🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Traveling Internationally while Working
Page options
elizakz
Community Member

Traveling Internationally while Working

Hey Everyone!

So I'm going to be traveling for three weeks later this year and since three weeks is a "longer vacation" I'm going to be available to my clients for smaller projects. My question is I'm going to be in different countries so does that mean that the currency will change in Upwork while I'm working? I just want to double check on this before I start informing my clients. (I'm going to be going from USA to Nepal then Turkey.) Also if anyone has advice on keeping clients since I've had issues in the past where they were fine with me taking vacation but then they dropped me once I got back. Thanks!!

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "...does that mean that the currency will change in Upwork while I'm working?"

No.

Your currency will not change.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

I always continue working on Upwork when I travel internationally, Elizabeth. And I am sometimes on the road for months on end.

As long as I keep working with my clients in their time zone, none ever seem to care where I am physically. But if you're going from the US to Nepal and Turkey and your clients are in the US, that's a big time zone difference that will require you to be available during some inconvenient local times.

If you want to have a true vacation with no work expected from you while you're traveling, you don't have any choice but to let your clients know ahead of time. If you give them a few weeks' notice and ask them to let you know what they need completed before you leave, they may not care that you will be unavailable while traveling. It depends on the nature of the work you do.

Thanks for the help! I do photo editing mostly but none of my clients are consistent with work. I do understand that three weeks is a longer time away but it's for a project that i didn't have control of the time. That's why I'm figuring it would be best to be somewhat available. I also have a fellow freelancer who will be assisting me with one client as long as it's alright with the client of course. Thanks for the advice!

petra_r
Community Member

Elizabeth K wrote:

My question is I'm going to be in different countries so does that mean that the currency will change in Upwork while I'm working? 

All freelancers are paid always in US Dollars, it does not matter where they are in the world they are or where they travel to. The money is charged to the client in US Dollars, and shows in everyone's Upwork reports in US Dollars.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members