cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top six Tips to bid on UpWork

Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
21 of 39

I do get tired of these gendered pronouns. Not everyone in the world is a man Cat MadWoman FrustratedCat MadWoman FrustratedCat Mad

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
22 of 39

@Zubair A wrote:

These are some important points while bidding:
– Your proposal must contains this line: “Your Invitation over a private chat would be highly appreciated.”
– Your bid amount should neither be higher nor be lower; make it moderate an average sized bid.
– Try be first while bidding on the projects because it give an impressive feel to the employers.

Zubair,

I'm happy these practices work for your business. None of them apply to mine. My own corresponding practices are:

• No form of communication is more efficient than writing.
  • I bid market rates—what the job is worth in the real world, to the buyer and to me. What others bid on online platforms is not my concern.
  • Buyers (not "employers") are impressed by proposals thoughtful enough to meet their needs. This can take a little time, and is often well worth whatever time it takes.

Best,

Michael

Community Guru
John B Member Since: Feb 20, 2009
23 of 39

Top six Tips to bid on UpWork...

6?!! - I will give you a 4 tips...

First and foremost -> If you say you are an EXPERT, better back that up with some CHOPS.  

So many freelancers say on Upwork they are an expert writer, or expert web developer etc, list all there skills in there title...aka PHP, CakePHP, HTML, CSS, MySQL, Zend. jQuery Expert.  Right you've seen that? Come now my children, THE EXPERT people were / are the original real freelancers, that worked at brick and mortar jobs and learned enough from those real job experiences to build a far superior freelancing careers with further creativity and ingenuity, that business acumen, or entrepreneurial spirit..aka people that have unique profiles on upwork...aka Rasmus Lerdorf does not list PHP Expert on his twitter profile blurb...the list goes on I tell you.. Smiley Happy 

Second ->  Do this step first for a while before above.

Build a reputation on many websites, social networks, freelance job sites, youtube even, github, or whatever your flavour is etc...build a big enough reputation on enough websites and suddenly you become the most prolific 'John Bampton' or in your case "Mary Jane" on all the search engines just by starting to type in your name in the search box.  Bingo we've now made progress, we - 'Mary Jane' have now got a global digital footprint, where people, businesses, companies etc can find you in an instant google search.

Third -> A little story about life in general...

Going from a normal real job to freelancing and the outcomes from that...

The mentality could be commonly known as 'sink or swim', hell no it's 'sink, swim or thrive!'

I never ever play computer games any more, the only games I play further my education, sometimes when I watch a moive and its not that great I think that is 2 hours of my life I'm not getting back.. Smiley Happy  So now never go to the actual cinema, as I have to be multitasking while watching the moive as time is of essence now that I'm in my...thirties....there is virtually hardly any freelancers from Australia that make real money on these websites.  The cost of living here is sky high as well...so remember time is of essence!

Fourth as always ->

a few light stretches each day...aka... http://www.codewars.com/

Community Guru
Cristian-Adrian F Member Since: May 6, 2015
24 of 39

Good point, John, about Rasmus Lerdorf. Well, he stated that he doesn't even know how to "create" a programming language... It's like what you've said, you can achieve the expertise after you digged all your way down.

Spoiler

I never ever play computer games any more, the only games I play further my education, sometimes when I watch a moive and its not that great I think that is 2 hours of my life I'm not getting back.. Smiley Happy So now never go to the actual cinema, as I have to be multitasking while watching the moive as time is of essence now that I'm in my...thirties....there is virtually hardly any freelancers from Australia that make real money on these websites.  The cost of living here is sky high as well...so remember time is of essence! 

Sorry, John, here I have to disagree with you. There should be a separation to avoid getting "burnt-out" with your work. You can state that all you are doing is coding all day, all night long. I mean, it might sound attractive to have more money to keep up with the country's standards, but still... you should have yourself as a priority, not the shell prompt.

Thanks for the last tip, I should really try out some competitive stuff, instead of thick programming books! But I still believe... if you are a coder, and you are coding all day, you should do this training stuff in days when you don't code so much, just to keep the balance.

Umer F Member Since: Aug 31, 2015
25 of 39

Hi Zubair,

These Six Steps are Pretty much Good effort to Climb Up Over Propsal Tree, The Cleints intrest and their needs matter also, you can see the proposals after 2 days time period got the lead.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
26 of 39

@Umer F wrote:

Hi Zubair,

These Six Steps are Pretty much Good effort to Climb Up Over Propsal Tree, The Cleints intrest and their needs matter also, you can see the proposals after 2 days time period got the lead.

I have no idea what you are saying but Zubair's 6 tips are essentially garbage which was posted here to lead people to a website with test cheats.

Furthermore his overview is stolen from other freelancers, which is quite funny when it contains "create something that is 100% custom made "

Shame he could not "custom make" his own profile...

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
27 of 39

I have no idea what he means either, but the OP is some of the worst advice I've ever seen.

Every time some chump tries to throw me that lame "early bird gets the worm" line, I remind them that the second mouse gets the cheese.

I hate that stupid line. Some people aren't morning people and that's OK. jeeez

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
28 of 39

To say nothing of world time differences.

Community Guru
Cathleen C Member Since: Aug 17, 2015
29 of 39

I have gotten good jobs from good clients (on Elance) doing it both ways (submitting first, or submitting after a few bids are already in). I think if a freelancer builds a strong portfolio and writes a good proposal that is customized for each client, well, the rest is kind of the luck of the draw. But the more jobs you win, the better the reputation, and the more jobs you will get.

Also, I have certain things that I DO repeat in each proposal, for instance the time zone I am in, a link to my profile, etc. Those are copy and paste, but the rest of proposal is tailored for each individual client. I don't seem to have run into any problems with that (on Elance). Not sure if Upworks algorithm is going to give me the boot or not.

As far as that timing thing goes, I will see a job posting, go write the proposal, which takes a few minutes, and by the time I submit and look at the posting again, there are 10 bids there already. About the only time I could get my bid to be the first submitted was on a weekend. (In the US, bidding on US jobs)

Josh Edward Batall J Member Since: Dec 9, 2015
30 of 39

How much should I bid to the total amount of the clients' budget? What is the best bid for me to be hired,

Should I bid 100% or 50% or 70%, 80% or 90%? This is for fixed Price.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS