🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Turning Off Time Tracker
Page options
annisa_sarah
Community Member

Turning Off Time Tracker

Hi,

I have one hourly contract which I agreed with the client to finish it for 3 weeks. Because of some reason from my side, the work exceeds 3 weeks and I turn off the time tracker on the 4th week so the client will not be charged more than our deal.

However, after the 4th week, I still see the money come to my transaction history but my time tracker is 0 hours in that week. What should I do? 

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
ahmed_foula
Community Member

Hi Annisa,

Please note that all time logged in your Work Diary, whether tracked or added as manual time, is automatically invoiced to your client using the schedule below.

• Week 1 – You log time using the Upwork Desktop App (Time Tracker)
  • Week 2 – Your time is invoiced to your client on Monday and they have until Friday to review your work
  • Week 3 – Earnings become available on the following Wednesday

Which means that the first earning you will receive from that job should be after around 3 weeks from the date you begun working on the project.

I hope this explains why you are still receiving those payments.

For more information about how freelancers get paid for hourly contracts, kindly check this Upwork Help page.

All the best,

Ahmed

⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

Hi Ahmed. Yes, I have withdrawn the first 3 weeks. Now it is the 5th week.

I usually get the notification to review my weekly cycle but this time I get no notice. Can I propose to refund or something so the client will not be charged?

Thank you

Hi Annisa, 

I would like to add to what Scott and Ahmed have shared. If you check your contract, you will see that you don't have any logged time for this week, and last week. On your Overview page (Reports > Overview), if you click the available tab, you will see that you received payments on 9/11, and 9/18 for hours logged on 8/26 to 9/01 (which was paid to your account on 9/11), and 9/02 to 9/08 (which was paid to your account on 9/18). Kindly refer to the invoices for 9/11 and 9/18 which you can find here for more information about these transactions.

~ Avery
Upwork

Yes, Avery. For invoice 09/11, I still track my work. But for the last invoice (09/18), I didn't log in to time tracker. How to remove the last one?

Hi Annisa,

Unfortunately you can't remove an invoice at this moment, you will need to refund the payment.
I would like to confirm that as Avery already clarified the last time you tracked your time was in the week 8/26 to 9/01. Before taking any actions feel free to send me more details about your contract so that I can double check the details and advise you accordingly. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

No, Goran. The last time login is 09/11.

The details:

-My contract started 08/15

-I have withdrawn the payment for  8/26 to 9/01

-I worked and logged in as usual until 09/11
-I logged out for the week 09/18

So the refund should be for 09/18. Is it me or my client to propose the refund?

Annisa S wrote:

No, Goran. The last time login is 09/11.

The details:

-My contract started 08/15

-I have withdrawn the payment for  8/26 to 9/01

-I worked and logged in as usual until 09/11
-I logged out for the week 09/18

So the refund should be for 09/18. Is it me or my client to propose the refund?

You do NOT need to refund ANYTHING.

The invoice of the 16th of September is for the work done during the week starting on the 9th of September and ending on the 16th of September. You said you worked until the 11th of September, and clients are always billed and charged on the Monday following the workweek.

It does not matter what day your contract started, the workweek always runs from Moday to Sunday.

browersr
Community Member

You get paid a week later so perhaps you are seeing the payment from the previous week.

As an aside, you should reconsider setting up your contract this way. The arrangement you describe sounds like a fixed contract but you ran it like hourly. The issue is that you are taking on all of the risk as you see by having turned off the time tracker while still working. Essentially you ran this like a "not to exceed" contract which means the client gets the work for less if you finish early or for an a max amount that can never be exceeded no matter how much it costs you. Not great. Either choose hourly and run it as such or use a fixed bid where you appropriately pad the agreed cost to cover risks. Just a suggestion.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members