🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Turkey is not considered Europe?
Page options
koseku
Community Member

Turkey is not considered Europe?

I am from Istanbul(Europe) and i found a job which requires my location from Europe but i cannot apply. I think your system considers my location as Asia?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi All,

Upwork uses the United Nations geoscheme to define regions within Europe. This geoscheme groups Turkey into Western Asia. So I'd like to confirm that this current behavior is by design. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Koray,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your account. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

Turkey, by land mass, is positioned 95% in Asia and 5% in Europe.

Preston H wrote:

Turkey, by land mass, is positioned 95% in Asia and 5% in Europe.

Telling a Turkish person about their own location by copy-pasting from World-Atlas...

Classic.

Istanbul is considered to be in Europe, as is the rest of the European part of the country on the European side of the Bospherus, so "land-mass" of the rest of the country is irrelevant.

Turkey is in Asia.

Upwork's software divides countries into continents, just like nearly every software system. It's not really any more complicated than that.

It would be complicated to modify the source code and database in order to implement exceptions.

If I am from French Guiana and we all there have french citizenship, does that mean that EU has a border with Brasil?

copy-pasting from World-Atlas...

Classic

3:)

French Guiana is a department of France and therefore, is part of the EU.  It does not matter what country it borders with. 

Turkey is not a member of the EU but "geographically" is a sort  of buffer zone between the Middle East (or western Asia) and Europe.

I dont know why there must be strict division between continents since this is not a geography class? I of course know we are mainly in asia but that doesn't mean anything. Turkey is part of many European organisations, we have more economic relations with Europe rather than Asia. 

All north african, middle east and central asian countries have relation with Europe. How do you think Roman Empire was built?

It is not a geography class.

It is computer software.

I am not the one in charge of any of this. I am only explaining why it works the way that it works. I can explain because I regularly create this kind of computer algorithm myself. Wherein each country is assigned to a continent.

Upwork already said they'll look into this matter. Maybe they'll change things.

Slightly unrelated, IDK if this is still the case, but Upwork used to see Mexico as not being in North America.

And economically speaking at least, it's true that it would make sense to have Turkey in Europe since the places in Turkey where most of its economy happens are mostly located on the European continent.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi All,

Upwork uses the United Nations geoscheme to define regions within Europe. This geoscheme groups Turkey into Western Asia. So I'd like to confirm that this current behavior is by design. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

I believe Upwork needs to reconsider this grouping, because according to that, Validivostok (Russian Federation) is considered Europe and Istanbul is Asia. Really?

colettelewis
Community Member

Koray Sercan K wrote:

I am from Istanbul(Europe) and i found a job which requires my location from Europe but i cannot apply. I think your system considers my location as Asia?

Unless you are actually barred from applying for the job (as is sometimes the case anyone outside of the U.S. who would like to apply for U.S. jobs), there is nothing to stop you sending a proposal, and you could add that, apart from Upwork's "geo-fixing", Turkey is generally considered to be part of the European continent (even if it is a sort of bridge between Europe and western Asia).

Same here, I'm also from the european side in Istanbul, will it be any chance to change the continent if the country has lands more than one continent? Or any option that will provide an selection to the end-user?
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths