🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » UK Clients
Page options
innov8develop
Community Member

UK Clients

Hi

I am fairly new to Upwork but have noticed that some UK clients set for example a $50 budget but in their project description refer to a price of £50.  My question is, do UK clients think that Upwork charges and payments are in £ sterling and might this be a reason I and many others look expensive when we quote in US$?  How can I overcome this issue?  Any comments and others' experiences welcome.

Angela

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "My question is, do UK clients think that Upwork charges and payments are in £ sterling and might this be a reason I and many others look expensive when we quote in US$?"

An inexperienced Upwork user may indeed think that.

re: "How can I overcome this issue?"
If you apply to a job posted by somebody in another country, then include a reminder that the numbers you are quoting are in U.S. dollars.

"Jasper: I read your job description. This is exactly the type of work that I do regularly. I can do this task for $100 U.S. dollars."

Thanks for your reply, I have been doing that, but my issue is that I am UK based and the prospective clients are UK based and some appear to read the $ as a typing error and assume I mean £ sterling.  $50 actually equates to approx £37 but I am sure some think $50 = £50

Angela E wrote:

Thanks for your reply, I have been doing that, but my issue is that I am UK based and the prospective clients are UK based and some appear to read the $ as a typing error and assume I mean £ sterling.  $50 actually equates to approx £37 but I am sure some think $50 = £50

For what it's worth, in 10 years and 300+ contracts, I've not once had an issue with that.

Thanks, that gives me hope Smiley Happy

My experience is similar to Petra's, in that in that I have often worked for clients who don't live in the U.S., but this issue never came up.

I have only read about it in a few posts in the Forum. I remember reading recently about a Canadian client who thought that the prices would be in Canadian dollars, not U.S. dollars.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

I sometimes quote my hourly rate in pounds within my job description. It's not that UK clients get confused (at least, none of mine have ever have), but £60 just sounds better than $80, IMO.

kinector
Community Member

I've never had this issue either.

Perhaps because in all discussions about the pricing before the contract starts I always mention 'USD' being the currency.
Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Feb 13
Feb 28
Upwork Community Virtual Hour
Community Hour English
Mar 28
Upwork Virtual Community Hour
Community Hour English
Learning Paths