๐Ÿˆ Community
ยป Forums ยป Freelancers ยป Two Mistakes Upwork And Clients Are Making.
Page options
emmanuelex
Member

Two Mistakes Upwork And Clients Are Making.

Okay, is not that I am trying to castigate Upwork, or.....(anyone), but when it comes to clients posting jobs on Upwork, there are some mistakes that both the clients and Upwork team makes.

Here are the two mistakes below.

On the side of clients

โ€”Not Being Serious โ€” when clients post jobs on upwork, they don't get serious with it. They just post job to let us waste away our bids, and they stay by the corner laughing at us.... (Hahaha), seriously, I hate this. It's better to get a message straight away that your bid was declined, than for you to waste it away just for no reason. It wasn't accepted and it wasn't declined, but wasted away.

Now for the side of Upwork.

โ€”Not Setting A Short Time Limit For Jobsโ€“ Upwork should set a time limit for every job clients post. To make things fast, they should set at least, a time limit of one week for every job posted. If the job reaches its time limit, they should close it and return bids to clients.

Well, I know that might not be easy, but they should take this step to keep the upwork community in a better position, and this will also bring seriousness both on the side of clients and freelancers.
28 REPLIES 28


@Nwaneke E wrote:
Okay, is not that I am trying to castigate Upwork, or.....(anyone), but when it comes to clients posting jobs on Upwork, there are some mistakes that both the clients and Upwork team makes.

Here are the two mistakes below.

On the side of clients

โ€”Not Being Serious โ€” when clients post jobs on upwork, they don't get serious with it. They just post job to let us waste away our bids, and they stay by the corner laughing at us.... (Hahaha), seriously, I hate this. It's better to get a message straight away that your bid was declined, than for you to waste it away just for no reason. It wasn't accepted and it wasn't declined, but wasted away.



How did you know that, Nwaneke?  Why will the effort  to submit proposals be wasted?  Do you have a paid membership?

 


@Nwaneke E wrote:


Now for the side of Upwork.

โ€”Not Setting A Short Time Limit For Jobsโ€“ Upwork should set a time limit for every job clients post. To make things fast, they should set at least, a time limit of one week for every job posted. If the job reaches its time limit, they should close it and return bids to clients.

Well, I know that might not be easy, but they should take this step to keep the upwork community in a better position, and this will also bring seriousness both on the side of clients and freelancers.

 In my experience, some job posts get cancelled by Upwork and the connects are usually given back to me.  I don't understand why the "bids will be returned to clients" once the post gets to be closed.


Juvy Ann P wrote:

Do you have a paid membership?


 

So you mean only the connects from the paid membership plan is something he can talk about?


@S M Shahriar K wrote:

@Juvy Ann P wrote:

Do you have a paid membership?


 

So you mean only the connects from the paid membership plan is something he can talk about?


 

 

Did I "say" that?


@Juvy Ann P wrote:

Did I "say" that?


 Did I "say" that too? No, that's why I'm asking.

I was asking Nwaneke if he has a paid membership because I could glean from his post that he is so concerned about having to "waste" connects that have been freely given to him.  But on second thoughts, I think I am in the wrong lane if I say that just because something  has been freely given to me means that it doesn't merit any sense of responsibility on my part.  Do you still have other questions, Shahriar?


@Juvy Ann P wrote:

But on second thoughts, I think I am in the wrong lane if I say that just because something  has been freely given to me means that it doesn't merit any sense of responsibility on my part.  Do you still have other questions, Shahriar?


 You were in the wrong lane indeed. No, I don't think I have other questions for you at this moment, Juvy. If I have, I will let you know. Thanks.

sivavranagaro
Member

True. Especially because there are newbies who create client accounts just so they can post a fake job to see for themselves how the system looks like from the other side.

 

And there are also people who don't like Upwork and they post fake jobs for no good reason. 

____________
Don't correct my grammar!

It's fair to be able to see how system works, yes, of course.

 

It's not fair that freelancers who apply to a fake job waste their connects.

____________
Don't correct my grammar!
saydou
Member

Agreed with the 1st point, I have seen clients who posted 40+ jobs then interviewed few freelancers but never hired anyone while others never look back once they post a job. Actually, there are many reasons clients never hire anyone - it may be because the position is filled, it may be they no longer need it, it may be bidders didn't meet clients preferred skill level etc.

 

Upwork normally closes a job after 2 months (not sure) of the job posting but I think they should just cut short and make it 1 month (suggestion).

 

I also believe if a client never hires anyone and the job expires, freelancers should get their connects back, currently, the only occasion where freelancers get connects back is when the clients cancel a project.

emmanuelex
Member

Not to the clients, I meant to say freelancers. Thank you

It's okay, Nwaneke. Smiley Happy

emmanuelex
Member

Hi, kamal M, if clients post jobs, and they no longer need it, they should try to close the job and not leave it open for freelancers to bid on it just for no reason. Thank you.

Hi Nwaneke,

 

I understood your point, and I think it's fair but considering how busy they can be all of them will not be able to do that and Upwork will probably not intervene unless the job is 2-3 months old (this is when it expires)

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nwaneke and others,

 

As Kamaal pointed out there are various reasons why clients may take time to sort through the proposals and interview candidates before they hire, so we are not planing to limit the time they can use to do so. However, jobs with no activity during 30 days will be automatically closed.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria,

 

The discussion has been had before on closing jobs that are inactive in the past, but there are still jobs that have been open for years which have not hired anyone. Just because they check in and look at the job does not mean they are still interested.

 

Wouldn't it make more sense to be like any job board or newspaper even that you post a job for x amount of days and then repost it if you have not hired someone.

 

It is not like it is difficult to set the ad back up as Upwork has the option to post a previous job.

 

It is not limitin a client from a job. It just makes sense that jobs then would not be over 30 days old and they have the option to repost it.

 

I guarantee it would cut down on some of the **edited for Community Guidelines** postings.

We understand that it can be frustrating to see job postings posted a while ago in your Job Feed and we have shared the discussions you are referring to with the team. We will certainly let the Community know about any changes in policies.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I totally agree that it may take some time to sort through all the proposals that come in. Sometimes there are hundreds but on the other hand, by 30 days, it should be long enough to not only shift through proposals, but to actually hire someone.

 

Having "activity" means that a client can click on their job once during that 30 day period, and continue to do that each month and that job can stay up for years.  In my experience, and many times and years applying for jobs, by the end of 2 weeks at the most a decision is made on who will be hired. If a clien tis not ready to hire, or doesn't have a budget at the money, then they should NOT post a job.

emmanuelex
Member

Okay, somehow, I agree that sorting through proposals can be hard, but if a client is serious, 4-5 days is enough to hire a freelancer.

And secondly, if Upwork should reduce the time limit of every job to a shorter time, I think clients will be serious. With this, we will know the serious ones.

Upwork should remove any job post that stays upto 1 week without hiring anyone.

Seriously, I don't know who to blame, whether Upwork or the clients, but I think is Upwork.

What I like about the word "or" is that it separates options from each other.

What I like about options is that I am able to see how free I can be.

Now how am I using my freedom?

 

Nwaneke, there are actually other freelancing sites.  Why do you choose Upwork?

Hi Juvy,

 

Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but do you mean that since there are other freelancing sites out there, that Nwaneke should not point out Upwork's glaring defects?

Reinier, thank you for your question.  I don't mean it that way.  What I would like to reiterate is that knowing that we have options make us free human beings.  No one is obliged to stay in a system that have "glaring defects" (I'm just borrowing your words).  Thank you for having my name spelled correctly. Smiley Happy

emmanuelex
Member

Hi Juvy Ann P,

Sorry if I am wrong by redirecting your question back to you, but,

WHY DO YOU CHOOSE UPWORK?

because I don't know why I chose it ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜€

That is a good question, too, Nwaneke.  Why do I choose Upwork?  I am comfortable living with that question.  How about you?

emmanuelex
Member

Okay Juvy,

I will answer your question,

To be sincere, I chose Upwork because it's the number 1 Freelance Site, but that doesn't mean you will keep dieing silently. When you see wrong, you call it wrong.

Sorry for the wrong word I used โ€”dieingโ€” instead of dying.

Thank you.

Yes, completelly agreed with you! You are makinga great points.

It should save time and connections for freelancers. 

Exactly, ๐Ÿ™‚

markamono
Member

 

You guys said it right.

 

A) Some of the job postings are other ferrlancers simply scoping out other freelancers bids to copy and use them themselves.

 

B) Some of the job postings are other freelancers are simply price shopping.  Not serious of getting the work done.

 

We have an easy solution for this:

 

If the job is cancelled or not awarded, all connects should be returned the freelancer especially if the job posting is client's first job posting and client does not have a verified payment method.

emmanuelex
Member

That's why it's not good to bid for job postings by clients without verified payment method. ๐Ÿ™‚