🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Tried out something new, got average feedback...
Page options
85b93312
Community Member

Tried out something new, got average feedback, what now?

Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to Upwork and as part of my journey, I took up an assignment for something I had never done before. Turns out I love writing content, but I am not really good at it! Great learning, but this has impacted my JSS, and I am wondering how to recover from this setback. Since I have only a little feedback, it has a significant impact and is making it much harder to get new opportunities. Has anyone gone through this, what have you done?

5 REPLIES 5
Community Member

Solution: don't do jobs for which you are un-qualified. Only sell services that you can perform well.

As far as JSS is concerned, the impact of this job will go down with each successive job completion (and long-term contract qualification). And its effect will go down as a result of time (assuming you complete more jobs and receive positive feedback), because the JSS is the highest of 4 different time-period scores.

Yeah, the opportunities will be harder to convert into paying gigs. But it will eventually get easier. One nightmare client tanked my JSS from around 95% to 70%. That was three months ago, and I am now at 86%. To build back up, I just fought harder. I also bid low on smaller jobs for which I was significantly over-qualified, which enabled me to get some feedback. While their impact was small (because their revenue was comparatively small), my metrics did improve. So that is my recommendation to you: aggressively pursue small jobs for which you are over-qualified.

sullivanliz
Community Member

If you want to make a go of it here, it's best not to treat your clients so cavalierly. If they hire you to do a job they - quite rightly - expect you to be able to do the job.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Clients aren't interested in helping you with your "journey". All you can do now is learn from this experience and not repeat it; if you want to acquire a new skill, do it on your own time.

ericaandrews
Community Member

No. I have never done that.  Reason:

Upwork is not really intended as a platform for people looking to "learn on the job".  Most clients come to the platform expecting people to be EXPERTS in their field or experts in the job type the client is hiring for.  Unless the client specifically labels the job type 'entry level' or includes some type of text indicating they welcome 'newbies' to the field, welcome inexperienced freelancers, are willing to train, or welcome people 'learning' the field/job, then you should not send in a submission for the job unless you are an expert in the field or the type of work the client is hiring for. 

On Upwork, you are a professional SERVICE PROVIDER to the clients, not an 'employee' an 'employer' is looking to 'nurture' and 'train': What you're looking to 'explore' in your life 'journey' is not relevant on this platform as it relates to the client's NEEDS.  Clients are on the platform to buy services from people who know what they are doing, not to 'create opportunities' or 'give people jobs' or 'give people chances' or help people "grow".  

How would you feel if you took your car in for repair and then found out the 'mechanic' that worked on your car was really a nurse or an attorney, but decided to 'try out' this 'car repair' stuff and kind of 'liked it', and as a result, you received bad repair service because he/she was 'experimenting' on your car for their own 'learning' purposes? Not cool. That is not good value for the customer/client's money.

This is not a traditional 'job site': It is a business platform for independent talent and business owners to offer expert-level SERVICES to clients. 'Learning' or 'experimenting' with new job fields on somebody else's time/money (without clearly explaining to them your lack of experience in that arena) is not a SERVICE. It's a dis-service that can actually cause clients to start leaving the platform out of concerns they can find good services on the platform.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to try out new career fields. However, if you choose to do so, you should DEVELOP those skills on your own (on your own time, not on somebody else's dollar), and then offer them on Upwork only after you have truly advanced those skills enough to offer them as a SERVICE that is truly going to benefit the client, not just your own personal 'growth'.

The way to 'recover' your score is to not take any other jobs in which you are not an expert.  Take jobs in which you are an expert, do a great job and provide great service, and future scores will help offset the 'average' feedback you just received.  Honestly, you should feel lucky you received 'average' feedback and not fully negative feedback in this situation.  Remember, success on this site relies almost 100% on reputation : You damage your reputation on the platform when you knowingly accept jobs which are not the best fit for your current skills, which may differ from your career interests.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Laila:

For what it's worth... Even though you are not an experienced writer, you are probaly a better writer than 90% of the freelancers on Upwork who offer services as a writer.

Most freelancers on Upwork who offer writing services are not actually writers, but are actually spinners. That's not a criticism, just a factual observation.

Most people who enjoy writing do so as a hobby or avocation. I don't recommend looking at writing on Upwork as a career move if money is your primary motivation.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members