cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To the Moderators: Can you please have the proposals counter checked ASAP...

Highlighted
Carina Jocelyn S Member Since: Apr 14, 2016
1 of 9

Moderators,

Can you please have the proposals counter checked ASAP if it is working properly.  I've been searching for jobs and I've been noticing that the proposals count of some jobs get stuck at 5-10 or 10-15 even after hours have passed and they are just easy jobs that a lot of freelancers would surely apply to.  Like this one which was posted 4 hours ago but got stuck at 5-10 when actually it already has 38 applicants:  https://www.upwork.com/jobs/_~015f9de9eb3a7a3a3b/

Freelancers are thinking only a few (5-10) have applied.  Connects are wasted.  It was a lot better when we were still able to see the proposals list.  Applying to jobs has been so frustrating now.  How I wish Upwork would bring the proposals list back.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
2 of 9

Hi Carina, 

When you put your mouse over the question mark just beside the proposal count you will see a tip why the proposal count is such. 

Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 10.05.11 AM.png

If you check this thread, you will see the changes rolled out last April on how proposals are displayed on the platform. 

Under the “Client Activity on this Job” section you’ll see the following changes:

• Alongside “Proposals,” instead of showing a specific number we’ll show the following range: <5, 5-10, 10-15, 15-20, 20-50, >50.

• This range will include all proposals with the exception of:
    • Proposals that were withdrawn by the freelancer;
    • Proposals declined or archived by the client;
    • Job invitations the freelancer has not responded to, or clients have withdrawn.
  • Clients will continue to be able to access all proposals submitted to their job post by clicking “Show More” on their applicant page.

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
3 of 9

Thanks for replying.

I know about that change and I'd say those range are useless because they are not even consistent with the real no. of applicants. There's a difference between "the tip why the proposal count is such" and "inactivity in the proposals range" especially in the first few hours. Inactivity as in it doesn't decrease/increase.

https://www.upwork.com/jobs/_~01dbab7330fae80259/

That is another example. The proposals counter got stuck at 5-10, then 10-15 after an hour. 2 hours of being posted have passed and it's still at 10-15 when actually it already has 84 applicants. That job post is under data entry and it's impossible that there are only 10-15 applicants in 1 hour, much more 2 hours.  Our connects are wasted on applying to these jobs that don't show the real no. of applicants or range. I wouldn't bother applying if it had shown correctly 15-20 or 20-50.

I'm losing my connects and I can't afford to buy more connects. Is it too much to ask to give the right people to handle this a heads up and have it checked instead of giving me a copy paste reply? I think that is the purpose of why we write and let you know so you can act on it and not just give us copy paste replies.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
4 of 9

Hi Carina,

The only method I've found for sure how many proposals have been submitted it is:
Select the word "Proposals", click on it with the right mouse button in the window that appears select "Inspect".
A side window in which the actual number of proposals appears opens.
The trouble is that know I mention it, they'll hide Smiley Sad

Highlighted
5 of 9

Hi Maria,

Thanks for sharing and risking your only method.  Yeah, I know they can do that.  They can be mean sometimes.  I just hope they don't hide it because I didn't get your method anyway.  I tried it but didn't get it.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Vinod Kumar N Member Since: Jan 12, 2013
6 of 9

@carina Jocelyn S wrote:

Thanks for replying.

I know about that change and I'd say those range are useless because they are not even consistent with the real no. of applicants. There's a difference between "the tip why the proposal count is such" and "inactivity in the proposals range" especially in the first few hours. Inactivity as in it doesn't decrease/increase.

https://www.upwork.com/jobs/_~01dbab7330fae80259/

That is another example. The proposals counter got stuck at 5-10, then 10-15 after an hour. 2 hours of being posted have passed and it's still at 10-15 when actually it already has 84 applicants. That job post is under data entry and it's impossible that there are only 10-15 applicants in 1 hour, much more 2 hours.  Our connects are wasted on applying to these jobs that don't show the real no. of applicants or range. I wouldn't bother applying if it had shown correctly 15-20 or 20-50.

I'm losing my connects and I can't afford to buy more connects. Is it too much to ask to give the right people to handle this a heads up and have it checked instead of giving me a copy paste reply? I think that is the purpose of why we write and let you know so you can act on it and not just give us copy paste replies.

Thanks!

Just a question - How do you know it has 84 applicants? Is it because of premier membership?

Highlighted
7 of 9

Hi Vinod,

No, I'm not a paying member.  A tip on how to was shared by a freelancer in a thread when the removal of the proposals list was still a very hot issue.  It just happened that I was following the thread that time.  But as usual, they did something about it and all I can see now is just a number which is useless.  I'm blind now and it's been so frustrating landing a job.  I can't see where I stand in the line anymore. Smiley Frustrated

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 9

Hi Carina Jocelyn,

I have checked whether there are any known issues with the proposal range updating and it doesn't look like there are any. I also checked the actual number of proposals for several jobs and the ranges on the job postings reflected it correctly. The job you are referring to has already been filled and closed.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
9 of 9

Thanks for giving me a better-than-copy-paste reply, Valeria.  I'm not sure though if the issue has been solved.

I didn't say it happens to all job posts.  I only said to "some".  It's like when customer support would say that I may have been "one of the affected users by a recent bug".  The job I was referring to has already been filled and closed.  What do you expect?  If I had seen a robbery going on and notified the police about it and they came to check it "more than 10 hours later", do you think they would still find the robbers there?  Smiley Frustrated

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS