Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tools necessary for VA?

paola_nyc
Ace Contributor
Paola S Member Since: Jul 27, 2016
1 of 9

Hello everyone,

I wanted to know if there are some must-haves for VAs to have at their home office. For instance, would I need a printer, copier, and scanner? Are there programs that I need to download necessary to complete VA type of jobs?

Also, when a job calls for receptionist and phone call assistance, how does that work being that clients are all over the world? do I need to put credit on my skype account? if so, that would come out of my own pocket....

Any other tips and insight will be greatly appreciated!

sorry for the questions, I am a newbie! can you tell? 🙂

Best,

Paola

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 9

You need a chair, a table and a coffee machine. Everything else is bonus 🙂

More seriously if you have to make outbound calls, pick either Skype or a VoIP provider but call expenses have to be paid by the client. Either they provide with the VoIP account, or they pay you, in advance, through Upwork. To cover your expenses + the Upwork's fees.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 9

A VA hired on Upwork is generally going to be a remote worker who handles things that can be transmitted over internet or phone lines... I would imagine most VAs do not need a copier, scanner or printer, as these would only be used to work with physical documents.

paola_nyc
Ace Contributor
4 of 9

Thank you for your comments. Yes, I thought the same but in doing research one article mentioned that it was important to have a printer etc to keep proof of your work. I thought it was odd because if anything I have a usb drive or I can save copies of documents. Some of these articles end up confusing me and keeping me from applying to any jobs.

paola_nyc
Ace Contributor
5 of 9

Thank you for your comments and tips, Rene. I will keep in mind about the voip when I interview! 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
6 of 9

re: "important to have a printer etc to keep proof of your work"

That's funny.

I have completed over 90 jobs on Upwork. I have never printed any of my work.

I have archives of digital files. Nobody is going to come to my house and look through a filing cabinet for proof of my work. If somebody wants proof of my work, I can send them digital files.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
7 of 9

re: "I thought it was odd because if anything I have a usb drive or I can save copies of documents."

A serious professional does not save documents on a USB drive.

What are you going to do if the USB drive..

(No, that's a bad question)

What are you going to do WHEN the USB drive is misplaced, lost, stolen, run through the washing machine, or has a mechanical failure?

It is acceptable to save files on a USB drive IN ADDITION TO your remote, off-site server back-up location. It is not okay to save files ONLY to a USB drive.

csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
8 of 9

I'm not a VA but I'm in an administrative category.  I guess it depends on whether or not Upwork is the only place you'll be working.  If you're going to have a home office, you'll need to think a little more broadly.

In my case, a printer/scanner is a must have.  A full Microsoft office suite is going to be very important.  You should also make sure that you're fully versed in Google Docs, Outlook and Gmail calendars.  Skype is great.  I concur on that point completely.

As you move forward, you'll probably find you need certain things for certain jobs and you'll build your office that way.

paola_nyc
Ace Contributor
9 of 9

Thank you, Christy. Those are some great suggestions. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS