🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Trustworthy or not?
Page options
ellalin
Community Member

Trustworthy or not?

I am in the midst of an interview for a job, and I was just emailed by upwork saying they "This job was not in compliance with our Terms of Service." I asked the interviewer, and he said "We had enough proposal so we had to take the job offer off upwork."

Should I just be safe and back out?

4 REPLIES 4
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Hiring off the platform, after connecting via the platform, is the cardinal sin for which both parties can be permanently banned. So, yes, you should stop communicating with that client. The fact that you needed to ask the question suggests you should spend more time reviewing the terms of service and the information available in the Help sections and in this forum about how to work safely on Upwork. I say that not to be critical but to help you help yourself. 

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

It was taken down because it was a scam. These scam jobs get posted every day and the scammers know that they'll be taken down quickly, that's why they tell you BS about how they have enough candidates or that they've paid an opt-out fee to hire you etc. If a client legitimately decided to close his job, you wouldn't get a message saying that it didn't comply with Upwork's terms of service.

If someone offers to send you a cheque or insists on paying you off of the platform (which is also a TOS violation on your part), then you should report them.

jr-translation
Community Member

Lindsay F wrote:

I am in the midst of an interview for a job, and I was just emailed by upwork saying they "This job was not in compliance with our Terms of Service." I asked the interviewer, and he said "We had enough proposal so we had to take the job offer off upwork."

Should I just be safe and back out?

I just love that line.
Just spend some time reading and understanding the ToS and you will be fine and will understand why this job was not compliant with the ToS.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Lindsay,

I would like to confirm that this means that the job post was removed due to violations of our Terms of Service. 
I would also recommend checking out this Post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths