🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: UK Clients
Page options
innov8develop
Community Member

UK Clients

Hi

I am fairly new to Upwork but have noticed that some UK clients set for example a $50 budget but in their project description refer to a price of £50.  My question is, do UK clients think that Upwork charges and payments are in £ sterling and might this be a reason I and many others look expensive when we quote in US$?  How can I overcome this issue?  Any comments and others' experiences welcome.

Angela

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "My question is, do UK clients think that Upwork charges and payments are in £ sterling and might this be a reason I and many others look expensive when we quote in US$?"

An inexperienced Upwork user may indeed think that.

re: "How can I overcome this issue?"
If you apply to a job posted by somebody in another country, then include a reminder that the numbers you are quoting are in U.S. dollars.

"Jasper: I read your job description. This is exactly the type of work that I do regularly. I can do this task for $100 U.S. dollars."

Thanks for your reply, I have been doing that, but my issue is that I am UK based and the prospective clients are UK based and some appear to read the $ as a typing error and assume I mean £ sterling.  $50 actually equates to approx £37 but I am sure some think $50 = £50

Angela E wrote:

Thanks for your reply, I have been doing that, but my issue is that I am UK based and the prospective clients are UK based and some appear to read the $ as a typing error and assume I mean £ sterling.  $50 actually equates to approx £37 but I am sure some think $50 = £50

For what it's worth, in 10 years and 300+ contracts, I've not once had an issue with that.

Thanks, that gives me hope Smiley Happy

My experience is similar to Petra's, in that in that I have often worked for clients who don't live in the U.S., but this issue never came up.

I have only read about it in a few posts in the Forum. I remember reading recently about a Canadian client who thought that the prices would be in Canadian dollars, not U.S. dollars.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

I sometimes quote my hourly rate in pounds within my job description. It's not that UK clients get confused (at least, none of mine have ever have), but £60 just sounds better than $80, IMO.

kinector
Community Member

I've never had this issue either.

Perhaps because in all discussions about the pricing before the contract starts I always mention 'USD' being the currency.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths