cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too nervous to apply for just about any job now...

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
11 of 25

That's odd. I find long term risky which is why I decided to specialize in a short term category.. 

I worked a long term job and after 6 months they changed the hours around considerably and I could not do the hours they wanted so I had to leave. Because of that they gave me bad feedback. 

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
12 of 25

@Jean S wrote:

That's odd. I find long term risky which is why I decided to specialize in a short term category.. 

I worked a long term job and after 6 months they changed the hours around considerably and I could not do the hours they wanted so I had to leave. Because of that they gave me bad feedback. 

Jean,

I work long term jobs and find it very comfortable. I have two clients I have been with over 2 years, and a new one I hope will pan out to be as long term as my other two.

The good part about long term is you know where you stand with the client whereas with short term, yes you get it done and move on to another, but I feel long term is more of a guarantee of "not feeling insecure" then short term jobs.

You all are in control of your feelings and what you do. If you feel you are going to fail, you will fail. If you are positive about your work you will succeed. It already has been stated there are other places online if you are feeling insecure on Upwork. You could OMG even promote yourself and start your own business off Upwork.

I run a group that 90% of the women and men on the group run their own business, promoting themselves, marketing, getting thier own clients and make more money then a lot of jobs posted on Upwork, but it means putting the time and effort in to find the clients and do the work. If you depend on Upwork as your only income you are putting all your eggs in one basket. You should never depend on one source of income being self employed.

I have a farm I earn income off of as well as work fulltime on Upwork. If my world were to come crashing down tomorrow I would either go back to a regular job or find work elsewhere, but I sure am not going to let the JS or anything else control my life or my feelings.

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
13 of 25

@Suzanne N wrote:

If you depend on Upwork as your only income you are putting all your eggs in one basket. You should never depend on one source of income being self employed.

One day is not long enough for me to follow all new web places and trends. I admire everyone else who suceed. It's an excellent advice, to have a backup plan. I should try to focus on that. 

14 of 25

The concern about ratings and the power of clients to destroy reputations has also been expressed on other applications that I'm aware of, e.g. AirBnB. In some cases the concern becomes anxiety which can be debilitating and stop a service provider from taking even calculated risks.

Working alone, from home without others in the same boat to vent to can make the situation seem worse. This community platform is a good 'safe space' for people to explore these feelings and hopefully to find solutions and encouragement. 

I was interested in your network and your advice for developing more than one income stream is valuable. I saw also that some people are getting together face to face to discuss issues. 

I live in a small town in the middle of a country at the southern most tip of Africa. It is easy to feel isolated and forgotten with only an information system between you and your livelihood.  

Maybe, instead of dividing the Upwork base into 90%ers and others, there could be an internal mechanism whereby newbies could work their way up the ranks and be encouraged along the way. Clients do not need to see that ranking but we can start a mutual admiration society and celebrate small victories. 

Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
15 of 25

Hello,

there are several threads with a number of posts with basically the same subject matter that I've read, and to be honest, I think people are somewhat overreacting and paying too much attention to something that in my mind doesn't really have as much of a potential affect as they seem to believe. I mean - "too nervous too apply"... "terrified"... really???

So your perfect 5 star rating might drop to what, 4.8? Shocker! 4.5 even? That would still be a good 90%!

Same with the job success. Mine was actually lower than it is now, I even received the infamous warning from Upwork/Odesk. Part of that was my own fault, part of it was due to clients' behaviour that I just refused to deal with. And, if I may say so, part of it was also the fact that my life, career and income doesn't depend on a few pixels displayed on a single website.

Anyway, I don't think clients care that much about this data. I think it's more of a matter of your actual application (nailing down why you're the right fit for this specific job) and the overall appearance of the data on your profile (e.g. proof that you did similar projects, that you stayed with some projects over a longer period of time, that you made certain amount of $ you wouldn't have made if your work is crap, etc.)

Also, I think you're kind of underestimating clients if you think their main focus is that perfect score. I mean, it's not like they are speed-browsing Amazon for something not so important where they just click on the item with the best rating and off to the shopping cart with it (and if it doesn't turn out that great, oh well, it was only $7.99 anyway).

In most cases, clients work for someone or something else too - it may be their employer/client, it may be their own business. They have had projects in their past where they screwed up, they have had clients/employers who were difficult, unfair, etc. Basically what I am trying to say is - they understand that even though an overall score might say 90%, that doesn't mean they can't get 100% for their particular project.

I had a client hire me recently who thought that my application was good, but who was also concerned with my lower JS score, which they addressed and gave me the chance to explain the reasons for it. I did, and all was cool.

So, I am sorry, but I really don't get all the fuss about this. I mean, seriously, you don't want to apply for a project that looks like good money because a client might not leave feedback? Go ahead then, somebody else sure will.

Community Guru
16 of 25

@Sandra T wrote:

my life, career and income doesn't depend on a few pixels displayed on a single website.

Mine does. It's my only source of income. With money I earn here I pay the rent, bills, food, etc. 

If UpWork suspends me due to low JS, well, I can hang myself. I'm terrified and scared as much as I can be.

@Sandra T wrote:

I had a client hire me recently who thought that my application was good, but who was also concerned with my lower JS score, which they addressed and gave me the chance to explain the reasons for it. I did, and all was cool.

Not many are so patient and reasonable. Some don't even bother to click on a portfolio but instead ask for it to be linked in a message. Which means, the difference they see among applicants is first their cover letter, feedback, JS score, and the rest.

Plus, there is a search tool. When I receive invitations from time to time they happen to be invite only. Which means I don't have any option to apply for those jobs. Only way a potential client will find me among other freelancers is how close to first pages system lists me. With low JS my chances are significantly ruined.

25 of 25

@Ramon B wrote:

This is probably because she is dependant upon her husband for the majority of her income, and doesn't understand how hard it can be for others. However, she is right in that it is not the end of the world, and there are plenty of other ways to make money. Cat Happy

Not in my country. People with high school only, or students, can work usual 8-10 hours of work in a shop or such a place for $3/hour, or $450/month, if they get lucky to find a job. Minimum hourly wage in US is $7, in Croatia $3.   

25 of 25

@Ramon,

Professionalism, eh? Smiley Happy

But, having looked at your profile with all those jobs in, um, progress, I get your nervousness now.

Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
19 of 25

Hi Vesna,

I understand that the pressure of having to make ends meet can be terrifying. Believe me, I do.

However, although I do think that Odesk/Upwork is a decent site and certainly offers opportunities, it's by far not all the internet has to offer.

And, despite the many difficult factors a freelancing career may include (the pressure, the worries, the instability, etc), for me one of the main favorable aspects has always been that I am the one who is in control. Not a single client/employer, not a single website. Sure, that won't put food in my fridge when it comes down to having to make a living. But it has helped me to keep going and persue different paths of opportunities for quite a few years now.

Best of luck! Smiley Happy

Community Guru
20 of 25

@Sandra T wrote:

Hi Vesna,

However, although I do think that Odesk/Upwork is a decent site and certainly offers opportunities, it's by far not all the internet has to offer.

I tried few other freelance websites, and they seemed not to be so fruitful.  Smiley Happy