Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top rated system ..

muhmasood
Community Guru
Mr M Member Since: Apr 27, 2013
1 of 32

Screenshot_2015-07-03-12-23-33.pngDo you think that this is right if a person have only 1 job and the job is in progress and the person is having a Top rated badge and a 100 % JS rate  and for those who are working from  years on odesk / upwork  have  60 to 80 % js  and most of them  are suspended . 

"One thing I know, that I know nothing. This is the source of my wisdom"
tedjoshuaangelo
Community Leader
Ted Joshua Angelo G Member Since: Nov 8, 2014
2 of 32

Why not? almost 2k hours and only 1 contract? Thats amazing!

rahatur
Community Guru
Md Rahatur R Member Since: Apr 17, 2013
3 of 32

That is really a great achievement but nothing like a "Top rated".

battershall-ramo
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
4 of 32

Well, presumably the converse is also true, if it all goes wrong they'll end up with 0%!

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 32

This person should definitely qualify for Top Rated.

They have logged over 1800 hours with a single, satisfied client.

They have consistently made money for Upwork.

They have earned enough money during the past year to qualify for Top Rated status.

No complaints or disputes.

And they have cost Upwork VERY little money because they have not needed Customer Support for myriad different problems with different clients.

spiderwisp
Ace Contributor
Tim H Member Since: Jul 7, 2015
6 of 32

How can you claim the client is satisfied when there is no feedback? Sure, we can assume the client is satisfied as they have continued to contract with the freelancer, but this isn't always the case. Many times a client doesn't realize how poorly the freelancer is performing until after the project is complete.

Furthermore, if Upwork's profit is the motivating factor here... well, that is very disconcerting.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
7 of 32

@Tim H wrote:

Furthermore, if Upwork's profit is the motivating factor here... well, that is very disconcerting.

Tim,

It should hardly be surprising. At the moment it's not a profitable enterprise, and will never be a charitable one. There's also the matter of that $74,000,000 (and counting) that Upwork's venture capital investors expect to recoup (and then some).

Best,

Michael

spiderwisp
Ace Contributor
Tim H Member Since: Jul 7, 2015
8 of 32

Look at it from our perspective, rather than the Venture Capitalists. None of us asked for Elance to merge with oDesk into Upwork.

I would much rather Elance spent a fraction of that 74M on the existing platform and improved it.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
9 of 32

Tim,

Alas, I can only fantasize being able to see from the perspective of a venture capitalist.

My perspective is the same as yours: a cog in the machine:

modern-times-sit.jpg

From Upwork's point of view, they are spending a great deal of that $74 million on improving the platform they deemed best suited for improvement. Of course we can't know how much, and our perspective on improvement often seems to differ from theirs.

Best,

Michael

kugrin
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
10 of 32

@Mr M wrote:

...and for those who are working from  years on odesk / upwork  have  60 to 80 % js  and most of them  are suspended . 

That's actually not true. I have been here since 2009 and have a 100% JS. I never had a policy violation (knocking on wood knowing how easy it is to upset someone, somewhere at Upwork for no reason these days).

I understand that there are two business models/groups of people on Upwork - those that prefer short term fixed price contracts, and those like me who only work on long-term engagements. It's unfortunate that Upwork decided to measure us all the same way, when working with 20 different people on one-time projects is not the same as working with someone over several years. Both models require different skills. Believe me, pleasing and managing someone over several years and keeping the relationship successful after 1000s of hours is not exactly a walk in the park either, but neither is dealing with client after client after client. I do agree that nobody should get a 100% JS after having done only 1 job, but it proves that this whole supposed focus on quality is just a farce. Despite having a 6 year track record of doing stellar work and constantly growing my contracts and sometimes even the contracts of my team mates, and a 100% JS, I am not top rated, because I refuse to let Upwork force me to put back my picture. While others, with a 50th of my experience and trackrecord, get promoted to Categories by Upwork staff. Blah.

**edited for Community Guidelines**

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS