🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Trouble opening a file from NeoOffice
Page options
board-karen
Community Member

Trouble opening a file from NeoOffice

I have a new client who hired me to edit her book. She sent me several pages in PDF so I could get an idea of what it would involve, and then after we agreed on contract, I asked her to send me the book file in docx format. She said she was using NeoOffice but could convert it to a docx file. But I can't open the file she sent. 

I'm not familiar with NeoOffice. I think it's used with mac computers. Anyone know how she can send me a file that I can edit and get back to her? I'm using Microsoft Word, which most of my clients use, so I haven't had to deal with this.

4 REPLIES 4
board-karen
Community Member

She's got it saved on her computer as an ODT file. 

colettelewis
Community Member

Karen B wrote:

I have a new client who hired me to edit her book. She sent me several pages in PDF so I could get an idea of what it would involve, and then after we agreed on contract, I asked her to send me the book file in docx format. She said she was using NeoOffice but could convert it to a docx file. But I can't open the file she sent. 

I'm not familiar with NeoOffice. I think it's used with mac computers. Anyone know how she can send me a file that I can edit and get back to her? I'm using Microsoft Word, which most of my clients use, so I haven't had to deal with this.

Hmm - tricky. Neo Office is a Mac program for Open Office and  Libre Office. It is mostly compatible with Word. I have Libre Office and it is not dissimilar to Word (depending on your version of Word). If you PM me I can give you the link to a super efficient converter - mostly free - but not expensive if you have to pay.  

Thank you Nichola. Yes, she says she's working with MacBook Pro. So, I know she can convert the file and send it to me as a Microsoft Word doc. But then, I'll be editing and sending back to her, so every time we are converting back and forth, it's losing formatting (I'm guessing).

She's going to be self-publishing with KDP. I know they have a Mac version, so I'm wondering if she might be better off with a editor with Mac and Neo Office and just go with that through the process.

Or, can we convert to Microsoft Word and just stick with that? Can a Mac read Microsoft? 

I figured out how to do it! I was able to keep my client, and we have successfully been exchanging files.

This is how I did it (in case anyone else runs into this problem, most likely me, and I'll forget what I did):

1) Sent her document to Google Drive

2) Then Cloud Converter 

3) Then opened in Google Documents

4) I then saved to Microsoft Word

ta da!!!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths