Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling and working

Highlighted
Berina P Member Since: Jul 9, 2016
1 of 4

Dear everyone,

I have a question which I am not sure who to ask so I will just post it here. Anyways, I am from Bosnia and Herzegovina, a country in Europe and therefore (logically) I did not have to sign a special form for U.S. residents.

BUT, on Tuesday I will be traveling to Boston and NY and I will stay there for 17 days. Also, since I am currently working on a job here at Upwork, I will have to continue that from there.

Is there any special procedure in this case or the rules don't change for those forms don't change?

Thank You!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 4

@Berina P wrote:

Dear everyone,

I have a question which I am not sure who to ask so I will just post it here. Anyways, I am from Bosnia and Herzegovina, a country in Europe and therefore (logically) I did not have to sign a special form for U.S. residents.

BUT, on Tuesday I will be traveling to Boston and NY and I will stay there for 17 days. Also, since I am currently working on a job here at Upwork, I will have to continue that from there.

Is there any special procedure in this case or the rules don't change for those forms don't change?

Thank You!

I am sure you will be all right provided you are being paid in Bosnia and Herzegovina, and that you are only in the US on a leisure trip with a return ticket. However, it is probably best to not to declare your intention to work to any immigration official! This forum site on the subject of working while away may be useful:

http://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/12771/i-want-to-travel-to-the-usa-while-working-remotely-f...

By the way, are you sure you don't need a holiday visa?

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/visit/visa-waiver-program.html

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 4

To be really practical, if you are going to go on a short vacation and do some work from your laptop while you do, just do it.

You can't go around telling people about it. Really, almost nobody cares. Most places are totally fine with this from a legal standpoint. But in some places this might be officially unacceptable.

Upwork doesn't want you asking them about this. The only thing they can tell you is to obey all applicable laws. But if you fly over here to the United States to hike the Grand Canyon and see some shows in Phoenix, and you log into Upwork from your hotel room and communicate with some clients... yeah, really nobody here cares. Thank you for spending money in my country. I'm pretty sure you weren't taking jobs away from Americans while you were here.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 4

It's just better not to say anything when you show your passport.

I remember once going to Canada years ago, in another life, when I painted for a living and had a few dried gourds (with seeds still intact) painted to look like cute matryoshka dolls to give away as presents.

I had completely forgotten that, painted or not, these would be considered plants (a big no-no on the forbidden list) by the authorities. When I was asked specifically, if I had anything to declare such as seeds etc. Eye contact quivered and wavered, skin colour changed, and speech was unconvincing, but they let me through. It was a shaky moment though . . .

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS