cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top six Tips to bid on UpWork

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
31 of 39

Josh, a client is not going to hire you based on how much you bid, unless they are a lowball client, and you should avoid those.

A client will pick you if they think you are the best value. Sometimes the best value is the highest bid.

The types of jobs I bid on are complex, so what I do might not apply to everyone. But what I do on fixed-price jobs is this: I bid at 100% of the client's proposed budget. And I explain exactly what I will do for that amount, customizing the level of work I do to the budget, while making it clear that there may be additional functionality that can be implemented for additional cost.

Josh Edward Batall J Member Since: Dec 9, 2015
32 of 39

Will the clients see that I changed my bid several times?

Community Guru
Abdul R Member Since: Dec 4, 2014
33 of 39

Hi Josh, 

Yeah, Each time you change your bid client gets notification whether you increase rate or descrease rate. 

Hiren K Member Since: Mar 8, 2016
34 of 39

thanks for your sugegstions, its help me lot

Ahmed S Member Since: Dec 21, 2016
35 of 39

during making a bid , the "estimated duration" located above the cover letter ,what does the cell "estimated duration" refers to?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
36 of 39

Hi Ahmed,

You can use that field to explain how long it may take you to complete the project.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
37 of 39

@Ahmed S wrote:

during making a bid , the "estimated duration" located above the cover letter ,what does the cell "estimated duration" refers to?

They want you to guess how long the project is going to take. It's a real problem, since often jobs are ongoing based on client needs you can't know about, and often there isn't enough information to determine how long a fixed project will take, and often it isn't clear whether the client is looking for a finite project or continuing work, yet your guess as to how long the work might take if you've guessed correctly about all of those issues and more is part of the information the client receives and uses to evaluate your bid.

Ravi B Member Since: Jun 4, 2018
38 of 39

You said "follow up" -  but how can I follow up if the client hasn't replied once?

Sucharita S Member Since: Mar 16, 2019
39 of 39

Very informative tips great job

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS