cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To my fellow writers proving sample articles for free: Thanks a lot!

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
31 of 38

Inshira H wrote:
This happened to me recently. Infact currently happening. The client wants a sample of 1000 words research based article. I don't think he will pay for me since his budget is 10$ for the actual work,which is 1000 words on a daily basis. It is like some kind of exam we have to sit for inorder to get qualified. When I mentioned about the effort and work load I have to put he/ she had an attitude which I think is really rude. He said he doesn't care about my day,well I do. Some clients pay very less for a high work load, sometimes even nothing like what you had mentioned for a free sample.

Just flag the job as inappropriate and move on; you're wasting your time having discussions with this horrible-sounding person. He's either going to take the free work and run off with it, or if he does hire you, he'll be incredibly demanding, make you jump through all kinds of hoops and revise the work multiple times, and then give you a crappy review anyway. Believe me, you're not missing out on anything by simply refusing to work for such clients.

hashim_inshira
Inshira H Member Since: Dec 9, 2019
32 of 38
You are right. That's exactly what I thought of. Like they will be very demanding and will never show that they are satisfied with the work and leave a bad review. You can assume a clients attitude in the future by the way he/she communicates in the beginning.
tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
33 of 38

Inshira H wrote:
This happened to me recently. Infact currently happening. The client wants a sample of 1000 words research based article. I don't think he will pay for me since his budget is 10$ for the actual work,which is 1000 words on a daily basis. It is like some kind of exam we have to sit for inorder to get qualified. When I mentioned about the effort and work load I have to put he/ she had an attitude which I think is really rude. He said he doesn't care about my day,well I do. Some clients pay very less for a high work load, sometimes even nothing like what you had mentioned for a free sample.

This client will probably never hire anyone. If he can go around collecting full custom samples from different writers for free, why would he have need to pay anyone to write content for him?

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
34 of 38

You're absolutely right, Emily, but there will always be freelancers who will comply with client demands for free work. I suspect these freelancers are not in the higher echelon of their craft, but I also suspect these cheap or dishonest clients get what they pay for.

If you have samples of previous similar work you've done that should be enough for a prospective client to judge your skills. And I would provide any samples with a copyright mark, which would be difficult to enforce but would really get under the skin of a certain type of client.

The best clients are serious business people who don't expect freebies. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
35 of 38

Serious businesspeople know they can't afford to have people on their team who work for free.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
36 of 38

Will L wrote:

You're absolutely right, Emily...

It seems Emily has moved on. In the more than 3.5 years since she made this post, she's done quite well for herself on Upwork, apparently unimpeded by the desperate newcomers who offer free work.

4950901b
Pooja G Member Since: Jul 1, 2020
37 of 38

Hello Emily,

Thank you so much for raising this! I found a ghostwriting project here that requests the intro and chapter 1 sample for free. Although the project is really interesting, I am so uncomfortable doing all this labour for free- it takes time to write and edit according to client guidelines. Don't see why any writer should accept it! It does no wonders to anyone's self esteem or to the profession as a whole.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
38 of 38

Pooja G wrote:

I found a ghostwriting project here that requests the intro and chapter 1 sample for free.

It is also not allowed. Clients are forbidden to do this. Flag the job post and or report the message where they are asking for free samples and decline.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS