🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » To report or not to report
Page options
prachi163
Community Member

To report or not to report

I was contacted by a new client (payment unverified) for a job. He wants a test job. When I asked him to get his payment verified and send a formal contract, he said I can contact him through LinkedIN.

Since he is a new client, I have made him aware that the contract needs to remain on Upwork. He says he did not mean to take it off Upwork and I have given him the benefit of doubt.

Am I still liable to report him? Or do I let it go and give him the benefit of doubt that this was just a case of miscommunication?

I have a call scheduled with him in a few hours, and hopefully talking about things will clear them out and there won't be any ambiguity.

Any advice is appreciated.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Prachi T wrote:

I was contacted by a new client (payment unverified) for a job. He wants a test job. When I asked him to get his payment verified and send a formal contract, he said I can contact him through LinkedIN.

Since he is a new client, I have made him aware that the contract needs to remain on Upwork. He says he did not mean to take it off Upwork and I have given him the benefit of doubt.

Am I still liable to report him? Or do I let it go and give him the benefit of doubt that this was just a case of miscommunication?

Report him for what? Unless the client clearly offers to PAY you outside of Upwork, you (obviously) don't have to report them. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Prachi T wrote:

Report him for what? Unless the client clearly offers to PAY you outside of Upwork, you (obviously) don't have to report them. 

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

It is recommended to keep all communication on Upwork, in case of disputes, Prachi.
However, asking to communicate outside Upwork is not a violation of the ToS.
But it is not recommended.
Personally, I would only communicate outside Upwork if it's an hourly contract, cos hourly has stronger payment protection.
calvo_juan
Community Member

I think the most important concern now is that your client initiates a contract inside Upwork with his payment method verified.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members