Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble landing new jobs - lack of quality clients

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
1 of 12

Since the introduction of the connects and the JS score and especially the rebranding as Upwork I haven't really been able to land new jobs.

I only started using oDesk/Upwork in February 2015 but the first 2 months were great. And then it changed; basically when my JS score dropped because of one unreasonable client I never worked for and his negative private feedback. But I am back to being top rated. 

Lately my job feed has become a pool of mostly unsuitable jobs that don't match my skills anymore posted by an influx of new clients that don't seem to hire anyone or don't know what they are looking for.

2 weeks ago I was a candidate for a couple of jobs that never materialised. I spent a lot of time emailing with potential clients trying to figure out what they needed me to do - and then they just went MIA. 

Something is off, but I have no idea what it is. I know there are established freelancers that haven't experienced anything like this and who even seem to benefit from all the changes. There are for sure a few freelancers whose names I see in every applicant's list (having been invited by clients).

It may have to do with the search algorithm - I tried to find out what it looks for in another thread (https://community.upwork.com/t5/Clients/Finding-the-right-freelancer-for-your-job/m-p/81952#M3573) and never got an explanation as to how it works. There's also the question about the level of experience that we apparently chose at one point though nobody seems to remember doing so. A few people asked whether and how it can be adjusted - no answer yet.

If there is sth I need to do I am more than willing to evolve - but somehow it worked from day 1 without having any kind of feedback or JS score to attract clients with. So why isn't it working anymore now that I have established some sort of track record?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
2 of 12

Your level of expertise is intermediate http://screencast.com/t/zrqRvnk15i (search), I actually first tried expert level http://screencast.com/t/rt8qQb7vuhI

Highlighted
Community Guru
3 of 12

@Natasha R wrote:

Your level of expertise is intermediate http://screencast.com/t/zrqRvnk15i (search), I actually first tried expert level http://screencast.com/t/rt8qQb7vuhI

Thanks. I would have considered myself an expert with regard to some of my skills. Well, apparantly I selected that myself. Who knows whether that even makes a difference...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
4 of 12

Natsaha...

Could you please look for me and tell/show me what you see about me? ... because I know I have never inputted that information. I also know that tomorrow (Monday) is when I have to bump the thread asking the mods to explain what this mysterious metric is about. It's been two weeks since Lena showed it and was asked to explain it, and since then they said have only said that they had to go and find out because they don't know....

Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 12

Could you please look for me and tell/show me what you see about me? ... because I know I have never inputted that information.

Expert http://screencast.com/t/h4qgFVQE7JnW

It's been two weeks since Lena showed it and was asked to explain it, and since then they said have only said that they had to go and find out because they don't know....

I guess it’s something new and only visible when signing up. I wonder what metrics are they using to determine experience level, I mean for those of us who signed up before.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
6 of 12

I'm in teh same boat. My entire job feed is filled with garbage. I still have 50 connects left near the end of this month, and the ones I used were more to connect with a client rather than expect to actually land the job.

It's dried up here. Not what it used to be. Turned into a micro job site like fiver. The number of clients who do not follow through is going through the roof. The jobs in my feed are obviously posted by people who are first timers to business. new/unverified, wanting to pay $200 for $5000 worth of work... etc.

After clicking the 'load more jobs links' a couple times in search for established clients, I still see nothing but people who have cumulatively spent less on dozens of postings than what most of us need to live on for a single month.

In other words... teh clients have less money than the freelancers, lol. No joke.

That in itself tells you where this market is heading and who will benefit from it in the future as it stands today.

Anyways... it's not just you. I've all but given up on the idea of earning a living from Upwork and no longer recommend it to my friends as an alternative or even a back-up source of income. Wish that wasn't the case, but it just is.

It's broken on many levels these days and honestly I don't think it's going to get better.

I did see a somehat plausable posting yesterday though, but I didn't apply because the client looks like this:

4.9 star client

23 jobs completed

gave feedback 6 times

2 of the 6 were 1 or 2 star

At a glance looks great, but because he has a habbit of not leaving feedback.. I know that it is one small step to hurting my profile if he doesn't bother to leave feedback for me.

So 2 things make it next to impossible these days.

1. Very poor 'client' base

2. Control systems implimented by Upwork

I'm 90% sure that it's just a matter of time my profile will be destroyed by a combination of inexperienced/broke/emotional clients, Upwork automated systems, and lack of support. So why bother? It's like spending 80% of your available time trying to  make 20% of the money you could if everything worked properly.

I'd rather refer a new client on another platform to view my Odesk profile as a reference, than I would roll the dice here for gigs that worth a week of salary at best (but actually take a month to complete). Haven't been doing this, but it's crossed my mind recently.

It's a tough market now for anyone not able to live off a couple hundred bucks a month. Sure there are still exceptions and some are doing ok.. but many who once were doing great, no longer fit in to the new direction Upwork is taking.

Perhaps it's different for people in other skill categories, I don't know. All clients I had in the past who could afford to pay higher wages have left oDesk and will never return. They seem to be replaced by new ones who simply aren't at as established.

Hell of a business these oDesk investors decided to get into, lol. One problem after another for them, even after several years of operation.

Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 12

That's a good example of what I am looking at a lot:

BTW: It's a new client - so he/she is not looking for a certain "Tim" he/she has worked with before...

I need someone to rtanslate

Hourly Job

Part Time
Less than 1 month
Entry Level
I am looking for freelancers with the lowest rates

Details

tim to translate a book in german to eng

• Translate: from german to english

You will be asked to answer the following questions when applying:

1. What questions do you have about the project?
  2. Why did you apply to this particular job?
Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 12

Well, apparantly I selected that myself.

I never selected anything; I don’t even know where that option is.

I tried to find Tony, and he only shows up under “Any experience”.

Highlighted
Community Guru
9 of 12

@Natasha R wrote:

Well, apparantly I selected that myself.

I never selected anything; I don’t even know where that option is.

I tried to find Tony, and he only shows up under “Any experience”.

Well, you are an expert! - Congrats!

Highlighted
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
10 of 12

I haven't seen a lot of interesting jobs in the editing field lately. I check everyday, but not a lot of jobs seem to be showing up. It just gives me incentive to get off my butt and begin to look for other revenue sources. There have been a few publishing companies I've been meaning to approach and I should probably do it.

My job feedback has been broken for months. The problem is that you can't specify the category when you want to save the search. You can specify the category in the search but not when saving to your job feed. This means my job feed is filled with jobs to edit Wordpress themes, edit photos, and to edit computer programs. Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot more of these jobs than jobs to edit someone's book.

Include the fact that my job feed likes to repeat itself (show the same job list two or three times instead of loading new jobs) and it just gets a bit discouraging.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS