cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Translation Work CV

marsofsilva
Mariana S Member Since: Jul 31, 2018
1 of 6

Hi everyone! 🙂 I'm looking for help, mainly from translators who do most of their work here.

On my CV, I state that I do freelance translation work - however, I have just landed my first big ongoing translation project here on Upwork, and I thought that maybe I should highlight that on my CV, with the name of the company and a brief description of the project. I have also done a few smaller projects for big-name companies that I could possibly highlight. Should I ask my clients first? And should I state that they were done on Upwork? This is quite important for me as I have to present my CV to run for my Master's Degree, and I really wanted it to stand out - that's why I'm giving this matter some thought at this point.

I know there is no "right way" to do it, but I figured I would post here just to hear your thoughts on this, especially from fellow translators 🙂 thank you all in advance!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 6

Mariana, I'd ask your clients first, just out of courtesy and to be on the safe side.

But provided your clients do not object, I think it's a great idea. You might also want to include a link to your Upwork profile. It looks good and your feedback is solid, so use it!

Good luck!

marsofsilva
Mariana S Member Since: Jul 31, 2018
3 of 6
Thank you so much, Petra!
browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
4 of 6

Of course it never hurts to ask as Petra has recommended. However, one question is whether their name is clearly stated in your profile from their job posting. If they are using the company name in those job posts, then this information is already public and associated to you so there really is no reason in that case to ask unless you really want to. If the company name is not listed in their job posting, then perhaps there is a reason they don't want it to be known. If you were using their name as part of your marketing (not resume marketing) or in some blog or article, then absolutely they should be asked. As far as mentioning Upwork. This one really makes no difference. If you feel it is somehow relevant to mention Upwork then by all means, but otherwise indicating either freelance or independent contractor is really the only other critical detail. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 6

Scott B wrote:

Of course it never hurts to ask as Petra has recommended. However, one question is whether their name is clearly stated in your profile from their job posting. If they are using the company name in those job posts, then this information is already public and associated to you so there really is no reason in that case to ask unless you really want to.

That would be the case only if the original job posting was public (not Upwork users only, or by Invite) - that is why not all contracts can be seen when looking at someone's profile while not logged in. Only contracts that resulted from public  job posts are "already public."

It would also appear that  none of the OPs contracts in her work history  name the client (I didn't look too carefully, but could not see any.)

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
6 of 6

Petra R wrote:

Scott B wrote:

Of course it never hurts to ask as Petra has recommended. However, one question is whether their name is clearly stated in your profile from their job posting. If they are using the company name in those job posts, then this information is already public and associated to you so there really is no reason in that case to ask unless you really want to.

That would be the case only if the original job posting was public (not Upwork users only, or by Invite) - that is why not all contracts can be seen when looking at someone's profile while not logged in. Only contracts that resulted from public  job posts are "already public."

It would also appear that  none of the OPs contracts in her work history  name the client (I didn't look too carefully, but could not see any.)

I didn't look at the OP's profile, but it was just a general comment (for her our anyone in the future) should they have a job that does show the company's name. Still on a CV I would not be very concerned unless something was signed indicating the company could not be disclosed. Even those are usually reserved for marketing purposes. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS