🐈
» Forums » Support » UK bank sort code not recognised
Page options
8d5c5032
Community Member

Unable to add local bank account

Hi,

I am a freelancer from Canada. I can't enter my local bank information to get paid. When I try to enter the institution number and transit number, it didn't gave me the option to go to next page. I checked my bank information for many times, and I am pretty sure everything is right! Please help me to set-up my payment detail. 

Thanks,

Ruiyu

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Gulnihal,

We’ve designed the process of Adding a Direct to Local Bank payment method to be as straightforward as possible. To add your bank account: 

1. Go to Settings  Get Paid
  2. Click Add Method
  3. Click the Set Up button for your chosen method
  4. Enter your bank account details, including bank codes
  5. Choose a payment schedule and click Next

Important things to know:

• For security reasons, your new payment method will become active in three days.
  • Check that the name on your bank account matches your verified name on Upwork. If your payment method was flagged for a name mismatch, please contact support to resolve the issue or add a new payment method.
  • You should also contact your bank if you're not sure you have the correct information, or if you received an error when you tried to enter it into our system.
  • Upwork charges $0.99 per Direct to Local Bank withdrawal. Any additional restrictions, timing regulations, and fees vary depending on your bank.
  • Be sure that you enter your bank information, including bank codes, correctly. We want you to get your money on schedule and any errors could result in a failed transfer or delay. If you've exceeded the character limit on the Name on Account field, please contact your bank to get an appropriate abbreviation.
    • Since some banks aren’t in our database or have recently changed their information, your bank details may not be recognized. In that case, you can enter your bank information manually by selecting the "enter branch address manually" option. On the pop-up that appears click "enter it manually."​ Once clicked, a new form will appear to let you enter your bank details. You may want to re-confirm the bank code and other information on file with your bank before entering changes manually in order to avoid potential problems with withdrawals.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

643 REPLIES 643
56f9ab99
Community Member

Hey, I have just set myself up on Upwork. I am trying to add my business bank account as a payment method but there is an issue when entering my bank sort code. The bank I am with is a business bank in the UK called Tide and is not being recognied. I can't seem to progress any further without solving this issue.

Any suggestions/solutions would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

I bank with Starling Bank (UK), but this bank is not yet listed on the freelancer profiles, any help on how I could/would receive payments.

Hi Nathaniel,

For security reasons, your new payment method will become active in three days. You can check this help article for more information.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

I am also struggling with the same issue. I've tried to reach out to Upwork customer support but cannot find and email address or helpful information about this anywhere! Can anyone from Upwork help?

Hi Chloe,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Having the same issue. Can someone please contact me. I have a Starling business account in the UK. My sort code is not being accepted.

Hi Eleanor,

I checked and it seems that you already created a support ticket regarding your concern. I reached out to the team handling your case and one of our agents will follow up with you on your support ticket as soon as possible to assist you further. 

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hi Nathan,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your payment method. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I am having the same issue. Can someone please contact me to get this resolved?

Thank you.

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ozlem,

I shared your request with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I have a monzo bank account and this app don't have this bank in their data

Hi Alex,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this. We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to further assist you.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi Team, 

I am new to Upwork and I have starling bank account . I have the same problem. Can someone reach out to me please ?

Thanks in advance. 

Regards,

Keerthi 

Hi Keerthi,

Could you please check this help article for more information about the correct format of the sort codes. Additionally, please contact your bank and confirm if you have the correct sort code. If the bank confirms that you have the correct code, you have the option to enter the branch address manually by clicking the green link ’’enter branch address manually’’ under the bank not found a section of your bank information tab.

Let us know if the issue persists. 

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi, when I put in my sort code, my bank, Santander UK is not found.
What do I do?
Thankful for help,
Louise
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Louise and Wilder,

Please contact your bank and confirm if you have the correct sort code. If the bank confirms that you have the correct code, you have the option to enter the branch address manually by clicking the green link ’’enter branch address manually" under the bank not found a section of your bank information tab. Let us know if the issue persists. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

hi there  , i am having the same issue. kindly please help account email address **Edited for Community Guidelines**

best regards

noor

Hi Noor,

Please check this help article for more information about the correct format of the sort codes. That said, since some banks that aren’t in our database or have recently changed their information, your bank details may not be recognized. In that case you can enter your bank information manually by selecting the "enter branch address manually" option. On the pop-up that appears click "enter it manually."​ Once clicked, a new form will appear to let you enter your bank details. You may want to re-confirm the sort code and other information on file with your bank before entering changes manually in order to avoid potential problems with withdrawals.

Thanks!
~Andrea
Upwork
vflood
Community Member

Hi, when I tried the manual option for inputting my bank details it still would not accept. Starling bank is an online bank, there are no brick and mortar branches to have an address linked to it.

How can I get my Starling Bank account registered to my account?

Vanessa F wrote:
Hi, when I tried the manual option for inputting my bank details it still would not accept. Starling bank is an online bank, there are no brick and mortar branches to have an address linked to it.

How can I get my Starling Bank account registered to my account?

Your Starling account is a fintech solution, and only accepts a very restricted range of international transfers.

Upwork Support cannot add a bank account manually for you - you must do that from your end.

If the system continues to reject your Starling account, you must add your account details from a so-called brick and mortar bank.

Hi, I’m trying to connect my monzo account but the sort code isn’t being recognised. Can someone please help
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Alina,

Could you please check this help article for more information about the correct format of the sort codes. Additionally, please contact your bank and confirm if you have the correct sort code. If the bank confirms that you have the correct code, you have the option to enter the branch address manually by clicking the green link ’’enter branch address manually’’ under the bank not found a section of your bank information tab.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
7a35492d
Community Member

Hi, I checked all of this and even when I tried to enter the bank address
the confirmation button was greyed out at the bottom of the address entry
page
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Alina,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with this concern.

Thank you for your patience. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hey Bojan i have the same issue as well. It would be appreciated if someone can reach out to me too. Kind regards

Hi Eric,

I've escalated your concern to the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork

I'm trying to add my bank as the withdrawl method but it's telling me 'bank not found' when I enter the Sort Code. The 6 digits i'm entering are as they appear on my card & def correct.

The account is Barclays bank & I'm in the UK.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Gary,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your payment method. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran,

I also face the same issue when I try to add my Barclays account in payment method.

Hi Asid,

If the bank address/details did not automatically populate you can check with your bank and make sure you've entered it correctly and that it is the correct one for your branch. Also, you can check with your bank branch if you have the correct address and try entering it manually.

~ Bojan
Upwork

I am trying to add by bank sort code to the payment method and it is not allowing me to add my sort code. I have followed the guidelines and it is not an incorrect number but it is the head office (general) sort code for the bank. 

Is there a way that you can add this sort code to that payment method?

Thanks,
Gareth 

Hi Gareth,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with this concern. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hello,

I am trying to set up my business bank account which I hold with Starling Bank, but the system says it's not found, it also doesn't allow me to enter it manually... Any advice??

Thanks

Hi Marcello,

Our team reached out to you via ticket to assist you further with your payment method. You can access your tickets on this Link, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi,

I have the same issue. After I add my bank details, it is telling me that the bank is not found.

Could you please help me sort this out?

Thank you,
Emil.

Hi Emil,

Thanks for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I have the same issue with a UK bank - need the sort code added. I've just chatted with Data.

Please help, bank has confirmed all details are correct but Upwork won’t find the bank. When I try to add the bank manually the ‘next’ button is greyed out and not clickable.

Thanks in advance,

Anna

Hi Anna,

Could you please clear your cache and cookies or log in with another browser to check if you’re still experiencing the same issue?

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths