🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Trying to figure out if this is a scam...
Page options
85f4d5eb
Community Member

Trying to figure out if this is a scam...

This would be my first job through upwork, and I sent a proposal, went through an interview and was sent a job offer. Mind you, all of this (besides the proposal) was done via skype. The job is supposed to be flexible, but the offer letter has verbiage that states otherwise, and they are assigning me to a "supervisor" to report to every day, even though I was very clear that I could not work certain hours every day, etc. It feels strange. The offer letter provides little to no information, and the fact that none of this was done through upwork seems sketchy to me. Is this normal? Or is this most likely a scam?   

I'm not sure how job offers normally go through upwork, so any advice or insight would be helpful! 

2 REPLIES 2
the-right-writer
Community Member

Yes, it is a scam. You need to read and follow the Terms of Service and then read this from Wes.

Also, learn how fixed price and hourly tracked jobs work.

No only will you lose money, you can permanently lose your Upwork account if you violate the rules.

Before you apply for another job, learn the rules and follow them.

ericaandrews
Community Member

Legitimate Upwork interviews are not done over Skype, Telegram, Teams, Slack, Snapchat, Whatsapp, TikTok or any other platform besides the Upwork-provided communication tools. This is a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service and could get your account suspended or shutdown .

Clients don't send 'offer letters' on this platform.  They send a contract offer directly to your Upwork account for you to review/accept/reject.  Please take some time to read the rules and use the tutorials to understand how contracting works on this platform.  My advice is to stop 'bidding' on stuff or responding to any job offers until you understand how contracting works on this site and how the contracting workflow goes, or you are going to be yet another scam victim. Scammers take advantage of the fact that most new freelancers don't take the time to understand the rules or take the tutorials to understand how contracts are issued and executed on the platform.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths