🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Too many spam posts
Page options
sarvajain
Community Member

Too many spam posts

Is anyone lately seeing too many spam posts on upwork?

From the last 2 week or so, I am seeing a lot of job posts which are clearly spam. They have external links or those posts have been posted multiple times from different accounts.

Is upwork doing anything to get rid of them?

14 REPLIES 14
motyduke
Community Member

yes , saw a lot of them. Many today with telegram links.It seems a scam. I am a bit surprised that upwork cannot filter them before publishing.

20b8156b
Community Member

Just crazy how many there are at the moment!  Agreed that I am surprised they are not being filtered 😞

a99720de
Community Member

I also see a lot. What surprises me is that they are not filtered with the phrases they use since they are "copy & paste", when they reach me I report them as spam but I see that they continue to post them with figures that attract attention in relation to work and the enormous number that "pay".

yofazza
Community Member

It's discussed everyday.

Upwork is doing a couple of things, but they're still not enough.

Filtering is technically simple, but they don't do that, because in my opinion there might be some undesired effect if it's not done carefully.

In the mean time we can filter the post ourselves:

https://www.upwork.com/nx/jobs/search/?sort=recency&exclude_terms=telegram&payment_verified=1

The above will exclude clients with unverified payment method and has included telegram in the post.

Beware of scam, I'm counting at least 3 people lost over $1000 in the past week:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/List-of-red-flags-for-scams/m-p/1017044/highlight/true...

Some scammers also have Verified payment and Plus status.

kwtse
Community Member

You are a lifesaver. I did not know that I could exclude search terms this way.

I am a translator, and there is only one proper post on the first two pages of the listings now. They seemed to have multiplied over the past few days, to the point that I have stopped looking.

superz00m
Community Member

I've tried to connect support several times about these posts but nobody answered.
I flagged a hundred of such posts as inapropiriate.
Fresh spam posts are still here.

f5f2b462
Community Member

Upwork is doing nothing! I have never been contacted after reporting a scam. I bet I get 10 a day! So glad 10% of my money goes to Upwork...for what! Make everyone have verified payment. I bet it would help with this issue.

edesignmk
Community Member

Many of the scammers are payment verified. That will not help a lot.

This is 10 in the last 24 hours...all unverified payments

f5f2b462_0-1647960217552.png

yofazza
Community Member

Money come from clients to both freelancers and Upwork. They need to think carefully if they want to limit the clients in any way. It's understandable.

Also it's proven that clients will search & interview freelancers first, before they're willing to go to the next step.

In the mean time you can filter out the unverified clients when the job feed is like that:

https://www.upwork.com/nx/jobs/search/?sort=recency&payment_verified=1

9596e6bd
Community Member

Scammers are everywhere. upwork cut %20. and still there are scammers here. what a shame....

pgiambalvo
Community Member

Is anyone lately seeing too many spam posts on upwork? Yes.

Is upwork doing anything to get rid of them? They say they are.

bionic86
Community Member

I'm also seeing a lot of spam posts. Many of them have an email contact, so I'm wondering why can't Upwork filter or avoid publishing such posts. For me is important because when I'm looking for jobs I see a lot of spam and is not good.

We do not know why Upwork is not filtering these posts and they haven't told us.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths