🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Top Rated freelancer punished by Upwork
Page options
franks_tim
Community Member

Top Rated freelancer punished by Upwork

Hi everyone, 

I worked on Upwork full-time from 2017 to the end of 2021, when I decided to raise my skills by enrolling in a 15-month Masters course. 

When I paused my work, I had the Top Rated badge and had earnt the platform a pretty penny. As there was no way to pause my account, I assumed my profile would speak for itself when I came back. That is not the case. 

I've returned to the platform and feel like I'm starting again. These new connect bids get unreasonable, with bids hitting 30 connects per job. My profile isn't getting responses nor views. Essentially, I'm unsure what to do. 

I thought Upwork would appreciate me taking time to get better qualified, but I feel like I've been punished for it. 

Any advice? 

15 REPLIES 15
m_terrazas
Community Member

Timothy F wrote:

Hi everyone, 

I worked on Upwork full-time from 2017 to the end of 2021, when I decided to raise my skills by enrolling in a 15-month Masters course. 

When I paused my work, I had the Top Rated badge and had earnt the platform a pretty penny. As there was no way to pause my account, I assumed my profile would speak for itself when I came back. That is not the case. 

I've returned to the platform and feel like I'm starting again. These new connect bids get unreasonable, with bids hitting 30 connects per job. My profile isn't getting responses nor views. Essentially, I'm unsure what to do. 

I thought Upwork would appreciate me taking time to get better qualified, but I feel like I've been punished for it. 

Any advice? 

Timothy F wrote:

Hi everyone, 

Any advice? 

Well, if you stop having activity (jobs) on Upwork, that's what happens.
There are jobs that will stop counting for the best grade and your JSS will drop. This is clear from Upwork. They will not keep your grade frozen.
The topic of the promoted proposals is a disaster, I agree with you.
But the jobs are still there, so you have no choice but to send proposals. It is your choice if you push them or not.
I personally don't do it, but there are people who do well doing it.

Thanks for the response, Maria. 

Yeah, I knew you couldn't freeze your profile and I'd lose the badge, I just didn't expect how hard it would be to get back into the game. 

And I'm glad it isn't just me who thinks it’s madness. With both the 7 connects per week to show you're available and the bids per job, it feels it favours people already working. 

Also just a bit miffed about how little loyalty the platform has to proven freelancers. We're at the mercy of their soulless algorithm 

You might want to ditch the "available" thing.

Have you found it's not worth it?

I don't know anyone who thinks it makes a difference. I don't do it because I don't sit and refresh the feed applying for jobs I'm not qualified to do. It's a lot like some other platforms that want freelancers to be on the platform constantly in case a client wanders by and demands something in 15 minutes.

tlsanders
Community Member

How do you feel Upwork "punished" you? By changing the bidding process for millions of freelancers? 

Or by applying JSS calculation exactly as they have for many years, and in a way that's always been clearly disclosed? 

Side note: Did you really expect a multi-national corporation to "appreciate" your personal choices about your career? 

I thought that Upwork would only benefit by having higher qualified freelancers using its platform. Better qualified freelancers draws better quality clients. 

Also, I didn't mean the new bidding process is a specific punishment. I meant it contributes to the overall feeling of having to start at the very bottom again. 

- side note: I'd expect a corporation that loves money to find a way to ensure people who make it money are able to come back and make it money without it feeling like a punishment

I think you underestimate how many excess freelancers there are here. A client who wants to hire is going to find someone to hire--unless they give up and go away because they're overwhelmed by getting 50+ proposals and most of them being garbage. 

There are lots of people who make money. Upwork is not going to help out someone because they made money in the past.

lysis10
Community Member

Upwork affects millions of freelancers currently living off the system. OP most affected.

This isn't Reddit. Be nice 

franks_tim
Community Member

So far 0% advice and 100% pass-agg 

What kind of "advice" could you possibly be looking for? Upwork isn't going to change it's system for you. You're going to have to send more proposals and maybe put more work into them for a while to pick up traction again (like most people do in most circumstances where they dip out for a year). That will suck for a while. Then, if you decide to stick it out, you'll likely get in your groove again.

4b3a8a74
Community Member

As a relatively new 'Upworker', I can't offer any advice, but I appreciate you sharing your experience, Timothy. I would have had no idea at all that if I walk away from Upwork for a while, my ratings will go back to square one. It's hard trying to get established at first and I am slowly building my profile. I would hate to have to start all over again, so thank you - I know now to remain as active as possible to protect my future status! 

the-right-writer
Community Member

Unfortunately, there is no way to get your old status back, but you are still top-rated and 90 JSS is good. Upwork wants freelancers on the platform all the time.  Good for you for increasing your knowledge, it will benefit you, even though it feels like Upwork punished you.

Upwork has changed. They decided to eliminate any bar, no matter how low, to new freelancers. Anything that can use a few keys on a keyboard is now a freelancer! This has resulted in clients receiving 50+ garbage proposals and causes client fatigue. Then there are the scammers who look for new, inexperienced, or greedy people who will violate the rules and then get scammed.

I have no doubt you will be able to recover a higher JSS in a short amount of time. It may take more than a few proposals, and yes, connects are here to stay. Use them or not to boost, it is up to you. I am still waiting for empirical data showing it helps or does not in getting hired.

Despite the flood, the scammers, and the other issues, many people still make excellent money on the platform. You have skills and a proven track record, so you are in a much different position than someone literally starting out. I doubt anyone looking for your skills is going to actually care much about the JSS. You're still top-rated, and can apply for those jobs looking for 90% and above. It may take a little time, but you will get back to your previous status.

You should change your photo. It's too dark and needs to be professional.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members