cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To my fellow writers proving sample articles for free: Thanks a lot!

eocampos
Eliseo O Member Since: Mar 11, 2016
11 of 38
Fortunately you have the option to go and find another client. It's clear that he/she is trying to get benefits/advantages from contractors, it's your choice to reach other client with whom both of you can have benefits.
This widget could not be displayed.
12 of 38

@Emily H wrote:

I was recently in discussions with a client about a job (that they claimed would be ongoing) writing research-heavy tech blog posts.  The client requested a free custom sample article based on a prompt/topic that they sent, saying that they would choose among the four interviewees based on which sample was best and would pay for the article if it was so good that they decided to use it.  I responded that I could do the sample for a small initial fee but not for free, and the client's response was: "About the free sample, unfortunately, I can't make an exception.Because other two writers doing the same assignment with no charge. There shouldn't be a problem with UpWork. They care if we do the transaction out of Upwork, which we won't."

To anyone who does this:  You're screwing over your colleagues by creating unrealistic expectations among clients. You're setting a standard where everyone has to do hours of free work for jobs they might not even get.  Now this client is getting two free articles to use on their company websites -- if they keep re-posting similar ads and "interviewing" writers in this manner, they might not ever need to actually hire someone!  Not working for free shouldn't be an "exception" or something clients think Upwork "doesn't care about." For me to research, write and proofread a 1000-word tech blog post that I'd feel comfortable using as a sample of my skills would take maybe a couple of hours.  I don't have time to do that for free because I have stuff to write for real clients who have actually hired me and agreed to pay.  If you think you DO have time for that, please rethink your approach to your work!

Take the time, open a ticket, report the client and provide all details to Upwork's customer service. 

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
13 of 38

Hi Emily,

Please take a screenshot of the client's request to provide a free sample in order to be considered for the job and contact Customer Support. Our team will review and take appropriate action since requesting free work is a violation of Upwork ToS.

Untitled
versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
14 of 38

Please guys, check this forum topic if you want to have an idea about how stupid people are:

Is it worth working on a job posting with out getting the job or even client inviting for interview

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
15 of 38

@Rene K wrote:

Please guys, check this forum topic if you want to have an idea about how stupid people are:

Is it worth working on a job posting with out getting the job or even client inviting for interview

René,

And all those freelancers attaching the finished work to my friends RFP were from the three countries in this area. 

kulkarni_ashish
Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
16 of 38

René,

And all those freelancers attaching the finished work to my friends RFP were from the three countries in this area. 

I feel for their desperation, really do. But Upwork should take strong steps against these freelancers as a warning. Repeat offenders should be banned i feel.

This is worse for the platform than accepting payments outside of the platform. Upwork loses reputation as well as the potential revenue.

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
17 of 38

@Ashish K wrote:

This is worse for the platform than accepting payments outside of the platform. Upwork loses reputation as well the potential revenue.

I agree.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
18 of 38

+2

@Ashish K wrote:

This is worse for the platform than accepting payments outside of the platform. Upwork loses reputation as well the potential revenue.

I agree.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
19 of 38

@Rene K wrote:

Not the sharpest tool in the thread that one. 

20 of 38

@Rene K wrote:

Several freelancers who advocated in the community for free work and low payment escpecially for newcomers and freelancers from developing countries later appeared as agencies and/or farmers as well. I could mention some names and prove that. However, I abstain from doing it. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS