🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Top Rated but not getting work
Page options
asad6410
Community Member

Top Rated but not getting work

Hello everyone,

I am a Top Rated graphic designer, completed 18 jobs all with outstanding reviews, I have wasted a lot of time sending proposals but not hired, I choose my career to be a freelancer, providing quality work still not getting work is a huge disappointment for me, uncertain, confused how to continue here on Upwork, I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

I have a good work history, updated profile still never got a single invitation so far.

Please help me to save my Career!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Asadullah M wrote:

Thank you very much Martina for responding.

I send 30-40 proposals each time to get a job, it is very difficult to write a proposal specifically for every job, what should I do to get regular work?

That's a horrendous return on investment. The vast majority of your contracts are very, very low value.

What is the point of spending $ 9 to 12 (30 to 40 proposals @ 2 connects) or more likely $ 18  to $ 24 (30 to 40 proposals @ an average of 4 connects) when many of the jobs you do win mean you're working at a net loss? 

As has been pointed out, your profile isn't bad as such, but it's weak and nothing stands out. Chances are, your proposals are equally uninspiring.

To improve your return on investment you need to polish your profile and your proposals, and then go after bigger contracts. If your hire rate is that low, you'll need to, or you'll be working just to buy connects. Spending $ 9 to $ 24 Dollars to win a $ 30 job (which leaves you $ 24 after fees) is insane. But spending $ 9 to $ 24 Dollars on winning a $ 300 contract makes much more sense.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Asadullah M wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am a Top Rated graphic designer, completed 18 jobs all with outstanding reviews, I have wasted a lot of time sending proposals but not hired, I choose my career to be a freelancer, providing quality work still not getting work is a huge disappointment for me, uncertain, confused how to continue here on Upwork, I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

I have a good work history, updated profile still never got a single invitation so far.

Please help me to save my Career!

Never count on invitations, just keep applying. There is a lot of competition in your field. 

I send 30-40 proposals each time to get a job, it is very difficult to write a proposal specifically for every job, what should I do to get regular work?

You're sending 30-40 proposals regularly to land a single job? Those aren't great results as you can see. There's a couple areas you can check for improvement:
1) Are you sending proposals to the right jobs for you? Send lots of proposals, but only to jobs you'd be perfect for. 
2) Are your proposals great? Do you talk about you or the client and the client's needs? Research great proposals in the Upwork resources and write a few different drafts. See what starts working. You can use successful formulas as long as they're personalized to the job and client.
3) Your profile needs tightening. Some spelling errors, some content that doesn't need to be there. Remove your availability for 50+ hours, it feels unprofessional.  
4) Your rate might be too low. It sounds counterintuitive, but raising your rate can lead to more offers. I'm not in your industry, but I think your rate might be too low to be taken seriously by a lot of clients, and too high for the clients looking for ridiculously low rates. But research other freelancers and your market to see if your rate really reflects your service and skills.

And good luck!

Thank you Sarah,

Yes, I never apply to jobs that I am not confident I can complete successfully. I know my proposals are not great but they are good to be considered. I have researched a lot on writing proposals and applied almost all tips and tricks but not getting work.

I will surely fallow your precious tips to improve my profile.
I am really very thankful to you Sarah!

petra_r
Community Member

Asadullah M wrote:

That's a horrendous return on investment. The vast majority of your contracts are very, very low value.

What is the point of spending $ 9 to 12 (30 to 40 proposals @ 2 connects) or more likely $ 18  to $ 24 (30 to 40 proposals @ an average of 4 connects) when many of the jobs you do win mean you're working at a net loss? 

As has been pointed out, your profile isn't bad as such, but it's weak and nothing stands out. Chances are, your proposals are equally uninspiring.

To improve your return on investment you need to polish your profile and your proposals, and then go after bigger contracts. If your hire rate is that low, you'll need to, or you'll be working just to buy connects. Spending $ 9 to $ 24 Dollars to win a $ 30 job (which leaves you $ 24 after fees) is insane. But spending $ 9 to $ 24 Dollars on winning a $ 300 contract makes much more sense.

asad6410
Community Member

Thank you, Petra,

Okay, I am researching to improve my profile and increase my rates.

Yes, I worked on very lower budget projects to show portfolio, I got those projects after several sleepless nights.

Thank you!!

fdynasty
Community Member

Can you provide feedback on my profile

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths