Did you mean: 

Trying To Make It Right With A Client

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
31 of 36

@Alma I wrote:

@Jennifer D wrote:

Personally, as a client, I give my freelancers HUGE leeway with their deadlines. 

To be honest, it sounds like that was the case with this client as well. From their feedback it sounds like they gave you plenty of opportunities to fix the problem and you never did. Why should they keep giving you chances?

I wouldn't assume that his customer is like you. Since the contract was for 18$ in total, exactly how many deadlines could he possibly have missed? There were exactly 3 and paying a native English speaker with $6 per 750 words is exploitation. AND the customer didn't give 5 stars to almost any of the previous freelancers, despite the exploitative rates. Actually the name of the contract says 'New writers welcome'. That's the sort of title used by bargain hunters and those asking for super cheap writing. 

Alma, I agree. But what I was basing my assumption on was the review where the client mentioned "deadlines" and "multiple excuses" and "repeated extensions". Maybe not as generous as me, but it certainly sounded like the client gave more than one chance to the OP.

ai83
Community Leader
Alma I Member Since: Jan 18, 2016
32 of 36

Caleb, I don't know how badly you could have possibly screwed it up but the contract is for only 18$ and it was open for 3 months. Whatever you did, you were probably not paid enough for it. Keep that in mind the next time when you feel the need to underbid: bidding too low will kill your motivation. 18$ is basically tip money (hint: that's how much a small sandwich costs in Heathrow). Refunding money will actually impact your job success score, if you ever get one, so it's not the smartest move. And you can actually refund the money without consulting with the customer. At the same time, the Upwork lower threshold for the cost of a fixed price project is 5$, not 1$ like you're offering to the customer. 

I suggest you write a nice apologetic message to the customer, maybe even answer publicly to the feedback (it will be visible on your profile), and forget about it. You're new here anyway so, until you get your job success score, you'll probably have a few customers who aren't looking for a Hemingway. To make up for the feedback (it's not that bad and I've seen plenty of writers with that kind of feedback being hired again, especially when the feedback was on this sort of barely-paid contracts) you should update your profile, make it nice, add samples of your writing, showcase what you can do well, and focus on selling your strong points during interviews. Get up and move on.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
33 of 36

@Alma I wrote:
1) 18$ is basically tip money (hint: that's how much a small sandwich costs in Heathrow).
2) Refunding money will actually impact your job success score, if you ever get one, so it's not the smartest move. And you can actually refund the money without consulting with the customer.
3) At the same time, the Upwork lower threshold for the cost of a fixed price project is 5$, not 1$ like you're offering to the customer. 

1) It doesn't really matter. He accepted a contract and didn't deliver. Bottom Line. I agree that partaking in a race to the bottom is a super bad strategy, but price should not be a factor when it comes to making a deadline or not.

PS - $ 18 for a small sandwich at Heathrow? Where do you buy your sarnies Smiley Wink ?

2) No, the act of refunding has absolutely NO impact on the JSS by itself. This contract went really badly wrong so will have impacted his JSS (which he hasn't got yet) significantly. Refunding or not refunding will not make a difference to the extent of the damage. The damage is done. Refunding would simply hide the visible evidence of the damage.

3) That is not correct. The minimum *job posting* value is $ 5. The client "could" (if he could be bothered, and if he has any sense he won't) set up a contract for $ 1.

ai83
Community Leader
Alma I Member Since: Jan 18, 2016
34 of 36

@Petra R wrote:

1) It doesn't really matter. He accepted a contract and didn't deliver.

2) No, the act of refunding has absolutely NO impact on the JSS by itself. This contract went really badly wrong so will have impacted his JSS (which he hasn't got yet) significantly. Refunding or not refunding will not make a difference to the extent of the damage. The damage is done. Refunding would simply hide the visible evidence of the damage.

3) That is not correct. The minimum *job posting* value is $ 5. 

1) Getting on the high horse is indeed the easiest way to issue moral judgement in terms of black and white. However, and it's a big however, the kid needs to remember that his motivation to deliver decreases proportionally with the meagerness of the payment. So indeed, if we're trying to establish if, say, stealing is stealing and it makes as much sense to serve five years in prison for stealing a bread and for embezzling an entire country (because the magnitude of the deed is not as important as dealing with the same category of deed), this type of one size of punishment fits all crimes will do just fine. If we're trying to help a fellow freelancer to adjust his way of thinking such as to improve his motivation and hence success chances, perhaps an applied approach is in order. It's the most lucrative for him to let it go. 

2) One refund doesn't matter but the second immediately decreases JSS. Since we don't exactly know the weights allocated to a refund vs a 3 star score in the JSS, which one's worse is anyone's guess. It's true that a refund can fix this but it must be the only one for a very long period of time. 

3) That's a shame. Not that having such a low minimum fixed wage would be a great comfort. I recall seeing a minimum fixed price wage near the minimum hourly fee but I could be wrong. 

@PS: @Costa

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
35 of 36

@Alma I wrote:

2) One refund doesn't matter but the second immediately decreases JSS. Since we don't exactly know the weights allocated to a refund vs a 3 star score in the JSS, which one's worse is anyone's guess. It's true that a refund can fix this but it must be the only one for a very long period of time.

This simply is not true. The outcome of the contract affects the JSS. The refund, by itself, has no impact at all, positive or negative, in any way, shape, or form.

My point is that the impact of THIS contract on the OP's profile is done and dusted. It will not be made worse or better by refunding.

Refunds have no impact. The impact comes from the outcome of the contract on which the refund happened. This has been confirmed countless times.

The sandwich: Costa is expensive, but I can't remember paying $ 18.00 last time I had one at Heathrow's Costa. (4 years ago, admittedly)

david_gregory
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
36 of 36

I think the OP should finish high school and then get a bit more experience before coming to this site. Obviously, the OP hasn't figured out how to work as a freelancer or schedule time properly.

To be honest, how does someone who is not even out of high school (according to his profile) even get his profile approved.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS