Did you mean: 

Top Rated removed with good feedback and ongoing contracts

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
11 of 25

Erin, Valeria K is a terrific moderator, to name one:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/8663

You *could* try sending her a PM, but it's Sunday, so may as well first wait til Monday and see if a moderator comments tomorrow before messaging them a link to this topic. Good luck. And as Jennifer observed, your oldest in progress job started this March, so that could hardly lower your JS despite what the CS rep claimed.

Erin B Member Since: Jul 9, 2017
12 of 25

Thanks for all of the support and advice. I should have come here to begin with. Smiley Happy

I'll do what CS said as far as severing my ongoing contracts that are "dormant", though honestly it seems a bit unprofessional. Particularly since I know exactly what's happening with a majority of them and some of it is quite personal, it feels like I'm interrupting their difficult time to ask a favor.

Once I've done that I'll have a better understanding about whether or not they're being straight with me. I had a high opinion of UpWork until this morning, I've helped friends build accounts and have thought about hosting some events.

I have to say the phone help I've gotten in the last month or so is a drastic improvement over what I was getting in January...I'd still like to think that they have a method that works and that somehow my being new combined with a few clients that are a bit slow with contracts has red flagged something...we'll see...

Maybe those of us that have had similar experiences can petition for a "check-in" policy on UpWork's part. Since they have client info perhaps they can instill a general query procedure for slow or dormant accounts. It could be a win-win for us too: "Are you generally satisfied with your freelancer?", or something similar so we could avoid having to seem rude or desperate to our clients. It may even give the slow one's a nudge!

I've had clients that have had terrible experiences with freelancers flaking on them and freelance buddies that have been flaked on, it's probably tough to play both sides. Clients also pay a fee when they find freelancers through UpWork, so really it's a system that needs constant tweaking...

What do you guys think, would UpWork following up on dormant or slow contracts for us be a help or a hindrance?

My God, this is a long post!! Thanks for letting me vent. You guys all rock!! Smiley Very Happy

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
13 of 25

If one were to speculate that dormant contracts become problematic after 90 days, then March and some of April open gigs could be an issue. Also, it is more likely to affect someone with few jobs total. Each plus or minus carries more weight when there are few of each. 

bradley-erin
14 of 25

Can anyone advise?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
15 of 25

Any jobs that ended before they got going, (with no money paid?)

susanned
Community Leader
Susanne D Member Since: Mar 15, 2015
16 of 25

Actually I have given up on understanding anything about this JSS - yesteday mine dropped another percent without ANY reason I could imagine. Sometimes I wonder if it really works or this algorithm does not have a sinister bug ...

sarabartolini
Milica M Member Since: Jul 10, 2017
17 of 25

The same story and the same no understanding. Smiley Sad

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
18 of 25

Hi Erin,

I checked and can confirm the information our agent's shared with you. To clarify one point from your conversation with our Support agents, I see you referred to the jobs in progress detail John mentioned in his reply in the Community. Please note that there's a difference between jobs in progress which are active and on which payments are being processed and those that haven't had any activity for a prolonged period of time, or which haven't had any activity since the start and are not displayed on a freelancer's profile. The latter ones will start to affect the Job Success Score negatively after a certain time frame and their effect is going to be greater if a number of contracts pass this time frame between two Job Success Score updates. Also, the effect dormant contracts have also depend on the activity on your ongoing and completed contracts.

Please let us know if you have any questions and I'd like to ask you to upload a photo which clearly shows your face, without the sunglasses or malamutes.

Untitled
bradley-erin
19 of 25

Hi Vladimir, thanks for getting back to me. Is my score being impacted because of my picture? it's what I use on all my social media and kind of a trademark of sorts, so I'd like to keep it up if possible. Dogs are one of my main subjects.

Also I appreciate you laying things out clearly the way that you have, so far I have heard from several people that are feeling the same frustrations that I expressed. So it's a relief to hear from an UpWork employee that understands what I'm asking. Can you tell me specifically what contracts are a problem so I can possibly avoid upsetting the others.

Also, is it possible to solicit UpWork to contact these clients on our behalf? Many of the freelancers feel that interrupting our clients for feedback could be off-putting and come across as rude. As I mentioned one of the contracts in question is dealing with a loss in his family, another is having budget issues. I have already contacted a few of the others so that should help in the short term, but I would love to see a solution that keeps the client relationship a bit more amicable.

What do you think?

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
20 of 25

Erin, there's no reason to ask the clients for feedback. Simply reach out and ask that when they have a moment, they close the contract. If they close the contract, they'll be prompted (forced, actually) to leave feedback.

If you know someone is dealing with a loss in the family, I'd just wait a couple of weeks--the long-term impact isn't significant enough to interrupt someone in that situation. But, with the client with budgetary issues (or others who for whatever reason wander off for a bit in the future), I would just send a note that said something like, "When you have a moment, would you mind closing our contract and opening a new contract when you're ready to move forward? I definitely want to work with you on the next phase of this project, but open, inactive contracts are bad for a freelancer's profile. When you're ready to get started again, you can easily start a new contract by either clicking the "rehire" button next to our contract in your account or visiting my profile at (link) and clicking "Hire Now"

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS