🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Top Rated Plus Freelancer - Zero Proposal...
Page options
husainparvez
Community Member

Top Rated Plus Freelancer - Zero Proposal Responses

Hey Guys!

I have been submitting proposals for several jobs. Since I have been around long enough on Upwork, I know better than to apply to every job that comes in. I also tend to reply promptly to every invitation I received, and yet, there's no successful conversion. 

For the past 3 weeks, I have been picking up the jobs I am best suited for and applying within then client's budget, but not even a bite. I understand Upwork is more competitive these days, and I'm not expecting a red carpet invite for the frankly useless Top Rated Plus badge. 

All I want to know from my fellow freelancers, where am I going wrong here?

Please help!

32 REPLIES 32
dustin_slack
Community Member

To be honest Husain, I don't know where you are going wrong because I'm going through the exact same thing, as are other freelancers. I don't expect a red carpet invite for the Top Rate Plus badge, but man I worked super hard to get it and the 100% JSS. Now it's doing nothing for me. "Upwork Support" is telling me, "once you get a consultation set up and a project catalog set up, you'll see more clients". Did that, nothing man... silence. Very very few responses - I'd say one every couple of weeks. It's not what it used to be and it's super annoying. 

I just wrote a detailed post venting my frustrations with Upwork in it's current form. I've been on here since 2015-2016 and I've never had this much trouble getting clients. I get that it's competitive in every field, but something is different and I'm not the only freelancer who has noticed this. 

Something is amiss, someone suggested the algorithm, could be that, could be Upwork's new updates (consultations, project catalogs, boosts), I don't know. But it's messing with my money and it's so so frustrating when before these updates - never an issue getting a client. Had too many invites, I had choices, always had gigs. 

I don't know what is going on but it is a massive problem for freelancers. 

Best of luck Husain, I mean that sincerely!

Dusty

Consultation caps your earning capability to whatever you have there, imo. I think it's a move trying to copy Fiverr or however they're doing it. I hope Upwork finds its way back to its roots and identity.

So Upwork is basically not even showing a freelancer in the Search if they don't have an active Project Catalog?  That's crazy:  That's basically forcing every single freelancer to offer 'consultations' and 'fixed price' projects as their primary method of freelancing or they simply won't be seen in Search by clients.  

I actually still have an open support ticket (weeks/months old) because I elected to Turn my Consultation OFF because I was too busy to be bothered with it, and found a bug in the system where it actually still shows the consultation on my profile anyway (and is clickable by clients), but instead of being hidden like it should be, it shows that I am offering consultations 'starting at $0'.  As you might imagine, I started getting unwanted messages from clients inquiring about what looked like a 'free' consultation offer on my profile.  To this day, Upwork still hasn't found a way to truly hide the consultation like they say they do when the freelancer 'disables' it  and instead, it shows on your profile as a $0/free 'consultation', which would technically violate their own ToS  😞

"So Upwork is basically not even showing a freelancer in the Search if they don't have an active Project Catalog?  That's crazy:  That's basically forcing every single freelancer to offer 'consultations' and 'fixed price' projects as their primary method of freelancing or they simply won't be seen in Search by clients."

Not true.

Hi CJ,

I have 20 project catalogues and they don't work at all. Just my experience.

getcheeky
Community Member

Yep, same thing going on here, brother. I've been chatting with Dusty on his thread he started (on the same topic).

It's completely messed up. NOT happy about how Upwork is treating us. 

SOMETHING HAS GOT TO CHANGE WITH THE PLATFORM STAT.

beduria
Community Member

A couple alrgorithms ago, I would get over a hundred views on my profile weekly and a dozen or so invites even when my rate was considered high for what I do. For a few months now, I barely get views and invites. The people that would look at my profile would be those I send proposals too. My headline and overview was untouched since 2013 and didnt have problem getting clients. I had to change it a week ago but, I dont know how it works anymore. Ive closed clients the past couple weeks and had positive impact (earning and getting feedback) but my JSS hasnt moved an inch. Boosting and availability badges dont seem to work as well.

Hi Benedick,

I was considering giving a try to availability badges, but I was quite sure it wouldn't help. Now you confirm it doesn't help at all so thanks for sharing your experience!

I track may stats and the availability badge and it hasnt helped me in 90 days of experiment.

husainparvez
Community Member

Hey guys, 

Thank you for responding. You all may not have provided a solution for the problem (since we're all sailing in the same boat), but it is somewhat consoling to know that I am not doing something drastically wrong. 

Quite frankly, even using boost or availability options doesn't do anything. It is very competitive to land one especially if you send a proposal like "20mins and up ago" or "if their interviewing count status is up" (based on my observation). Very grateful that I've got previous loyal clients that always come back to get my service

miriam-ocampo
Community Member

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I'm going through the same thing and I'm getting really really frustrated. I'm a top-rated translator. I have a niece who wanted to join the platform and I just had to tell her, don't bother you are not going to get any jobs, try something else. I have been spending on "boost connects" for months and just getting a few low-paying jobs, I also changed my cover letter. I think I just need to look into other options...

Would you agree that the race to get a job just got more competitive?

belenc2018
Community Member

Hi,

I'm glad I'm not the only one having the same problem.

I can't offer a solution either, but things are getting worse since some months ago and some updates. I think it must have to do with the algorithm, the fact that they changed the way clients find freelancers, the importance they give to the keywords you use when creating your profile and that now we aren't allowed to see how we rank (so how the client sees us and what place we are in the lists)

496ae7a6
Community Member

Upwork is pretty much a race to the bottom. 

With the number that joins Upwork on a daily basis, the competition to get jobs will get frustrating. Honestly.

ergindesign
Community Member

Hi guys!

I'm having the same problem, I've already sent about 50 proposals and haven't received a response.

Clients are down, views are down to 0, and new job requests are 50+ in 5 minutes.

This is all very strange.

The inflow of new members on Upwork is alarming brother. Nothing is wrong. I feel the competition to get jobs just got tougher.

00137e0a
Community Member

Same problem here. 100% JSS, Top Rated Plus.

Negligible invites, profile views, and almost zero replies from many proposals.

Although every day someone opens a new thread here raising the same issue, Upwork still fails to acknowledge that there's something going on and if they're planning to do something to address it. 

paragranjan
Community Member

Hi Guy,

I also face the same issue. I try to look at all Upwork help topics. Overall I found only things to improve your proposal quality and improve your profile quality.

Thanks & Regards
Parag Ranjan
thanin
Community Member

Dear Husain 
I'm on your rank and I have been using my profile and refer to the previous client's witness. That's the best I can recommend. Despite the Rate , that is competitive. Client may look for the lowest rate or the one promptly reply quickly when they posted. 

i hope this can help.
Check your CV. 
Keep it short but being in the clien'ts shoe., Brief but hit or answer to what they want to see and

get hired. 

d01069d1
Community Member

Hi friend! No worries, it's not only your problem. So, there are a lot of skilled freelancers encountering this challenge. It's because there is fairly high competition on this platform. Just don't give up and make sure that your profile completeness is 100%. Create a great portfolio in your profile and add to it your previous work samples (if you have any). In the beginning, be ready to do any job just to have "5 stars" and positive feedback from your clients.

I hope you would get a project as soon as possible to work. Good Luck!

xadierc
Community Member

Heloo! Husain. I have also spent a lot of time here and I have noticed that lately it is very difficult to find a job.

What helped me find jobs share jobs in a google drive folder, that maybe helps the client go directly to your jobs and not have to go to your profile, that maybe saves them a step to see you.

lindsayshayne
Community Member

Hi, Husain. Unfortunately, I don't have any advice as I am experiencing the same thing. 100% JSS, dozens of written reviews, full portfolio on Upwork, external website and portfolio, etc. I've been full-time freelancing for 10 months, all of it on Upwork. Up until about 5 weeks ago, I was consistently booking 1.5k to 2k per month. I would bid on some jobs, but I also got several requests for interviews. Now, I'm averaging like 0.5% response rate for proposals? No one responds anymore, and I can't book work for the life of me. My only guess is that there was a change to an algorithm somewhere that doesn't pick up proposals that aren't boosted--or there's some sort of bot activity that is driving my proposals to the bottom of the heap. A year ago, I was excited to use Upwork, and it was working the way it was supposed to. See positing, bid on posting, get and interview, get and offer, sign contract, do job, get paid. Now it's bid, bid, bid, bid, bid....and nothing. As a freelancer, it's not sustainble.

0fad95c0
Community Member

Like you I have not had any responses to what would seem like certain prospects. Today I noticed on my Stats that I have 18 proposals for the year which is ludicrous it should be in the 60s! Are all my proposals going into a black hole? Of the the propsals they recognize my stas are good.

debashreeh19
Community Member

And here I thought it was only happening to me. I took a break from upwork for a couple of months and now that I'm back, i'm getting maybe 2 profile views a week and almost no responses to proposals. I used to be able to earn almost $1000 a couple of weeks. Now I'm scared that I won't even make half that amount. My JSS is 100%. I'm so disappointed.   

belenc2018
Community Member

I almost cried when I saw my stats this morning (attached).

I didn't pay much attention until a few months ago and it's discoraging.

Some time ago I used to get, at least, some small jobs and interviews. Now, not even that.

I thought things would be great when reaching 100% JSS. I did and nothing changed. Then I went down to 98% and it's a matter of time I go further down. But I don't see the point of caring about JSS anymore if it doesn't grant me more visibility (my proposals go unseen just like before) or more jobs.

f1785f8c
Community Member

Haven't been here long, but it seems to be review based and financially based. A client is likely to pick from whoever shows up on the first page, maybe two or an individual they've sent an invitation to.

On the flip-side, it's the financial aspect. You have people that are willing to take jobs way below the normal paygrade which just destroys the market. A client may have a limited budget and pick someone because they are cheaper, not better.

I'm not complaining, probably just stating the obvious. I think you're best building up your own network and using Upwork as a bonus until you break through.

Malcolm

nav_designer
Community Member

after boosting the personal features Everything changed.

For 5 months  I did not get a single job via proposal, I have been burned more than 700usd on connects 😞 

I used to get hired 4 to 5 times a month, 

only getting jobs from recurring clients 😞 

Hope is Dead now. 

nathaly_t
Community Member

Top Rated Plus freelancer here. I used to get 30 invitations to interview per month and 10 when my profile was not even available. Now, that I am interested in new short-term contracts, in less than one h, a post can have 20–50 proposals, and it is not rare to see +50. Then, when you check the status of the proposals you have sent, it turns out that 80% of the prospective clients have not even viewed your proposal. Why did I work hard for three years and become Top Rate Plus?

Upwork is becoming too greedy with its policies and no longer working to meet the objectives they supposedly have. They are turning their market into a complete mess, and I am certain to move my large contracts out of the platform and just leave it as a side option. Really sad.  

Hi Nathaly,

What used to be an optimal proposal six months ago is no longer one. Clients have leaned towards a very specific type of proposal. I don't boost any of my proposals and I still get an average of 80% of them read by the clients.

gavin_mc_cabe
Community Member

Same situation here. I've been top rated plus with 100% job success for a while now. All positive feedback. I worked hard to get to this point and thought there may be some benefits. But alas, I've been steadily applying to jobs for the past several months and only one turned into a brief hire. Over the past three weeks my proposals, which I have boosted, are not even getting viewed by clients. I understand that this is a competitive platform but tbh since the boosting system came in I've been getting consistently less replies to proposals. I've also tried searching for my profile on the platform and it doesn't show up among top rated plus freelancers. Head scratching. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths