🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Two different proposals asking to send em...
Page options
30781b9f
Community Member

Two different proposals asking to send email before contract to the same Email address.

Hi, am new to Upwork, after submitting proposal I received the message asking me to send a mail to given address before the contract. This has happened in two proposals with two different names, but the same email address was shared for contact outside Upwork. Please advise how to proceed?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Please advise how to proceed?"

Well, you already know that it is a violation of Upwork ToS for you to share your email address with anybody (BEFORE a contract is in place) in order to communicate. All pre-contract communications take place within the Upwork Messages tool.

So tell them:

"Darcie: Thank you for your interest in working with me. Upwork requires that all communications be done here in the Upwork Messages tool until a contract is in place. I will be happy to send you my email address or communicate with you via email after you click the green Hire button. I will accept the contract and we can then use any tool you want for communications. Until then, we can talk about the job using Upwork Messages."

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

Nickson:
You are new.

So you are targeted by scammers.

Scammers never bother with me, because they see on my profile that I am experienced on Upwork. So they know it would be a waste of their time.

So you can look forward to not being pestered by scammers in the future. For now, it's just something you need to learn to identify and then you won't waste your time with them.

An experienced freelancer such as myself can identify a scammer within a second. The scammers use the same techniques and the same wording over and over again. So it's not hard once you get the hang of it.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Please advise how to proceed?"

Well, you already know that it is a violation of Upwork ToS for you to share your email address with anybody (BEFORE a contract is in place) in order to communicate. All pre-contract communications take place within the Upwork Messages tool.

So tell them:

"Darcie: Thank you for your interest in working with me. Upwork requires that all communications be done here in the Upwork Messages tool until a contract is in place. I will be happy to send you my email address or communicate with you via email after you click the green Hire button. I will accept the contract and we can then use any tool you want for communications. Until then, we can talk about the job using Upwork Messages."

Thank you, Preston for the clarification. I was a bit hesitating to respond after observing the same pattern and the same email email address. But now am sure.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

NIckson,

Tell such clients something like:

"As you may know, during our pre-contract communication Upwork requires that we only use Upwork’s version of Zoom to talk through the specifics of what you need and to discuss any questions you and I have for one another:

On-platform Interviews – Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

After that call I can start work on this immediately. We can then use any method of communication you prefer."

If they're honest clients, they'll comply. If they're scammers, they'll refuse to comply or you'll never hear from them again.

If they refuse to comply, block them and move on to honest potential clients.

Thank you Will. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nickson,

Thank you for flagging this for us. I’ve escalated this report to the correct team for their review. Projects you're referring to have already been taken down because of violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the clients' accounts. 

Please check this help article for crucial information that will help you have a safe and successful journey on Upwork and use the Report Suspicious User Activity feature if you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service.

~ Bojan
Upwork
30781b9f
Community Member

Thank you Bojan.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members