Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying To Make It Right With A Client

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 36

Caleb: A lot of us really messed up when we first started working on Upwork. I know I did. Learn from your mistakes and move on. You can bounce back from this,

To be really clear and concise about what you should have done upon seeing negative feedback from the client - feedback that was justified and accurate:

- Keep the money and move on. Don't try to alter the feedback.

or

- Issue a 100% refund, which would permanently remove the feedback from your profile page, and there is nothing the client can do about it.

That's pretty much it. Trying to make deals like you did is not okay. If had been In your situation I would NOT have contacted the client again. If the client took the time to write a negative review like that, I don't think he wanted to work with you any further.

Keep in mind that an occasional full refund can be weathered, but if there are too many zero-payment contracts... If there is a pattern of you doing that, it will significantly lower your Job Success Score.

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
12 of 36

As it stands, the worst that can happen is you have some bad feedback. But what's the worst that can happen if you follow through on your idea... you have two lots of bad feedback. I'd refund and leave it at that... not much more you can do. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 36

@Preston H wrote:

Keep in mind that an occasional full refund can be weathered, but if there are too many zero-payment contracts... If there is a pattern of you doing that, it will significantly lower your Job Success Score.

Refunds by themselves have no impact on the Job Success Score. The outcome of the contract is what affects the JSS. Here the outcome was bad, and it will hit him.

The damage to his Job Success Score is already done, and whether he refunds or not will not alter the effect.

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
14 of 36

@Petra R wrote:

Refunds by themselves have no impact on the Job Success Score.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Petra --

How do you know this? What empirical evidence do you have to support this fact? (I am not trying to be argumentative, I just believe that you are wrong. I HOPE that you are correct.)

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
15 of 36

Hi Janean,

I can confirm the information Petra shared about refunds not affecting JSS. Moreover, if the job was completed successfully and the client leaves positive feedback, a job will contribute to the freelancer's JSS positively even if freelancer issued a refund.

~ Valeria
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
16 of 36

For what it's worth, I do not believe that refunds have any impact on a person's Job Success Score.

I believe that zero-pay contracts have a negative impact on a person's Job Success Score. Not necessarily a single zero-pay contract. But if there is a pattern of zero-pay contracts, yes, it will drag the Job Success Score down.

So a "refund" only impacts the Job Success Score negatively if it is a full refund, resulting in a zero-pay contract.

Example:

A freelancer who has been paid $100 to do a project, but could only finish half of it, might refund $50 to the client. This would NOT impact the Job Success Score in any way.

If the client was not fully satisfied with the freelancer because she failed to finish the full project, then his dissatisfaction might be reflected in his feedback (public and/or private). On the other hand, the fact that the freelancer cooporated with the client and came to an amicable solution by refunding half of the money because she only did half of the work... this could work in the freelancer's favor and the client might give her better feedback because of this.

Either way, the PARTIAL refund itself would not have an impact on the Job Success Score.

A full refund, no matter the reason, resulting in a contrat closing with no payment being received by the freelancer, is a different matter, as that results in a zero-pay contract.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
17 of 36

A zero pay contract ALSO has no impact on the score if the private feedback that accompanied it was good.

This contract CLOSED. It's impact on the JSS is DONE. Final. It is what it is, for better or (most likely) for worse.

Refunding will NOT make it worse (or better, for that matter)

What will affect JSS is contracts that started and then nothing happened. No work, no transactions, no feedback, no nothing.

This is not the case here. This contract has already "done its thing" as far as JSS is concerned.

It ain't gonna do no more, regardless of whether he refunds or not at this stage. This ship has sailed.

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
18 of 36

Okay -- So a refund DOES (or CAN) affect JSS. Right?

Here's a couple hypotheticals:

A freelancer enters into a small, fixed-price contract for straightforward work that is an excellent fit with the freelancer's skill set. The freelancer submits the work, expecting one of three straightforward responses--either a release of escrow funds, a request for changes, or radio silence for 14 days, followed by automatic release of funds.

At this point, however, something goes completely haywire--either it turns out that the "client" is actually a scammer who refuses the completed work as "unacceptable" because he is actually looking to get it for free, or else maybe the client is a genuine nutter who previously had decent feedback but who is now apparently off his meds or something, and who unexpectedly accuses the freelancer of crazy stuff, and sends her a link to his website, in which he describes how he is being monitored by the KGB and how several state police departments are conspiring against him. This latter client, too, might refuse the freelancer's work as "unacceptable," demanding a full refund in a series of ever-escalating choleric messages. (Maybe during the same "off-his-meds" time frame, it is later revealed that he made threats to a different freelancer, telling her that he would set the police on her. Maybe his account was temporarily suspended. I am hypothesizing genuine mental illness, here.) In these or other hypothetical cases, the "client" demands a refund, and the freelancer cuts his or her losses, giving back the small amount of money involved.

In such a case, a freelancer is essentially forced to refund escrowed monies in order to avoid (a) further entanglements with mountebanks and/or crazies, and (b) foreseeable baseless "punitive" negative public feedback. The fixed-price contract then becomes essentially "null." In such a case, the full refund DOES affect JSS negatively. Am I correct?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
19 of 36

Janean,

Feedback from clients whose accounts have been suspended for a policy violation or who have a history of poor collaboration and negative feedback from other freelancers is excluded from JSS calculation. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
engrumaraftab
Community Leader
Umar A Member Since: Aug 18, 2015
20 of 36

@Valeria K wrote:

negative feedback from other freelancers is excluded from JSS calculation. 

Sorry, what does that mean? Negative feedback from other freelancers?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS