cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Top Rated Freelancer Email

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
41 of 55

I just can't see the purpose of the "top rated" badge when most of the actice user base gets it. It also seems confusing because now there is a star rating, a job success score, and a badge to go by. Why not visualize the success score and reserve the top rated badge for truly exceptional freelancers (no offense). 

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
42 of 55

@Krisztina U wrote:

I just can't see the purpose of the "top rated" badge when most of the actice user base gets it. It also seems confusing because now there is a star rating, a job success score, and a badge to go by. Why not visualize the success score and reserve the top rated badge for truly exceptional freelancers (no offense). 

How do you know it isn't being awarded to those exceptional only? No one knows yet how many people will have the badge.

Highlighted
Community Guru
43 of 55

Suzanne, the criteria to qualify are right in the top rated freelancer email, few of them scream exceptional to me. 

Community Guru
44 of 55

Whatever...

And the benefits aren't exceptional either...

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
45 of 55

My 2 cents worth about this badge: if I were a client, I would be more impressed with a 'money back guarantee' badge, assuming oDesk is still making those available. Since freelancers couldn't see this badge on their own profiles, as far as I know, I have no idea if it's been discontinued.

46 of 55

The Money Back Guarantee is still available, John. 

Community Guru
47 of 55

I think the issue with the Money Back Guarantee is that oDesk offers it in the freelancer's name without the freelancer's consent, but if a client takes advantage of it, and wants the money back, the freelancer gets penalized for it, no questions asked. The top rated badge would be useful if the minimums were significantly higher, but $1000 per year is just way too low imho. Perhaps they forgot one or two zeros, who knows. As a client, I find it challenging to compare 3 different scores for a list of 10+ applicants on top of dealing with oDesk's recommended, best fit, and hidden labels. Hiring should be easy, but the number of different metrics make it a science project.

Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
48 of 55

Well I am under MBG and it started with my first hourly contract (before that I had just one 5 USD fixed-price job.) I am not sure how that fits into "oDesk provides a Money-Back Guarantee only on our best freelancers with impeccable work histories."

I mean -yes I appreciate it,  but I would hardly call  that one 5 USD job "impeccable work history.."  I mean by now it is, but  at that time it just wasn't. (And I know it sounds funny that I complain about something that actually benefited/benefits  me but I say it is a matter of principle.)EDIT:  Completely agree with Krisztina on everything about MBG,and how confusing it is for client to have 5 different labels displayed (top, mbg, recommended, success)  but I think that they aim to have success score eventually as a main thing (even now, you can see how it is  dominates visually over feedback score.) Also, I 'm not  a top freelancer so I really can't comment on that part.

Community Guru
49 of 55

I can see your points here on the $1000 a year but we don't know what they are basing their decisions on. I think perhaps that should be higher, but I don't think that a 90% feedback from some of the complaints on lower in the forum should be set differently. We really aren't getting much for the special treatment. 

We should have "Premium Support" whether we are a top freelancer or not. As it is we have fair to middlin customer support. I don't think being a top freelancer is going to fix customer support whether we get chat and phone support or not. 

I know you said no offense but for me at least it your comment was kind of like you stating I didn't deserve to be a top freelancer or anyone else that posted in this thread.

I know you probably did not mean that but that is how it came across. Like we all fit into some low standards and that we were deserving.

Community Guru
50 of 55

Suzanne, if my post offended you, I apologize, it was not my intention nor was it directed at you or anyone in this thread really - it was a general observation. Every single person in this thread who received the email could be exceptional, there's no way for me to tell and even if there was, my opinion is just one amongst many - it doesn't really matter. I based my post on the email we all got, and the criteria are way too soft for my own personal liking and despite having received it, it doesn't mean anything to me after having seen the criteria. I am frustrated with oDesk because after all these years, they still haven't come up with a solution to reward top performers and freelancers who continue to keep their business on oDesk despite the fact that 24 months have passed and they could easily take their client(s) off site. Freelancer's who work on long-term projects are still only one subpar rating away from having their oDesk career crushed - because once a contract surpassed a certain size, there is just no way to ever recover from it, and none of the new metrics/badges truly address that.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS