cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top Rated Freelancer Email

pandoraharper
Community Guru

I got an email today regarding yet another update Odesk is un-rolling. Apparently, the old "All-Star Freelancer program" is being canceled, and this new Top Rated Freelancer thing is replacing it.  No wonder they were in such a rush to roll out My Stats and show the Job Success % on profiles.

There is a new entry in the Support Pages for this, with both details and FAQ.  Here is the URL:

https://support.odesk.com/entries/61866640

54 REPLIES 54

I haven't got mine yet. I'm crying. I'll be missing out on, among other things:

• Exclusive job invites from our in-house recruiters. Oh, more invitations to jobs for writers and Polish civil engineers - goodee!

• Personalized recommendations to strengthen your profile. Perlease - can you not just leave us to run our businesses like we used to??

@Stephen B wrote:

I haven't got mine yet. I'm crying. I'll be missing out on, among other things:

• Exclusive job invites from our in-house recruiters. Oh, more invitations to jobs for writers and Polish civil engineers - goodee!

• Personalized recommendations to strengthen your profile. Perlease - can you not just leave us to run our businesses like we used to??

Now wait a sec! I could actually use some Profile assistance. 😛 What is this about Polish civil engeers that you speak of? What the heck is going on in Poland?

I got it now. Can't wait for my shiny new badge - yippee.

suznee
Community Guru

I also received the email, perhaps some have not as the email did say

"Stay tuned for our public announcement. You're the first to know—keep up the great work, and you'll be the first benefit. "

Perhaps since they haven't announced it they haven't emailed everyone? Or maybe since some of you are using Yahoo (which I would never use to undependable) it is just running late. 

Congratulations to those who did receive it.

@Suzanne N wrote:

I also received the email, perhaps some have not as the email did say

"Stay tuned for our public announcement. You're the first to know—keep up the great work, and you'll be the first benefit. "

Perhaps since they haven't announced it they haven't emailed everyone? Or maybe since some of you are using Yahoo (which I would never use to undependable) it is just running late. 

Congratulations to those who did receive it.

Gratz Suzanne!  I don't use Yahoo except for trash mail. I get notifications of oDesk email 3 different ways so that I don't miss anything important.

I think perhaps some sort of filtering might be involved with these outgoing emails like you said, because I'd have expected a lot more of the "hardcore" forum crowd to have chimed in here. Or maybe, just maybe, everyone is busy working. Heh.

Pandora Thanks!

Hopefully everyone is working hard. I have been today..

I don't know about working hard, but I'm working. Maybe I'm trying to 'work smarter, not harder.' By the way, the email says,

"Stay tuned for our public announcement. You're the first to know—keep up the great work, and you'll be the first benefit."

I think they meant "you'll be the first to benefit."

@John K wrote:

I don't know about working hard, but I'm working. Maybe I'm trying to 'work smarter, not harder.' By the way, the email says,

"Stay tuned for our public announcement. You're the first to know—keep up the great work, and you'll be the first benefit."

I think they meant "you'll be the first to benefit."

Wow John, I missed that. Good thing my job specialty is not proofreading!

@Pandora H wrote:

Wow John, I missed that. Good thing my job specialty is not proofreading!

It's not mine, either. Kind of like counting the number of F's in "Finished files are the result of years of scientific study combined with the experience of years.”

When reading quickly, the brain can skip over the connective words like 'of' and 'to'

@John K wrote:

By the way, the email says,

Hahhaha, oh dear... 

Got mine too tonight. I changed from "available 30h/week" to "Full time". Maybe that did the trick? Or there is really some "system" regarding Email notifications...system and oDesk?

Hmm, got to be the first explanation. Smiley LOL

André,
I doubt that is the case - I've got my availability set as "Part-time" for a long time, and still received the e-mail today.

I'm personally most interested in "Exclusive job invites from our in-house recruiters" part. Anyone having clue what that could mean?

Judging by some of the reports on here (and by my own experience) it means that we will be sent irrelevant and useless job invitations chosen by real people in oDesk rather than by its robots

battershall-ramo
Community Guru

I got the 'best freelancers' one. But I've clearly dropped in the rankings since then. WHY FABIO WHY??????????? Man Mad

rahatur
Community Guru

Yataa! I am one of them! Smiley Happy

gmanalili
Active

I received one too. Smiley Happy

Two things:

1. It's not surprising, and almost expected, that since we are freelancers there appear to be a lot of "individual" new posts on the community forum. (As if no one has time or desire to search for the subject, this is based on my experience, but I took a leap and assumed someone, somewhere would be discussing the Top Rated" email.

2. My initial reason for wanting to speak on this topic is that I have a new client as of Monday, I joined a Skype meeting today and the subject was brought up by one person on my new team. Turns out that all three of us were sent the same email.

Bonus thing:

I want to know statistics about oDesk. I'm looking it up. How many of us are there? I saw some number like 500 the other day, but that can't be correct for a world wide total, can it?

-Shelly, (newb to the odesk forums)

P.S. Thing:

It just occured to me that two times during the meeting the client mentioned that he and his assistant took months to find us. They stated their displeasure with so many freelancers there were to wade through to find the freelancers that they desired, and who 'fit their bill', so-to-speak. Myself and the other freelancer both declined the job at first and the client talked us both into accepting it. I guess my point is that I feel grateful that the client took the time to find me and convince me, but I feel like maybe theses new category updates are helping potential employers find the person they want more efficiently and faster.

khanlaiq
Ace Contributor

After receiving this email, I was feeling honored and proud to myself, but after visiting this forum come to know that hundreds of us (or may be thousands) got the same email.

"Stay tuned for our public announcement. You're the first to know—keep up the great work, and you'll be the first benefit. "

Anyhow waiting for implementation of this "Top Rated" program Smiley Happy

@Laiq K wrote:

After receiving this email, I was feeling honored and proud to myself, but after visiting this forum come to know that hundreds of us (or may be thousands) got the same email.

"Stay tuned for our public announcement. You're the first to know—keep up the great work, and you'll be the first benefit. "

Anyhow waiting for implementation of this "Top Rated" program Smiley Happy

I don't see hundreds posting they got the email, although I would expect a large number on oDesk that are top freelancers did. It is a large community. oDesk didn't make the million dollar figures last year with bad freelancers, so I expect a large number of freelancers are in the top ranking.

I feel good that I am one of them, but I don't think a shiny new badge is going to get us more work. 

kugrin
Community Guru

I just can't see the purpose of the "top rated" badge when most of the actice user base gets it. It also seems confusing because now there is a star rating, a job success score, and a badge to go by. Why not visualize the success score and reserve the top rated badge for truly exceptional freelancers (no offense). 

suznee
Community Guru

@Krisztina U wrote:

I just can't see the purpose of the "top rated" badge when most of the actice user base gets it. It also seems confusing because now there is a star rating, a job success score, and a badge to go by. Why not visualize the success score and reserve the top rated badge for truly exceptional freelancers (no offense). 

How do you know it isn't being awarded to those exceptional only? No one knows yet how many people will have the badge.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS