si4en

Too many free jobs on Odesk!

Odesk seems to be one of the popular translation related sites that have the most job postings. However, the problem with this site is that most of the job postings are in reality free jobs; less than 0.01 USD per word, sometimes less than even 0.001 USD per word. And some bad job posters try to cajole translators into doing free jobs by delusively telling them that they will give them highest evaluation ratings. It is a kind of fraud. Translation should not be such a cheap job and translators should not be treated in such a humiliating way. And the Odesk managers have the responsibility of protecting translators from manipulative bad clients. I suggest that Odesk set a minimum rate, hopefully 0.02-0.03 USD per word, encouraging us to report fraudulent job posters.
11 REPLIES 11
g_nembhard

oDesk is only a platform which connects clients with freelancers. The rate you receive is up to you. If you don't like those rates, don't apply for those jobs.
anne_ginger

you can flag those promising 5 stars and those asking for free work.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄

The flag option just doesn't work. There is a company posting the same request for free samples over and over each month, they never hire anyone but keep doing it. I informed oDesk about it and there is no change.

Thank you for reporting, Juan! I have followed up on this issue and got a confirmation that the Marketplace Quality Team took actions against the account of the client you are referring to. We do appreciate your help with identifying users who violate oDesk Policies.
~ Valeria
Upwork

Do you really? ** This so-called client scammed a lot of freelancers, making them write tons of articles since the job is opened and then disappeared. I have flagged the job a few times and it's still there. Make a test... apply to the job and if "Vince" answers, see how nice it is to work for free. *Removed by admin

Hi Daniel, Thank you for reporting the client. I checked and was informed that negative actions have been taken against the account of the client who posted that job.
~ Valeria
Upwork

Check again, the jobs are still up there.

Everytime someone from oDesk says a client asking for free work has been dealt with, I think it is simply a copy-pasted response. If not, then what would explain the fact that flagged jobs and clients are still up on the site despite supposedly being addressed?

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
versailles

I view it as a filter. Those who accept to work for such rates are low quality providers. When they are busy slaving for peanuts, the real translators cans focus on real jobs ... ... probably somewhere else 🙂
-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
prestonhunter

OK, I know this is not a perfect answer and does not address all the issues involved, but to a certain extant I believe the best way to discourage bad behavior from that small percentage of clients who are bad is... Better behavior from contractors. Freelancers on this platform need to NOT apply to those bogus jobs or at least not do any work there once they realize what the real story is.
gabrieled

OP, true, US$0.01 per word doesn't deserve bothering with. Since when and/or where is US$0.02 to US$0.03 an acceptable rate for a professional translator.

The problem is good freelancers come, but will not stay.