cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transcription

Highlighted
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
1 of 4
I do copyediting and proofreading, and now I am thinking about transcription work. But I have some questions. I know how to transcribe using the old school pedal method. I'm assuming that what is used for transcribing now, however, is some kind of software. Is that correct? If so, how do I learn about that? Thanks!
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Nancy I Member Since: Apr 8, 2010
2 of 4
You can purchase a USB foot pedal that plugs into your computer. It will run you about $55 or so, and the software that works with them is Express Scribe, that you can download for free or you can purchase the professional package but it's not necessary. Good luck to you!
Highlighted
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
3 of 4
Thank you, Nancy! I'll look into that. Is transcription something that takes quite a bit of training, or is it basically typing what you are listening to and making the text go smoothly?
Highlighted
Ruth M Member Since: Jan 9, 2015
4 of 4

It really doesn't require training as such. You can Google and you'll find lots of resources. As long as you have a knack for listening to accents, i.e American, Australian, Canadian, Asian, and you can Google up unfamiliar words and phrases, you are good to go. Oh, and ofcourse, a reasonably fast typing speed.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS