Did you mean: 

Re: Turkey is not considered Europe?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
11 of 14

Hi All,

Upwork uses the United Nations geoscheme to define regions within Europe. This geoscheme groups Turkey into Western Asia. So I'd like to confirm that this current behavior is by design. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

puckrobin
Hakan O Member Since: Apr 22, 2019
12 of 14

I believe Upwork needs to reconsider this grouping, because according to that, Validivostok (Russian Federation) is considered Europe and Istanbul is Asia. Really?

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
13 of 14

Koray Sercan K wrote:

I am from Istanbul(Europe) and i found a job which requires my location from Europe but i cannot apply. I think your system considers my location as Asia?

Unless you are actually barred from applying for the job (as is sometimes the case anyone outside of the U.S. who would like to apply for U.S. jobs), there is nothing to stop you sending a proposal, and you could add that, apart from Upwork's "geo-fixing", Turkey is generally considered to be part of the European continent (even if it is a sort of bridge between Europe and western Asia).

omerv2
Omer A Member Since: Mar 6, 2019
14 of 14
Same here, I'm also from the european side in Istanbul, will it be any chance to change the continent if the country has lands more than one continent? Or any option that will provide an selection to the end-user?
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS