🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Top rated system ..
Page options
muhmasood

Top rated system ..

Screenshot_2015-07-03-12-23-33.pngDo you think that this is right if a person have only 1 job and the job is in progress and the person is having a Top rated badge and a 100 % JS rate  and for those who are working from  years on odesk / upwork  have  60 to 80 % js  and most of them  are suspended . 

"One thing I know, that I know nothing. This is the source of my wisdom"
31 REPLIES 31

Why not? almost 2k hours and only 1 contract? Thats amazing!

rahatur

That is really a great achievement but nothing like a "Top rated".

Well, presumably the converse is also true, if it all goes wrong they'll end up with 0%!

This person should definitely qualify for Top Rated.

They have logged over 1800 hours with a single, satisfied client.

They have consistently made money for Upwork.

They have earned enough money during the past year to qualify for Top Rated status.

No complaints or disputes.

And they have cost Upwork VERY little money because they have not needed Customer Support for myriad different problems with different clients.

How can you claim the client is satisfied when there is no feedback? Sure, we can assume the client is satisfied as they have continued to contract with the freelancer, but this isn't always the case. Many times a client doesn't realize how poorly the freelancer is performing until after the project is complete.

Furthermore, if Upwork's profit is the motivating factor here... well, that is very disconcerting.

@Tim H wrote:

Furthermore, if Upwork's profit is the motivating factor here... well, that is very disconcerting.

Tim,

It should hardly be surprising. At the moment it's not a profitable enterprise, and will never be a charitable one. There's also the matter of that $74,000,000 (and counting) that Upwork's venture capital investors expect to recoup (and then some).

Best,

Michael

Look at it from our perspective, rather than the Venture Capitalists. None of us asked for Elance to merge with oDesk into Upwork.

I would much rather Elance spent a fraction of that 74M on the existing platform and improved it.

Tim,

Alas, I can only fantasize being able to see from the perspective of a venture capitalist.

My perspective is the same as yours: a cog in the machine:

modern-times-sit.jpg

From Upwork's point of view, they are spending a great deal of that $74 million on improving the platform they deemed best suited for improvement. Of course we can't know how much, and our perspective on improvement often seems to differ from theirs.

Best,

Michael

kugrin

@Mr M wrote:

...and for those who are working from  years on odesk / upwork  have  60 to 80 % js  and most of them  are suspended . 

That's actually not true. I have been here since 2009 and have a 100% JS. I never had a policy violation (knocking on wood knowing how easy it is to upset someone, somewhere at Upwork for no reason these days).

I understand that there are two business models/groups of people on Upwork - those that prefer short term fixed price contracts, and those like me who only work on long-term engagements. It's unfortunate that Upwork decided to measure us all the same way, when working with 20 different people on one-time projects is not the same as working with someone over several years. Both models require different skills. Believe me, pleasing and managing someone over several years and keeping the relationship successful after 1000s of hours is not exactly a walk in the park either, but neither is dealing with client after client after client. I do agree that nobody should get a 100% JS after having done only 1 job, but it proves that this whole supposed focus on quality is just a farce. Despite having a 6 year track record of doing stellar work and constantly growing my contracts and sometimes even the contracts of my team mates, and a 100% JS, I am not top rated, because I refuse to let Upwork force me to put back my picture. While others, with a 50th of my experience and trackrecord, get promoted to Categories by Upwork staff. Blah.

**edited for Community Guidelines**

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mr,

If you don't mind sending me a link to this profile in a private message, I could check if everything is correct with the way contracts and Job Success score are displayed on the profile. Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork

What I don't understand: the JS score is first and foremost calculated on the basis of completed contracts and actual feedback. If a person doesn't have either - how come they have a JS score at all?

Or is this someone who migrated from Elance and half of his/her history is still missing?

anima9

I also saw a Top Rated member with a rating of 3.75.

UpWhat.jpg

ago_g

@ Mr M

"Right" or "fair" had nothing to do with it. Everyone starts out with 100% and manages to drop, somehow, from there. It can only drop from that point as Ramon pointed out. Now would be a good time for that particular freelancer to hope nothing goes wrong!! Option 2 = destroyed profile in a heartbeat for that freelancer!!

It's just if you're only working on one project with nearly 2,000 hours in total, I'd agree with Preston in saying that particular freelancer earned his badge just the same. That's no easy stunt by any means.

@ Ela

That freelancer does have the requirements. JS is one of the requirements but it was already there (100%) since that freelancer started.

I do recall the topic(s) you posted. The concerns about your JS dropping 11% or 12% from only one job that went haywire and it wasn't your fault. Correct me if I'm wrong (my memory isn't all powerful hahahaha) but didn't that drop cost you a Top Rated status or just end up costing you in general? What JS % did you start with? I didn't re-read your posts from that time so I have to ask.

@ Robert

Nice catch. That one is quite the question, isn't it!!

Star rating is not one of the requirements to get Top Rated but how does a freelancer keep 100% JS with such a low star rating? That's definately two different stories from the same profile. Clearly that's no starter profile with 23 jobs and over 3,000 hours worked. 

Was that one also "featured" in the Job Success Bloopers topic?

@Santiago G wrote:

"Right" or "fair" had nothing to do with it. Everyone starts out with 100% and manages to drop, somehow, from there. 

That's not true, Santiago and also doesn't make any sense. How could new users without a single job get a 100% JS by default? 

I once thought the star ratings counted in being Top Rated. Did I imagine things? I thought before the minimu star rating is 4.95 or something.

Anyway, since the stars don't count, it's possible he got bad feedback before but most of his current clients are long term.

P.S. I have on client who paused our contract and has been inactive for more than a month. Would it be better if I just cut him off or just let him stay there?

ago_g

@ Krisztina

More than likely, you're right about that. It was just what all I could think of it based on that first screen shot. So my guess might not have been entirely accurate at the time!! Smiley LOL

So by the looks of it, that freelancer has a 100% JS from his/her one and only long term client.

@Santiago

Yes, it was one negative private feedback from an unpleasant client regarding a contract where no work was performed. I was still clueless in those (pre-forum) days and closed the contract myself after the client stopped communicating. My JS score dropped form 100% to 89%.

But I had successfully completed about 12 jobs at the time that happened.

It was contract #13 that put me back with the common people for a while, until I became a chosen one again some weeks later 😉

ago_g

@ Robert

I never did see the star ratings as a requirement. There's a possibility you could have spotted it before and it was changed. Speculation of course but things managed to change and then we find it previously. How many of us never knew the profile discovery was there before someone pointed it out?!! I sure didn't!!

But that one you posted is just plain weird. 100% JS and such a low star rating? I'm not even sure how's that's possible considering any bad feedback, as Ela reminded us here (thanks Ela), can show show up in the JS.

I don't know if anything good or bad would come from a job being paused. I'd leave it there just in case. But do check (or try to anyway) to see if that specific client has been either suspended or had their account closed.

A client I was working for had his account suspended. No reason was given that the client could figure out. At least I caught some luck and he was able to close the job so that wouldn't cause any further problems for me. But it still caused the problem of "bye bye job". The pay was there, the work was being stacked up (due to my speed) and poof..... gone in an instant.

For the profile in question there could be so many possibilities. Also remember that the jobs total shown these days is no longer the "true" total as before. Remember there was a change to only reflect the jobs that were included in the public job history. Therefore the profile in question could actually have had 5 or 10 dud jobs, but long ago, which no longer affect the JS score.

I have seen many profiles with very long contracts and they tend to always be 100%. If you only have one full time contract each year, then all your available lines (calculations) could only be made up of 2 jobs at the most. That is a sure 100% assuming that the contract was going well.

Nevertheless remember there is a +1 or +(x) for long term contract, so there is still a cushion even if the contract didn't go that well. Therefore having only a few long term contracts over years is the best scenario for a JS score calculation.

Also there are possibilities where one contract had price increases, which would essentially many jobs grouped as one. Plus Multiple jobs with the same title (repeat jobs) which count as one etc etc. There are many possibilities to consider.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----

@Setu M wrote:

...having only a few long term contracts over years is the best scenario for a JS score calculation.

Setu,

That insight may go some way toward explaining not only a provider strategy but the criteria Upwork uses to calculate the JS score.

From UpWork's point of view, steady, predictable, active long-term contracts are also best for its cash flow and revenue projections, both factors I am sure they would like to have under control as they work toward profitability.

Best,

Michael

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

From UpWork's point of view, steady, predictable, active long-term contracts are also best for its cash flow and revenue projections, both factors I am sure they would like to have under control as they work toward profitability.

Best,

Michael

On point Michael. Does that mean they intend to get rid of 90% of the clients - the short term ones? I doubt it.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----

@Setu M wrote:

Does that mean they intend to get rid of 90% of the clients - the short term ones? I doubt it.

Thanks, Setu. Well, there are certain advantages to having a virtual monopoly. And the "loss leader" is a time-honored marketing strategy.

@Setu M wrote:

Does that mean they intend to get rid of 90% of the clients - the short term ones? I doubt it.

Hi Setu - the 90% of the clients you reference probably don't even make up for 10% of total revenue. There's a whole world, one that actually brings in most of the revenue, behind the curtains, safely tucked away in the PTC. Upwork should focus more on growing small clients, they're completely hindering me and I spend a 10th of what I'd spend if things weren't made so impossible, but what you see in the job feed is not all of Upwork. I'd be surprised and shocked, if it was more than 10%.

re: "Well, there are certain advantages to having a virtual monopoly."

I have a hard time accepting the characterization of Upwork as having a "virtual monopoly" on the freelance job market. There are many other places where contractors and clients can connect with each other online, some which are broader in scope, some which are very narrow niche providers, and some which server a market segment essentially identical to Upwork's.

How come I am not a top rated freelancers. I met the requirements. 😞

Hi Felix and Shahriar,

I checked and both your profiles updated and now display the Top Rated badges. Thank you for your patience. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
smshahriar

I was Top Rated. Then one day my job success score went down and I lost it. But today again I was able to increase my job success score to 93% and I believe I meet all the criteria of this link https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068468-Become-Top-Rated to achieve the Top Rated badge like never account holds, 12 months earning $1000+ etc

But the badge is not showing on my profile! I'm little bit frustrated about this since I knew this week my job success score should cross 90% and it does. So could someone tell me why it happened to me? Thanks.

The badge takes longer to change than the score.  I still have a Top Rated badge even though I lost it technically.  Just wait a couple of days.  Smiley Very Happy

Yes you need to wait - eventually the switch gets flipped and everything gets to be the way it was meant to be.

The dwarfs that carry data around are probably very tired. Imagine the amount of data these little dwarfs need to pass around. You'd think it's just a simple IF statement that will check if the job success score is or isn't over 90%, but you'd be wrong.. Upwork uses magic... That's why they are so "great"

RE:

------------------

The dwarfs that carry data around are probably very tired.

------------------

@Alex , I am not speaking for UW but I think saying :

'You'd think it's just a simple IF statement '   implies a lot.

If programming was that simple we would all be Overlords of an Utopian Universe where nobody needs to work or even say anything. to anyone.