Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off Upwork Message Notifications in Time Tracker App

jorgensons
Community Guru
Signe J Member Since: Jan 29, 2016
1 of 8

I'm sure this is really simple, and once I learn how to do it I'm going to feel stupid for not figuring it out on my own, but...how do you turn off the pop-up window that appears whenever a message is sent through Upwork Messenger?  This feature must have been added (or turned on) by a recent time tracker update because it's a relatively new annoyance.

I  can see how it would be useful if you're waiting on an urgent message from a client or something like that, but 95% of the time I don't need to know *right now* and just end up getting distracted and bouncing between projects when it would be to my benefit to remain focused on one thing instead.  I'd rather check messages on my own schedule, at a point where it's convenient to shift my focus.

Anyway...like I said...I'm sure this is easy. I'm just too dumb to figure it out. 🙂

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 8

Hi Signe,

You can turn desktop notifications in your Messages Settings:

Screenshot_13.png

Screenshot_14.png

~ Valeria
Upwork
jorgensons
Community Guru
3 of 8

Valeria, is that a screenshot of the time tracker app? Mine looks very different -- no gear icon/settings, and in fact, no menus of any kind, either on the "messages" screen or the "contracts" screen:

contractlist.jpg:

messenger.jpg

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
4 of 8

On the time tracker app click on your name at the bottom. In the message app click on your picture at the bottom. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
jorgensons
Community Guru
5 of 8

THANK YOU! I've been so conditioned to find menus at the top that I didn't even consider looking at the bottom. *Facepalm*

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
6 of 8

It was at the top of the messaging app until recently.  I didn't even realized it had changed until reading your post and looking at your screenshots!!! lol

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
5b9ec447
Garret I Member Since: Jul 12, 2018
7 of 8

Is there a way to turn off alerts at a specific Group level only? And do this at the individual member level vs universally?

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
8 of 8

Hi Garret, 

If it's a message room with a group of people, you can turn off the notification on your Messages page by clicking on the bell icon just beside the group name. 

Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 11.19.52 AM.png

~ Avery
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS