🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Top Rated Freelancer Profile Discovered ZERO ...
Page options
deepgagan
Community Member

Top Rated Freelancer Profile Discovered ZERO Times

Hello Upwork,

I have always remained a top rated freelancer , but after the latest changes to Upwork connect program. Upwork has stopped showing my profile to potential clients. Hence, reduced the chances of getting job invitations.

My profile was discovered ZERO times from more than one more, it has never happened in 10+ years I have been on Upwork. Even, I am not getting any replies on the jobs I am applying which was not the case before the changes in Upwork connects. I am only applying to jobs which are highly relevant to my core skills.

Has upwork put any kind of restrictions on my Upwork profile. Please suggest.

Thanks

70 REPLIES 70

Hi Laura, 

Don't give up!  And certainly don't listen to the people who might tell you that freelance isn't for you, just because you're having problems.

You did the right thing coming to the community forums with this.  There are certainly some people here experiencing the same thing and there are some very kind people here who give their time generously to try to help people with their problems.

You're obviously taking pro-active steps on your side to try to sort things out, which is great.  

We've been told that the 0 profile view thing is a recognized bug.  I'd like to take that on faith (for now)

It's also worrying that, like you, a number of (not sure what proportion or how many in total, but some) freelancers, both veterans and newbies, who were previously doing quite well are suddenly finding it very hard to get hired.

UpWork has made some changes recently and we need to move with those changes.  But if you, me and others are experiencing difficulties because of bugs then I'd really like to get it sorted out.

Keep your chin up

Thank you very much Chris for your kind reply. I don't have the intention to give up, even if it means finding a new different platform to get my clients.

You'd have to agree how frustrated I feel when I'm taking all necessary steps to get my business going, and then finding that "because of bug" a known one at that, I'm not only wasting my connects (which now are money!!) and time!! (which is also money) for absolutely nothing!

I've read other threads similar to this after I posted, thanks to the link Maria shared, in which I got to see that more experienced freelancers got their rates lowered after the new connects policy, their profile not being seen, etc, etc...

How can UW charge us for a service they are not even delivering... It is not even fair trade... they're ripping us off... and there's noone (at least I haven't found it) from their side to turn to with this issue...

I feel very helpless and neglected... I would really like to contact someone who could actually give a solution, because in this forum, I feel I'm complaining to the air.... same as nothing.... 

I really appreciate people who took the time to answer on my post, specially Petra who took time of her own schedule to actually look at my profile, but as much as she helped me on that front, not even she could help me with a much bigger problem...

As much as I'd like to hide my frustration, at the moment, feeling that I've wasted so much time and effort on this, I just can't avoid it. 

Still, no doubt about it, thank you very much for your response.

Laura R wrote:

I'm taking all necessary steps to get my business going, and then finding that "because of bug" a known one at that, I'm not only wasting my connects (which now are money!!) and time!! (which is also money) for absolutely nothing!

That is actually nonsense.

The bug purely stopped you from seeing how many times you were discovered in searches, and it has nothing to do with connects or your time.

The stats there ONLY show how many times your profile was found in searches, they do not include views from proposals, and the views didn't "not happen" - you just couldn't SEE them for all of one blimming day.

Jeez!

d3b18365
Community Member

Same issue. I have been Top rated with 100 JSS for a long time. Before the new connects policy I got invitations quite often that I had to reject 70% of them. And now? I think I've got invited 5 time for 2 months lol 

I haven't looked into my stats and today I noticed my profile was viewed 0 times. I guess it's time for me to build another better source of income. Very frustrating.

Hi You Ran, I'm sorry you're having a hard time.  You're not alone

Aparrently the profile views thing is a bug.

Also, I tried to check your profile and it's been automatically set to private, which means that you're not appearing in search results.

You can ask them to set it back to public, and they'll get round to it within a week (took 12 hours for me)

I'd love to have a look at your profile because you're not the only top-rated freelancer with 100% JSS who's suddenly not getting hired.

@Chris 

Thank you for your reply and kindly checking my profile. And wow, how is that possible? I'm sure I've set my profile to be seen to Upwork users, not private. 

I'm attaching the screenshot of my setting. Or do I need to do something else ???? Besides, why does this need to happen when I didn't touch a thing. 

Would really appreciate if you could check my profile once more. Thanks a lot

I'm sure I've set my profile to be seen to Upwork users, not private. 

I'm attaching the screenshot of my setting. Or do I need to do something else ???? Besides, why does this need to happen when I didn't touch a thing. 

Would really appreciate if you could check my profile once more. Thanks a lot

just tried to check it again.  Normally, I'd just click on the link to your username.  You're then taken to a page detailing that user's latest posts and, from there you should be able to click on a link to their freelancer profile.

here's what I'm seeing: 

Chris P wrote:

just tried to check it again.  Normally, I'd just click on the link to your username.  You're then taken to a page detailing that user's latest posts and, from there you should be able to click on a link to their freelancer profile.

here's what I'm seeing: 

That does NOT mean a profile is set to private. It never has. It can also (and usually DOES) mean it is set to "Upwork users only" - this is because the forum is public and not part of the Upwork site, so "Upwork users only" freelancers show that way. That is why it says "This profile is not public" - which is not the same as saying it is private, let alone "set to private"

sergio-soria
Community Member

It's again that time of the year (equinox maybe) where your profile views turns to zero and stays flat as a heartbeat monitor for someone who has gone in the ER.

Anyone else having this problem? It was fine yesterday.

vipulnandan
Community Member

The prfile views data on My Stats page flatlined today. I am not too worried about the stats but I'd really like the clarification if this is effecting my profile discovery in any way?

chrisprince
Community Member

Hi Goran, 

please can you tell us exactly what effect (if any) having a profile set to private might have on a client responding to or not responding to a proposal?

I understand that profiles are set to private automatically if a freelancer has not been paid over a certain time period.  

Chris P wrote:

please can you tell us exactly what effect (if any) having a profile set to private might have on a client responding to or not responding to a proposal?

None at all and it is completely off topic for this thread

Can you also please try to quote what you respond to, as currently your posts appear as random responses nobody knows what to....

quote.jpg

Can you also please try to quote what you respond to, as currently your posts appear as random responses nobody knows what to....

quote.jpg

OMG!  thank you!  been trying to figure this out for some time.

Petra R wrote:

Chris P wrote:

Appreciate your view but I'd like to hear this from an official source.  I'm also not sure it's off topic.  Yes, the topic is "zero profile views" but the wider issue is "why are some of us finding it harder to get work", which is related. 

If someone was getting regular work they wouldn't care who was viewing their profile.  It's not about who's looking, but who's hiring (as you pointed out in a previous post)

Petra R wrote:

Chris P wrote:

Appreciate your view but I'd like to hear this from an official source.  I'm also not sure it's off topic.  Yes, the topic is "zero profile views" but the wider issue is "why are some of us finding it harder to get work", which is related. 

If someone was getting regular work they wouldn't care who was viewing their profile.  It's not about who's looking, but who's hiring (as you pointed out in a previous post)

Chris, you won't find an "official source" that knows more about the mechanics of the platform than Petra does. In any case, if you think about it you'll realize she's right--your profile visibility is irrelevant when you've submitted a proposal. The client can go directly to your profile. Visibility is only a factor when it comes to clients discovering you when they search.

Set your visibility however suits you and get on with things. If you want to worry about something, focus on the fact that clients now can only send three invitations per job post unless they pay. Personally, I've seen quantity of invites go down and quality go up somewhat. But I imagine this change is hitting different categories differently.

I had no idea they have to pay to invite people to interview for their jobs now. That could be the reason for why my invitations have dropped by about 90%.

Lindsey M wrote:
I had no idea they have to pay to invite people to interview for their jobs now. That could be the reason for why my invitations have dropped by about 90%.

It may actually be 4-5 free now. They started at 3 when they made the change, and many FLs and a few clients raised a ruckus. I think I saw a Mod say at some point that they'd increased it. But still, it's sure to be constraining some categories and probably smaller contracts.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi All,

A fix for this issue has been released and Profile Views section of My Stats should be showing correct data now. Could you please check and let us know if you're still experiencing the issue.

Thank you for your patience while we were getting this corrected.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria, mine was flatlined yesterday but appears normal now.

Thanks!

Thanks Valeria, it's looking good now. I wonder why this keeps happening from time to time.

Thanks Valeria (and other UW mods)

Though I'd be very grateful if someone from UW could confirm that this (or another possible bug) is not affecting discovery.

Thanks, Valeria. Now it shows... still, even when applying for jobs constantly, only 3 views?? I know nothing anymore...

Laura R wrote:

Thanks, Valeria. Now it shows... still, even when applying for jobs constantly, only 3 views?? I know nothing anymore...

Again... It does ***NOT*** include profile views that result from your proposals ***AT ALL***

Those views (again) are ***ONLY*** views that result from you being found in searches.

pushingpixels
Community Member

While I don't have the flatline issue. I came looking at the forums today to see if anyone else is having the same issues as me lately. 

I used to get from 5-10 job invitations a week and the past month I have maybe gotten 1 (all month long). I haven't changed anything in my profile aside from my JSS score dropping 3% from canceling a few jobs that were successfully completed, that were just stagnant for a while. 

Has anyone else seen a significant drop in job invitations? I was wondering if UpWork changed the way we're being viewed. 

Hi Lindsey, 

Thanks for posting.  You're not alone.  I've been having the same problem and I've spoken to a few others (some of whom are top-rated, 100% JSS veterans).

UpWork have made some changes recently and some of us seem to be falling through the cracks a bit.  I've been trying to find a solution to this (whether it's a client-side shift, a bug or wether we all just need to completely change how we target clients).

I tried to have a look at your profile but it's been set to "not public".  This is a new "feature" and you need to contact them and ask them to set it to public again.  This (aparrently) does not affect clients responding to your proposals, but it will mean that your profile won't come up in search.

Regarding the sudden fall in hires, I'll try to let you know if I find anything like a viable solution.

Thank you. I have my profile set so only Upwork users can see it. But not sure why you wouldn’t be able to since you are clearly an Upwork user.

I have 5 stars for all my projects with over 20k earned in about a year. I had a 100% jss, but like I said, I cleared out some old jobs and it fell to 97%. But that was after my interview offers stopped rolling in.

Lindsey, I'm wondering if you're still having the same issue. 

I am 100% JSS and top rated. I used to get invites to bid several times a week.

Suddenly over the last 1-2 months I am receiving 0 invites. So I took a look at my stats today and saw  "profile discovery" dropped over 80%!!  

Why am I working so hard to keep a great score and stay top-rated, verified, created when my profile isn't even discoverable in client searches!  The only thing that changed for me was upwork forced me to do the identity verification last month (which I did immediately, even though I'd already done it years ago).

I also just realized that the only other change I made within that time of the drop was completing the  "specialized profiles" and "popular projects" because I was tired of getting the nudges from Upwork to do so. Aren't those "features" supposed to increase profile discovery, not harm it? 

I also just realized that the only other change I made within that time of the drop was completing the  "specialized profiles" and "popular projects" because I was tired of getting the nudges from Upwork to do so. Aren't those "features" supposed to increase profile discovery, not harm it? 

That is what I changed too. I added them at first, then deleted them because I thought it might be hurting more than helping. 

Lindsey M wrote:

That is what I changed too. I added them at first, then deleted them because I thought it might be hurting more than helping. 

Did this help?  Or are you still not getting hired?

Chris P wrote:

Lindsey M wrote:

Did this help?  Or are you still not getting hired?

So the same day Lindsey replied that she deleted hers, I deleted the "popular projects"  as well, and left the specialized profiles - but included more keywords (as sentences) that were in my main profile in all my specialized profiles, just in case.

About a day later I started getting profile views again and the invitations to projects starting coming in again. It could just be a coincidence, but... 

Chris P wrote:

Hi Lindsey, 

Thanks for posting.  You're not alone.  I've been having the same problem and I've spoken to a few others (some of whom are top-rated, 100% JSS veterans).

UpWork have made some changes recently and some of us seem to be falling through the cracks a bit.  I've been trying to find a solution to this (whether it's a client-side shift, a bug or wether we all just need to completely change how we target clients).

I tried to have a look at your profile but it's been set to "not public".  This is a new "feature" and you need to contact them and ask them to set it to public again.  This (aparrently) does not affect clients responding to your proposals, but it will mean that your profile won't come up in search.

Regarding the sudden fall in hires, I'll try to let you know if I find anything like a viable solution.

For the benefit of those reading who may not realize Chris is mistaken...

Profiles being set to "not public" is NOT a "new feature". We all set our profile visibility, choosing one of three options: public, Upwork users only, or private. If a profile is set to UW users only, then it cannot be accessed from within the Community Forum, which is public space. Instead, you see "profile not public".

UW will switch a FL's profile visibility to 'private' any time that FL goes 30 days without earning. When this happens, you simply have to request they switch it back. The reason they do that is so clients can search without having to plow through acres of dormant or abandoned FL profiles. They will only see FLs who are active. 

Thanks Phyllis.  Actually someone corrected me on that in another thread.

Great, so profile being set to "visible" isn't the issue. 

Now, if only we could figure out why some of us have suddenly got 0 hires out of 50+ proposals where we previously got plenty of work.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members