🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Too many Proposal = Ban?
Page options
eworre2000
Community Member

Too many Proposal = Ban?

Hello,

I have heard that there is a limit to how many proposals can be proposed and if a freelancer makes too many unsuccessful proposal they are banned. I have been searching for an official answer to this question but I have not found the answer.  So does too many unsuccessful proposals lead to a ban and if so how many over what time period? And please cite and link official proof of the answer.

Thanks in advance.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Emmanuel W wrote:

So does too many unsuccessful proposals lead to a ban and if so how many over what time period?

Only if you are never or rarely ever hired. Nobody will tell you the exact ratio, but ultimately there is no point hanging on to freelancers who never or rarely get hired.

More Info can be found here

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Emmanuel W wrote:

So does too many unsuccessful proposals lead to a ban and if so how many over what time period?

Only if you are never or rarely ever hired. Nobody will tell you the exact ratio, but ultimately there is no point hanging on to freelancers who never or rarely get hired.

More Info can be found here

netdiatom
Community Member

I was wondering this also, I just find it strange how you can purchase unlimited connects and then upwork will let you pay for them and use them all. You get no job, no connects back, but you get banned?

I am new to upwork, I just finished my first client project and am pending 3 more. I have submitted about 80 proposals in the past 3 days for jobs I am willing and confident to do. Why is it my fault if the customer doesnt hire me? Maybe my rate is out of their price range etc. I spent maybe $40 USD on connects this week for Upwork. If i get banned I will be really mad.  

Higgs J wrote:

I was wondering this also, I just find it strange how you can purchase unlimited connects and then upwork will let you pay for them and use them all. You get no job, no connects back, but you get banned?

I'm pretty sure that Upwork stopped banning people for submitting too many proposals without getting hired when they changed the connects system.

I am new to upwork, I just finished my first client project and am pending 3 more. I have submitted about 80 proposals in the past 3 days for jobs I am willing and confident to do. Why is it my fault if the customer doesnt hire me? Maybe my rate is out of their price range etc. I spent maybe $40 USD on connects this week for Upwork. If i get banned I will be really mad.  

This fault/penalized thing is a bizarre way of looking at things that seems all-too-common among unsuccessful Upwork freelancers. If clients don't want to hire you, having you on the site is bad for Upwork, bad for clients, and bad for other freelancers. It doesn't matter whose "fault" it is that they don't want to hire you. They might not want to hire you because you are so amazing that they are too intimidated to interact with you and it still wouldn't be profitable for Upwork to have you here.

I think upwork has stopped banning people for sending too many proposals now. This was illogical and unfair with the freelancers. 

Higgs,

Upwork is not transparent on the details of many of its policies, but I doubt Upwork will ban a new freelancer who initially applies to a number of available jobs in a specialty where there are lots of open projects. But, for various reasons, it probably isn't a good idea to spam clients by sending large amounts of identical proposals to different clients over an extended period of time. 

I also doubt Upwork is banning new freelancers solely for excessive job proposals as a means of reducing its millions of registered freelancers.

Considering that only 53,316 freelancers worldwide earned money working on Upwork in the three months ended June 30, 2020, there are likely much better ways of reducing its count of what some commentators say is millions of idle/unsuccessful freelancers than banning new freelancers soon after they join Upwork.

Upwork has clearly said that it isn't concerned with losing freelancers, since there is such a glut, but I have never seen any information from Upwork that it is actively trying to remove idle freelancers from its rolls.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths