🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: UGH! How can a client change their commen...
Page options
jendejournett
Community Member

UGH! How can a client change their comment?

HI:

I had a client that got frustrated.   We started the project but they didn't have all the information that they needed to get the project completed.   I was kindly helping them get control of their domain (a little billable but a lot I was just doing for free to be respectful of their budget).  Long story short - the client just vented on my profile in the heat of the moment because the process to gain control of their domain has been complicated on the domain owner side.   Anyway, client has agreed to edit their comment to remove the negative comment.  

(Yes, I have this in messages back and forth in Upwork's message system and all of our communication has been on the Upwork platform so I can document everything. I also have the agreeement where the client has agreed to change their comment.)

My question is how do I edit my settings to allow the project comment change? Is there a way to do that?  #Help. Thanks so much.

If they don't follow up, is there a way to get the comment removed since I have it documented?  I am guessing not...just thought I should ask.  Thanks bunches for the help.  Jennifer

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Leaving their comment unanswered is definitely the right call. I just read it and perceived a clear sub-text that they put you in a no-win situation and are not willing to completely own that. Which winds up not reflecting on you at all IMO.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
petra_r
Community Member

Jennifer D wrote:

My question is how do I edit my settings to allow the project comment change? Is there a way to do that?  #Help. Thanks so much.

Go to the Contract (My Jobs > All Contracts > Click on the Contract)

Pick the Terms & Settings tab

Click on "Allow client to change this feedback"

That puts an edit option on the equivalent on the client side.

Jennifer D wrote:

If they don't follow up, is there a way to get the comment removed since I have it documented? 

Nope.

Also bear in mind that the client can only change their public feedback (stars and words) - not their private feedback, so depending on the private feedback that went with that public feedback, your stats may take a hit regardless of any feedback change, and you might lose your RT status.

😢

Thanks.

I was trying to be careful about billing bc it was a nonprofit and they had change over so they didn’t know where their accounts were, etc. So, I put unpaid time into this project to get them back on track. So it’s uber disappointing have an hour discussion (plus other time) that I won’t be paid for but also have negative feedback that will hurt my score, etc. and hurt my chances at other work.

I see that you can respond to client feedback. If for some reason the client doesn’t change it as they indicate they will, is it wise to leave a response OR should I just leave it blank?

Most of my other work with other clients is hourly and continues ... I don’t have a lot of short term so this will get covered up soon —- any suggestions?

Jennifer D wrote:

I see that you can respond to client feedback. If for some reason the client doesn’t change it as they indicate they will, is it wise to leave a response OR should I just leave it blank?

See if the client will indeed change the feedback as promised. Most of the responses to critical feedback I have seen do more harm than good to be honest. I would leave it for now.

Jennifer D wrote:

I was trying to be careful about billing bc it was a nonprofit and they had change over so they didn’t know where their accounts were, etc. So, I put unpaid time into this project to get them back on track

You know, unless the client was whining about the budget, I am at a loss why you took it upon yourself to do that and then make it "a thing" with the client? Considering that (and how) the client makes a point of mentioning this in their feedback, that seems to have upset / irritated them.

Don't presume that a client can't afford to pay you for your work. If you do want to work for free, do so, but don't rub a client's nose in it. Nobody wants to feel like a charity case and clearly something here really rubbed the client up the wrong way.

Good point, it is a business. I shouldn’t have responded to the message so late at night from the client. Any conversation after 9 p.m. is probably a bad idea.

I guess it is because I did a similar job that only took 2 hours and this one was taking longer. Mostly because they didn’t know who owned their domain, where it was hosted, locked up the email GSuite system etc, I found the domain and then it was a struggle to try to regain ownership of it and having to locate the correct logins and work towards resetting everything so we could get it back on track They had an employee leave with no transition and information got lost in the shuffle.

I shouldn’t have worried about the cost of my time because the delays and extra time were because of the overall situation but I just like to be respectful of organizational resources. The client was a little difficult to read and I was just updating them on the steps.

But I was always polite and helpful
and have messages documenting the communication etc.

But lesson learned on my end and since I am newer on the platform, I guess those lessons are bound to happen ...I am just bummed bc I was gaining such momentum and picking up a steady stream of work - so I am just worried that the negative feedback will hurt me. That’s all.

Thanks bunches for the help.

Jennifer D wrote:
...I am just bummed bc I was gaining such momentum and picking up a steady stream of work - so I am just worried that the negative feedback will hurt me. That’s all.

I get it, and won't lie and pretend that it won't / can't hurt you. It certainly won't help.

But it's a numbers game and eventually it will be a distant memory and well down the page.

Go over the conversation you had with the client (the one that prompted his feedback in the first place) and take away what you can from that. Maybe not today though.

Then look forward 🙂

Thanks.

I was trying to be careful about billing bc it was a nonprofit and they had change over so they didn’t know where their accounts were, etc. So, I put unpaid time into this project to get them back on track. So it’s uber disappointing have an hour discussion (plus other time) that I won’t be paid for but also have negative feedback that will hurt my score, etc. and hurt my chances at other work.

Most of my other work with other clients is hourly and continues ... I don’t have a lot of short term so this will get covered up soon —- any suggestions?

Jennifer D wrote:
Thanks.

Never respond to client feedback, it looks petty. No potential client wants to go through a back and forth between client and freelancer, it will make them run for the hills, understandably. The few stars hurt, but the text is really not that bad, you will recover from this. 

One last question.  The client did revise their feedback and score.  In the light of the morning, the client realized that they were being overly harsh in their comments after re-reading the conversation.  

(it still isn't great, but at least it is better - further proof that don't respond to clients when they message you at 10 p.m. Wait until monring ideally after they had coffee and breakfast)

Now, that they changed their comment - I want to reset the setting so that they can't edit their comment again (not that I think they would (or at least I hope not) but just to be safe on my end, that would be the best, if possible)

Is there anyway I can do that??????

I also decided to not reply back to their feedback because - well, it is just better to let it be.   but I would like to lock the comment in.  

Jennifer D wrote:

Now, that they changed their comment - I want to reset the setting so that they can't edit their comment again (not that I think they would (or at least I hope not) but just to be safe on my end, that would be the best, if possible)

They can't change it again anyway.- the edit button can only be used once!

It would appear they actually can these days

Leaving their comment unanswered is definitely the right call. I just read it and perceived a clear sub-text that they put you in a no-win situation and are not willing to completely own that. Which winds up not reflecting on you at all IMO.

thank you

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths