🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Total bid amount doesn't match total for indi...
Page options
nolan_bulger
Community Member

Total bid amount doesn't match total for individual milestones

I'm getting ready to accept a new offer but I'm confused about the way the numbers are presented.

The total bid for the project is $3,000 and there are six milestones. However, each individual milestone is set to $250, which only adds up to $1,500 - half the amount of the total bid.

Why the discrepancy?

upwork milestones.PNG

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Nolan. I'm not an expert, so take this with a pinch of salt.

As I understand it, the only thing a client is committed to are funded milestones, which means the first milestone in this case. The client is free to pull the plug after that, or change the details of subsequent milestones. Similarly, you are free to walk away after the first milestone (though that might get you a bad review), so you are not forced to accept any changes the client makes.

In other words, unfunded milestones and the total bid are just non-binding intentions as far as Upwork's mechanisms are concerned. (I won't comment on their legal status.)

Since more milestones can be added later, the total amount for the declared milestones needn't be the total for the job. it's possible that the client intends the first 6 milestones to be only half the job. More likely they've just made a mistake. In any case, you should definitely clarify the client's and your own intentions and expectations before accepting the job offer. Make sure you're both on the same page.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nolan, 

The amount on a milestone amount is set by the client. I would recommend that you clarify this with your client so that you and your the client can decide on how much each milestone should be set. During the course of the contract, the client will have the option to release more (or less) than the amount noted on each milestone. This could have been set by the client as a place holder, as I see that the client has noted an amount of $500 on the details of some of milestones. 

Nolan, seeing as you are new here, I would recommend that you read up on the freelancer resources we have compiled here for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on the platform. For more information about working safely through Upwork, please read these tips for avoiding questionable jobs.

~ Avery
Upwork

Thanks for the quick reply, Avery.

I understand the amount on the milestones is set by the client, but where does the total bid number come from? I didn't enter that number anywhere, so it must've been the client.

In theory, if you add up the individual milestones they should equal the amount of the total bid, right?

Is it possible that the client entered the total bid amount correctly but got his math wrong on each milestone amount?

Hi Nolan, 

I'm sorry I just edited my reply to your post, as I pressed "Submit" too soon. Hope that helps! 

~ Avery
Upwork

Thanks, Avery. 

I will clarify everything with the client, and I appreciate your prompt responses.

Now that I understand the client can release more or less of the total milestone amount, am I correct in understanding the total bid amount has both been entered by the client and is basically irrelevant?

If a client can change milestone amounts at will, what is the purpose of the total bid amount?

Thanks again,

Nolan

Hi Nolan. I'm not an expert, so take this with a pinch of salt.

As I understand it, the only thing a client is committed to are funded milestones, which means the first milestone in this case. The client is free to pull the plug after that, or change the details of subsequent milestones. Similarly, you are free to walk away after the first milestone (though that might get you a bad review), so you are not forced to accept any changes the client makes.

In other words, unfunded milestones and the total bid are just non-binding intentions as far as Upwork's mechanisms are concerned. (I won't comment on their legal status.)

Since more milestones can be added later, the total amount for the declared milestones needn't be the total for the job. it's possible that the client intends the first 6 milestones to be only half the job. More likely they've just made a mistake. In any case, you should definitely clarify the client's and your own intentions and expectations before accepting the job offer. Make sure you're both on the same page.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your input.

I was having trouble wrapping my mind around this until now. Your answer makes perfect sense.

I'll follow up with the client and sort it out from there.

Appreciate the help!

Reading the resources Avery referred you to should enhance your understanding. But the bottom line is, if funds aren't placed in escrow, then there's no assurance that they ever will be. Some clients fund only the first milestone and then place new funds in escrow as each milestone is completed. If you are unwilling to work milestone by milestone using this method, you can request that the full amount is funded at the outset. However, you should be aware that the client can cancel the contract at any time and ask that these funds be returned to them (which Upwork confusingly calls a refund). So, no matter how you proceed on a fixed price contract, your recourse is limited if the client doesn't want to pay. 

It remains very important, however, that you and the client are fully in agreement as to the total fee for the entire project. So if you are expecting $3000 and they have only funded $1500--you need to get that worked out before you accept the contract and begin submitting work.  

Thanks for your insight, Tonya.

Being new to Upwork, this was a little confusing for me. Everything makes sense now.

The client and I have worked everything out!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths