cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tragedy of a client instead 700$ they paid 50$ and now are asking for the 60$ in escrow !!!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 60

Stop flapping.

Take a nice, long, deep breath.

Did you use what you call your "joker" (you mean your top rated perk and I am pretty certain I have explained that to you before at some point) more than 3 months and 10 contracts ago?

Highlighted
Community Leader
Dusko A Member Since: May 12, 2017
12 of 60

I got email where it is asked for begin of mediation to provide more details etc and if that doesnt enable UpWork to reach decision that it might be moved to third party arbitration which costs  875$

What should I do?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
13 of 60

Dusko A wrote:

I got email where it is asked for begin of mediation to provide more details etc and if that doesnt enable UpWork to reach decision that it might be moved to third party arbitration which costs  875$

What should I do?

Whenever Upwork asks you for information, you should provide exactly the information asked for, and no more. Do not worry about Upwork's "reach[ing a] decision." (That's not exactly what they do.) But it doesn't matter: just answer their questions, honestly and simply, and not going beyond their scope. Do not make an argument, or state your case. Just provide the requested details.

Don't worry about arbitration unless and until you are:

• dissatisfied with the final outcome of mediation
  • are told by Upwork that arbitration is your only recourse.

At that point, if you decide to go ahead with arbitration, you, Upwork, and the client will each put up a third of the cost. Others more informed will be along shortly to tell you what to expect after that, including if the client fails to pony up, which I believe in poker terms is the equivalent of folding.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
14 of 60

Dusko A wrote:

I made allowance for them to change the rating. And asked them to. Because I dont deserve that 3.85. I deserve 5.0 because I did all that was asked and withing the deadlines for which they put actualy 2.0. Hilarious.

Can they make changes or I have to submit feedback so they can reaply it again? My question is to be clearer, can they change their feedback without me giving any feedback to them? Because I have every intention of giving them what they deserve, 1.0 and nice comment for future freelancers to be sure to avoid them.

I please for advice, hint and help. I cannot allow such people to put me down.

That was probably a big mistake. They can still rate you worse than they did originally. Especially if they see here that you are planning to rate them 1s.

Highlighted
Community Leader
15 of 60

Since they asked me if there is any update, several times, if I several times told them I was either on work or sleeping and I wont be abl to work in the next 7-8  hours, they are neither that inteligent to come here and find this

Highlighted
Community Leader
16 of 60

And what is more UpWork has to have an algorithm where it will detect issues like these and wouldnt rate their rating at all. I worked my a... off for this and this happens? No no wont allow it may this earth go upside down

Highlighted
Patricia C Member Since: Jan 6, 2019
17 of 60

I understand your frustration but Upwork has a lot of tutorials on how to avoid trash clients like these. You are top rated so you probably read them before but forgot a few things. I recommend to re-read the freelancer tutorials and webinars in order to avoid a similar situation in the future.

1. NEVER accept a contract that isn't fully funded, that was your first mistake. Take your time to revise the contract terms and check if all milestones are funded. 

2. If possible, try to keep communication with the client via Upwork messages instead of skype. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
18 of 60

How to protect myself against these clients who obviously hurt my rating because of no fault of my own? UpWork has to do something with these ratings and these clients.

No, Upwork doesn't have to do something with these clients YOU do. The way you protect yourself is to Not start working until escrow is FULLY funded either for the entire job or for each milestone as they come up.  You set up milestones and fund them in relationship to the amount of work that need to be done (as a fraction of the entire job) and you don't start work until that full amount is funded or, you just do work that is equal to the amount that's funded. And not only do you not start working on that 1st milestone if it's not fully funded you certainly do not start work on the 2nd (or any other milestones) and send them the work for that 2nd milestone. 

Since you're top rated and have used that top rated perk you can use it to delete the feedback from your profile as long as 10 jobs or 3 months have passed since you last used it. 

You can file a dispute, and take it all the way up to arbitration for the amount of money still in escrow. But all you'll get if it's determined that the escrow funds should be returned to you, is what ever is in escrow. It costs $291 to go into arbitration for both the client and freelancer (you) If the client doesn't pay the fee, you get the $291 back plus what's in escrow. Only you can decide what's best at this point. 

Highlighted
Community Leader
19 of 60

That is all okay and I will know better for the future.

So If I understood correctly, it will cost me 291$ to have UpWork to decide if I win those 60$ - meaning I will have to pay 291$ if I submit for - refusal of returning funds to the client. So UpWork can set court on it?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
20 of 60

Dusko A wrote:

That is all okay and I will know better for the future.

So If I understood correctly, it will cost me 291$ to have UpWork to decide if I win those 60$ - meaning I will have to pay 291$ if I submit for - refusal of returning funds to the client. So UpWork can set court on it?

Yes, you would have to pay $291 that you would not get back even if you win. But, it's not to Upwork. Upwork can't make that decision. The money goes to an outside arbitrator, which is like a privately hired judge. The actual cost is much higher--the client and Upwork also each pay $291.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS