cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Translate 75 articles for 1 buck ! or less !!!! each one...

irma2513
Irma F Member Since: Apr 12, 2017
1 of 14

Hello, dear fellows.

What do you think about this, I have done a couple of work in past for a client when I recently started at UpWork and I translated aprox. 15 articles per 25 bucks. 500-600 words. I know that is was a really low price, but I was a begginer and for that moment I had not familiarized with the rates. But now I am update with the rate..

When she asked how much will cost the translation of 75 articles, 300-400 word aprox. I told her 7$ each one with proofreading because she was a client long-term (Is still low)--- She was not agree... and I won´t accept the work.... so as I understood she wants each article for 1 $ this is a completely ridiculous rate and extremely low...

Let me know your feedbacks...

P.D: I started in UpWork 3 months ago, so I´m still learning about to be a good freelancer...

Cheers.Cat Tongue

barada00
Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
2 of 14

I would kindly refuse if I was you. There is a catch though... If you have an open contract with this client they can give you a bad rating after you refuse, so before you do that ask them to close the contract and open a new one. This way they would write a review and give rating before you refuse to do **Edited for Community Guidelines**.

As a reason you can say you want to increase the number of jobs finished on your profile or something like that...

barada00
Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
3 of 14

if I said **Edited for Community Guidelines** it would be much stronger than **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Will this also be **Edited for Community Guidelines**?

irma2513
4 of 14

Hi, Baris.

Thank you for your comment, I am strongly agree with you.

In fact, she never funded the milestone, only asked me by a private message, and I whit a big smile I said to her.. Thank you so much, but I am not interested in the job and less in the rate.......
Next....

In this opportunity I keep my rating record out of bad comments.

Good Advice Smiley Wink

meri-veseli
Meri V Member Since: Apr 26, 2018
5 of 14

how can i work as translator, which is procedur?

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 14

Taking on work for very low rates to get started is a mistake many beginning Upworkers make. The important thing is that you don't get trapped in that cycle and keep taking on jobs with inappropriate pay rates. 

What your client is offering is ridiculous and you should not accept. On the other hand, remember that she is basing what she thinks she can offer in part on what you agreed to do before. From that perspective, it may not look outrageous from her end. 

Decline politely and start working your way up. You may have to increase your rates in increments, since prospective clients can see your past rates.

irma2513
7 of 14

Hi, Tiffany 

Thanks for the advise, very wise....

"Decline politely and start working your way up. You may have to increase your rates in increments, since prospective clients can see your past rates."  Yes, you are right I did it !!!!! 

Smiley Very Happy

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
8 of 14

From the original poster's profile: Legal Translation English-Spanish and vice versa

Maybe $1 per 300-400 words is not so bad after all.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 14

jokes on the client when she slaps that stuff on her website and nobody that reads English understands anything. Hope she's not trying to sell anything.

ottavinidesign
Ace Contributor
Davide O Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
10 of 14

Hi there Irma,

It's pretty clear that english is not your first language, and I feel you, but I won't throw quirky or snappy comments at that; Instead I'll try and give you a couple of tips regarding your situation: You can follow or ignore 'em, it's up to you.

First things first, I'm not that familiar with the rates regarding translation-work, I guess it heavily depends on the type of "article" you're dealing with. Something like an old spanish history book, translated in english, would not only be harder to translate, but cost more compared to something like a vlog article, I might be mistaken thou.

With that said, look around you, check what your colleagues have to offer and their rates, how do they perform compared to you? Can you offer the same services as them? Why doesn't a higher rate work for you? Search for feedback...and I'm not talking about the "I'll give you 5 stars anyways because you cost me nothing" kind of deal, but real honest feedback (Judging by a couple of comments on this thread, you can kinda read through the lines on some of that "honest" feedback that you need).  Which brings us to the second point;

Make sure to NEVER ever ever stop working on yourself, on your skills. Try to always improve with each and every project you work on, or else you'll stay, sadly, on the same exact spot you started on...getting paid peanuts.

I'm not saying you should take jobs you're not sure you'll be able to accomplish (That'll hit you hard on feedback and JSS), but the first step to improve is recognizing your own limits, and work from there.

I'm not sure on how proficient you are in translating from spanish to english and viceversa, but judging from the main post, it looks a bit "rusty", and overall understandable, as I stated at the beginning of this post, even more so because you're not asking for something that seems like a "high rate" for your services.

If I had to wear your shoes I would "trim down" my services to fit my actual skills and work towards what I had before as a "goal". Once I reach that first goal, it doesn't mean I'll stop there, but I'll definitely feel way better asking for a higher rate (and trust me, the clients will notice your confidence and new-acquired skills and be more willing to pay a higher rate/hire you if they can see that in your cover letter and during the interview process).

As usual, I'm kinda surprised/shocked that some users don't live up to the old saying "If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all", but I guess there's some appeal to that...maybe...who knows.

Don't take this as a "personal attack" or anything of the likes, but as "constructive criticism".

Regards,

Davide

"You are the master of your unspoken words, but a slave to the words you have spoken." - Winston Churchill

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS