cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel article for 250-300 words - what would be the best charge?

raez80
D. R Member Since: Mar 3, 2016
1 of 16

Hello everyone,

I have a returning client in negotiation regarding another writing project. This time it is on travel article writing for 250-300 words, one article everyday, possibly for the next 2 or so weeks. I opened up a negotiable rate of USD5 - 7 per article, reasoned that the minimum charge is usually USD0.02/word hence the USD5 minimum rate per article/day. I'd like your opinions on whether or not the rate I am negotiating (USD5) is reasonable, and how low do you think I should go for such tasks? The client did mention that it's a bit too expensive for a 250-word article, so I'm guessing that she is looking at a long term rate or project. Appreciate your input. Thank you. 

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 16

$0.02 per word ? This is a completely ridiculous rate. Just fire this cheapo and find real clients.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
gnakeur
Community Guru
Giorgi N Member Since: Dec 5, 2015
3 of 16

Hmmm, what can be less than 0.02$? 0.01$?. After this you can do 2 words for 0.01 etc. I wouldn't even read the word for 0.02$ or entire article for 5$. You can not even buy some seeds for this lol 🙂

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 16

D.R, it depends what you are prepared to work for. As René says, it is extremely low. I would definitely not negotiate down.

Remember that there is soon to be a hike in rates which means you will be paying 20% until you and your client reach the $500 mark and then it will go back to 10%.

If you can, I would hold out for a minimum of $7 - $10 per 250-word article. (By many writers' standards this would not even be worth getting out of bed for!)

st-leipzig
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
5 of 16

D.R - 

there is no reason for discounts just because a project is long(er)-term, quite the opposite actually. Finding a reliable freelancer is of great value for a client, having one freelancer who reliably delivers regularly saves the client a lot of time and energy as opposed to having to deal with a bunch of different freelancers.

raez80
D. R Member Since: Mar 3, 2016
6 of 16

Hi Nichola, 

Thank you for your opinion. And to the rest as well. I got a much better insight on what to expect in the future. Thank you again. 🙂

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 16

@D. R wrote:

The client did mention that it's a bit too expensive for a 250-word article, so I'm guessing that she is looking at a long term rate or project. Appreciate your input. Thank you. 

lol

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
8 of 16

Maybe you can pay the client for the privilage of researching, composing, writing, proofreading and editing - instead of the client paying you.

$.02 per word is too expensive??? How low does he want you to go. And that amount would be long term? I would not work with this client.

mrdanielprice
Community Guru
Daniel P Member Since: Aug 15, 2014
9 of 16

Geez, $5 - $7 is bad by western standards.

I don't do travel articles, but for a pretty straightforward news article that can range from 150 - 300 words, I'm considering charging £10 (about $14.5) and that's working outside of Upwork.

For something where you're doing a fair bit of research for each, you might be better off charging by the hour. I'm considering do that, too, but I'm not 100% sure yet. I'm finding a per article rate can be simple, but time taken to write relativity straightforward articles can vary, so...

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
10 of 16
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS