🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Trying to contact my first customer on upwork
Page options
hollowayromero
Community Member

Trying to contact my first customer on upwork

im haveing trouble getting a response for a client. This is my first job on upwork and i would like to complete the job in a timely fashion. I accepted the job 11/2/2019 and work is to be finshed 11/6/19 is there anyway upwork can step in and remind the client ive been trying to contact him for a few days?.

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

No, that is not how this works.

If you client does not respond to you, that is fine.

When you log time on an hourly contract, you get paid AUTOMATICALLY.

When you use the "Submit Work/Request Payment" button on a fixed-price contract, you get paid AUTOMATICALLY.

Upwork does not need to contact your client for you.

Yea I understand that but it’s a fixed price due Wednesday and my client has yet to give me the information needed to complete the task.

You have to gather all information and materials before accepting the contract. Many clients disappear, so when you have all what you need you can complete the job and submit it without their help.

Even though the due date is Wednesday sometimes clients are not that strict with the deadline, so cross your fingers for them to answer you before the due date, otherwise you will need to wait and see if they can extend the time. After all they didn't give you anything to work with so probably they will understand.

Yeah... you're not supposed to accept the contract at all until you have all the input files and instructions necessary for you to finish it.

As for your current situation... nothing you can do except wait. Upwork is not going to help you contact the client. They don't have a magic phone or anything.

This client is not dumb. He knows you can't do the work with what he has given you. He is NOT serious about the deadline you previously discussed.

I just don’t want it to affect my rating seeing as this is my first upwork job I wanted to make a great impression so I look competent. should I wait or just cancel the contract.?

It's not going to hurt you to wait for now.

Romero H wrote:
I just don’t want it to affect my rating seeing as this is my first upwork job I wanted to make a great impression so I look competent. should I wait or just cancel the contract.?

The deadline means absolutely nothing to Upwork. It's just a metric for clients and freelancers to keep things moving. If they haven't given you what you need to do the job, Upwork isn't going to knock you for that. And if the client leaves bad feedback after everything is done because you missed their deadline, you can always give a polite explanation of the situation when you leave a reply for that feedback.

However, before assuming the worst, it's always possible that the client got tied up with other things and forgot to send you the materials, and will still give you a good review if you do the work in a timely manner once they give you the rest of the information.

Whatever you do, do not cancel the contract. Closed contracts without payments can and will hurt your JSS, especially if it's your first job.

Agreed with the guys. Don't worry about that deadline in the contract. At least, not in this case where you don't have anything to work with. When I started I was exactly in the same situation. I had a few jobs done but not enough to get a JSS and I was really worried about the outcome, since I had messaged the client and he was absent for days and days. He replied after 1 month! And I was able to complete the job with flying colors. But the stress during those days taught me to always ask for the materials/instructions beforehand.

mtngigi
Community Member

Romero H wrote:

im haveing trouble getting a response for a client. This is my first job on upwork and i would like to complete the job in a timely fashion. I accepted the job 11/2/2019 and work is to be finshed 11/6/19 is there anyway upwork can step in and remind the client ive been trying to contact him for a few days?.

I'm confused, today is 11/2 - but you've been trying to contact your client for a few days? That doesn't add up. It's the weekend - I wouldn't expect any communication until Monday. Are you sure you have a contract in place?

I’ve been trying to contact him since Thursday of this week I had my date mixed up simple error
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths