🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Transerwise Bordless account holder name
Page options
andrewjdavison
Community Member

Transerwise Bordless account holder name

Hi

Like some other freelancers, I have a Transferwise Borderless USD account and withdraw my earnings to there.

I've just got an email from Transferwise saying that from Jan 1st they'll reject all incoming payments unless the sender users the account holder name format "Transferwise FBO [ Person's Name]"

I know that UpWork has strict requirements for payout bank account holders names matching freelancer names, so if I change my account holder name from "[My Name]" to "Transfers FBO [My Name]"... is that going to cause a problem?

Thanks

Andrew Davison

5 REPLIES 5
foursixfour
Community Member

Hey guys, 

I've been using Transferwise to get paid out of Upwork, and I just recently received an email from Transferwise saying:

On January 1, we'll start rejecting payments if the sender doesn't use the new name, 'TransferWise FBO XXXXX (my name)'.

And since I know that Upwork's bank payment links our Upwork name to the bank account name ... does this mean that I will no longer be able to get paid through Transferwise? (Because my Upwork name could not possibly be 'Transferwise FBO XXXXX' right?) 

Otherwise, anyone have any other suggestions of something similar to getting paid through Transferwise, other than Paypal? 

Any ideas on this would be highly appreciated! Thanks!

Jenn

UPDATE: According to this Twitter exchange with Transferwise, it seems this won't affect ACH payments, only wire ones: https://twitter.com/TransferWise/status/1073744165790474240

Hi,

I received the same email from TransferWise saying the same information, and I've read the Twitter link you attached. But I still don't get it, does it mean that if I use the ACH payment method, I still will be able to get paid from Upwork without writing 'TransferWise FBO' before my name as the recipient account name?

Thanks

Hi Sesilia

Did it work for you? (ACH and just your name without the Transferwise FBO prefix?

ovudesign
Community Member

Hi!

I can confirm ACH payments to Transferwise USD bordlerss account still work fine with just your name (without the FBO thing). I've had it set up for more than a year without a problem.

Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Feb 13
Feb 28
Upwork Community Virtual Hour
Community Hour English
Mar 28
Upwork Virtual Community Hour
Community Hour English
Learning Paths