🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » UK VAT
Page options
ruijrcosta
Community Member

UK VAT

Hi,

I'm a new freelancer based in the UK (Scotland, to be specific).

I know this question has been brought up many times, but I wondered if you could give me an answer.

If you're registered as a sole trader and don't have a VAT number, Upwork will charge you the VAT as the final customer for their service, the same way Sainsbury's does when you buy something there.

However, if you request a VAT number, does Upwork still charge you VAT? Or will you just pay VAT to HMRC? And if you pay it to HMRC, can you reclaim VAT at the end of the year?

Thank you

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rui C wrote:

Hey Christine A,

That's great info. Thank you 🙂

But see if I had a VAT number, wouldn't it be the same money-wise? The 20% Upwork charges me, I'd just pay to HMRC, right? So I wouldn't have to overcharge anyone. I might be missing something here tho.

No, because Upwork doesn't charge VAT on the total value of your project, they only charge VAT on their service charge. So if you charge $100 for a project, Upwork deducts 20% ($20) plus 20% of that as VAT ($4). Whereas if you register for VAT, you/your client will owe HMRC 20% of $100 (the total project fee) - not 20% of $20 (Upwork's fee) - plus Upwork's service charge.

There's plenty of information online about the pros and cons if you want to look into it further. https://www.kashflow.com/should-i-register-for-vat/ But in general, it's not worth it if you're just getting started in freelancing.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rui,

Once you have your VAT number, you can add it by going to the Settings > Tax Information page. The tax ID that you submit must be in the format provided by VIES, or Upwork won't be able to validate it.

We will not charge VAT if a freelancer or agency has a valid VAT number. Upwork will charge VAT on any invoices created before and during the validation process. We can't refund you this amount. You may be able to claim credit for such amounts on your VAT return so please check with your tax advisor. You can also check this help article for more information.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Rui C wrote:

Hi,

I know this question has been brought up many times, but I wondered if you could give me an answer.

If you're registered as a sole trader and don't have a VAT number, Upwork will charge you the VAT as the final customer for their service, the same way Sainsbury's does when you buy something there.

However, if you request a VAT number, does Upwork still charge you VAT? Or will you just pay VAT to HMRC? And if you pay it to HMRC, can you reclaim VAT at the end of the year?

Thank you

It would be a bad idea to register for VAT just to avoid paying Upwork the VAT on their service charge, because that means that you'll have to charge VAT to all of your clients from now on - either by raising your prices or absorbing the costs yourself. It'll cost you more, not less. It's also an extra nuisance to fill out all the forms to remit the VAT to HMRC. My advice is not to register unless you have to (i.e. once your earnings are above the threshold).

Hey Christine A,

But see if I had a VAT number, wouldn't it be the same money-wise? The 20% Upwork charges me, I'd just pay to HMRC, right? So I wouldn't have to overcharge anyone. I might be missing something here tho.

Rui C wrote:

Hey Christine A,

No, because Upwork doesn't charge VAT on the total value of your project, they only charge VAT on their service charge. So if you charge $100 for a project, Upwork deducts 20% ($20) plus 20% of that as VAT ($4). Whereas if you register for VAT, you/your client will owe HMRC 20% of $100 (the total project fee) - not 20% of $20 (Upwork's fee) - plus Upwork's service charge.

There's plenty of information online about the pros and cons if you want to look into it further. https://www.kashflow.com/should-i-register-for-vat/ But in general, it's not worth it if you're just getting started in freelancing.

Thank you so much for such a clear answer

Thank you Christine

So in this example you’d pay 20% of the full project value to HMRC ($20) plus the 20% service charge to upwork ($20) deducting $40 in total bringing you down to just $60 profit? Is that correct?

I’m actually not sure if you should declare as earnings 100% of what the client is charged and then put Upwork’s charges as expenses, or if you should just declare what you earn after Upwork’s charges. Not sure

Hi Christine, thank you for your helpful answers on several posts. Would you have to charge VAT to ALL clients? Even those based in the US?
I am approaching the threshold where I would have to register for VAT in the UK, but I have a longstanding client in the USA who pay me through Upwork. They have no presence in the UK or in Europe.

Would I have to charge them VAT? Effectively increasing my prices by 20%?

Thank you for any insight into this!

colettelewis
Community Member

Rui C wrote:

Hi,

Thank you

Rui, 

Do check the UK tax system on this and the pros and cons of applying for a VAT number before it is obligatory, which normally is not  until you are earning in the region of £85,000 per annum. You might find this article useful: https://www.freelanceuk.com/news/16510-vat-uk-freelancer’s-overview.shtml

How do UK-based VAT-registered suppliers charge VAT on their services to UK-based customers using Upwork? Do we need to raise a separate VAT invoice directly to the client outside Upwork?

katyrichardson
Community Member

I am considering taking on a new client, which would push me over the threshold where I have to register for UK VAT. I have one longstanding client, based in the USA, who pay be through Upwork.

If I have to regiater for VAT in the UK, do I have to start charging VAT (effectively increasinging my prices by 20%) to my client? My client is based in USA and has no UK or European presence.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members