cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying To Make It Right With A Client

calebmcfarland
Caleb M Member Since: Oct 12, 2016
1 of 36

So I screwed up with a client. I delivered good work but not on time. I'm trying to make it right with the client by offering a partial refund for the project and by doing another job for a greatly decreased price. Is that a good approach to fixing issues with clients and hopefully getting bad feedback tweaked to better feedback? And if that is a good approach, did I present it correctly in this message? Here's my message to them:

''Based on your review I can see that you're not happy with my work. I screwed up here. Your criticism was completely correct. I did not meet deadlines on time. If I can, I want to fix this. I'd like to refund the last job and do a job for practically nothing. Due to Upwork's policies I have to be paid something, but we can keep it at a dollar. Basically free. If you like the new work I do you might consider makeing your review more favorable. If not, I understand. Either way it was a pleasure working with you and I hope we cross paths again in the future.''

Thank you for reading my question.

engrumaraftab
Community Leader
Umar A Member Since: Aug 18, 2015
2 of 36

If you are quite afraid of the spot (Bad Feedback) on your profile, you can get it removed from there.

calebmcfarland
3 of 36

I'm not seeing that ability. Also, the feedback is true. I would like to better the client's experience with me so that they can honestly leave me better feedback. (One article I read said that you can hide the feedback, but that clients would see that and find it suspicious.)

engrumaraftab
Community Leader
4 of 36

If I get it right, you want to move on with the same client. Then, you should better build up your trust on him. Otherwise, accept the bad but true feedback and continue finding oportunities to work with others. Thanks

engrumaraftab
Community Leader
5 of 36

And, do you have an option to make a refund? in case yes, you can refund all that you got paid and the feedback will not show on your profile. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 36

@Umar A wrote:

If you are quite afraid of the spot (Bad Feedback) on your profile, you can get it removed from there.

No, he can't - unless he refunds in full.

A full refund will make the visible feedback vanish from the profile, but the private feedback will remain, and when he gets his Job Success Score it will not be pretty. The effect on the JSS can not be altered after the fact so the OP is stuck with it.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
7 of 36

If I received this message as a client, I would not believe at all that you were trying to make things right. To me, it reads as if you only care about improving your feedback, even though you have admitted that it was accurate. I would feel like you'd already inconvenienced me by missing the deadline and now you expected me to invest more time in creating an opportunity for you to save your own **Edited for Community Guidelines**.

On top of that, if you're asking the client to change the old feedback, which it sounds like you are, you are asking him to lie. That review was of the work you did before, and you've agreed that it was accurate. Hoping to earn a better review on a new project with the same client to balance it out would be one thing, but you're asking him to change his review on your performance on project 1 based on performance on another job unrelated to that review. 

If you're really concerned about the feedback (or actually care about making things right) issue a refund. Don't expect the client to invest effort in colluding with you to dishonestly clean up your own mess.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 36

@Tiffany S wrote:

If you're really concerned about the feedback (or actually care about making things right) issue a refund. Don't expect the client to invest effort in colluding with you to dishonestly clean up your own mess.

totally agree with Tiffany.

engrumaraftab
Community Leader
9 of 36

@Petra

I also agree with Tiffany. And I have already instructed Caleb how he can get that feedback removed from his profile. Obviously, making a full amount refund is the only option. 

calebmcfarland
10 of 36

I can see what you're saying. I hadn't really seen it like that. My understanding was that the feedback was for me as a client vs for one specific job. I was hoping by doing everything I could to fix the problem his opinion of me as a freelancer would improve and that he would add on to his existing feedback. I failed but I did all I could to fix it kind of thing. I wouldn't ask him to lie about a job, I just wanted to do what I could to improve his regard for me as a freelancer which would hopefully be reflected in an expansion of his feedback.

Thanks for taking the time to answer me. You made some good points I hadn't even thought of.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS