cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Mistakes Upwork And Clients Are Making.

Highlighted
Emmanuel N Member Since: Dec 23, 2015
1 of 29
Okay, is not that I am trying to castigate Upwork, or.....(anyone), but when it comes to clients posting jobs on Upwork, there are some mistakes that both the clients and Upwork team makes.

Here are the two mistakes below.

On the side of clients

—Not Being Serious — when clients post jobs on upwork, they don't get serious with it. They just post job to let us waste away our bids, and they stay by the corner laughing at us.... (Hahaha), seriously, I hate this. It's better to get a message straight away that your bid was declined, than for you to waste it away just for no reason. It wasn't accepted and it wasn't declined, but wasted away.

Now for the side of Upwork.

—Not Setting A Short Time Limit For Jobs– Upwork should set a time limit for every job clients post. To make things fast, they should set at least, a time limit of one week for every job posted. If the job reaches its time limit, they should close it and return bids to clients.

Well, I know that might not be easy, but they should take this step to keep the upwork community in a better position, and this will also bring seriousness both on the side of clients and freelancers.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
2 of 29

@Nwaneke E wrote:
Okay, is not that I am trying to castigate Upwork, or.....(anyone), but when it comes to clients posting jobs on Upwork, there are some mistakes that both the clients and Upwork team makes.

Here are the two mistakes below.

On the side of clients

—Not Being Serious — when clients post jobs on upwork, they don't get serious with it. They just post job to let us waste away our bids, and they stay by the corner laughing at us.... (Hahaha), seriously, I hate this. It's better to get a message straight away that your bid was declined, than for you to waste it away just for no reason. It wasn't accepted and it wasn't declined, but wasted away.

How did you know that, Nwaneke?  Why will the effort  to submit proposals be wasted?  Do you have a paid membership?

@Nwaneke E wrote:

Now for the side of Upwork.

—Not Setting A Short Time Limit For Jobs– Upwork should set a time limit for every job clients post. To make things fast, they should set at least, a time limit of one week for every job posted. If the job reaches its time limit, they should close it and return bids to clients.

Well, I know that might not be easy, but they should take this step to keep the upwork community in a better position, and this will also bring seriousness both on the side of clients and freelancers.

In my experience, some job posts get cancelled by Upwork and the connects are usually given back to me.  I don't understand why the "bids will be returned to clients" once the post gets to be closed.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
S M Shahriar K Member Since: Mar 30, 2015
3 of 29

Juvy Ann P wrote:

Do you have a paid membership?

So you mean only the connects from the paid membership plan is something he can talk about?

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 29

@S M Shahriar K wrote:

@Juvy Ann P wrote:

Do you have a paid membership?

So you mean only the connects from the paid membership plan is something he can talk about?

Did I "say" that?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
5 of 29

@Juvy Ann P wrote:

Did I "say" that?

Did I "say" that too? No, that's why I'm asking.

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 29

I was asking Nwaneke if he has a paid membership because I could glean from his post that he is so concerned about having to "waste" connects that have been freely given to him.  But on second thoughts, I think I am in the wrong lane if I say that just because something  has been freely given to me means that it doesn't merit any sense of responsibility on my part.  Do you still have other questions, Shahriar?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
7 of 29

@Juvy Ann P wrote:

But on second thoughts, I think I am in the wrong lane if I say that just because something  has been freely given to me means that it doesn't merit any sense of responsibility on my part.  Do you still have other questions, Shahriar?

You were in the wrong lane indeed. No, I don't think I have other questions for you at this moment, Juvy. If I have, I will let you know. Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
8 of 29

True. Especially because there are newbies who create client accounts just so they can post a fake job to see for themselves how the system looks like from the other side.

And there are also people who don't like Upwork and they post fake jobs for no good reason. 

Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
9 of 29

It's fair to be able to see how system works, yes, of course.

It's not fair that freelancers who apply to a fake job waste their connects.

Kamaludin M Member Since: Aug 22, 2015
10 of 29

Agreed with the 1st point, I have seen clients who posted 40+ jobs then interviewed few freelancers but never hired anyone while others never look back once they post a job. Actually, there are many reasons clients never hire anyone - it may be because the position is filled, it may be they no longer need it, it may be bidders didn't meet clients preferred skill level etc.

Upwork normally closes a job after 2 months (not sure) of the job posting but I think they should just cut short and make it 1 month (suggestion).

I also believe if a client never hires anyone and the job expires, freelancers should get their connects back, currently, the only occasion where freelancers get connects back is when the clients cancel a project.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS