🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » UK not in Europe?
Page options
lidiasavoiu
Community Member

UK not in Europe?

Some jobs restrict candidates to location in this case Europe which is fine. But I am from UK and apparently when I don't meet all the conditions because ....I'm not in Europe.

14 REPLIES 14
laazylizzard
Community Member

I think Brexit took its effect. I believe there is not much we can do. But you shall always remember location preference made by clients does not restrict you from applying for a job and there are several with qualities of the candidate out of the location preference made the client reconsider. 

Brexit or no, the UK is still part of the continent known as Europe. Upwork should probably make it a bit more clear as to whether they mean Europe as a geographical descriptor, or "Europe" as in "Member of the EU."

Michael S wrote:

Brexit or no, the UK is still part of the continent known as Europe. Upwork should probably make it a bit more clear as to whether they mean Europe as a geographical descriptor, or "Europe" as in "Member of the EU."

We're still a member of the EU... for now.

If it really has anything to do with Brexit, should be fixed.

Europe and European Union are not the same.

It's not like UK would move to another continent if they were to leave EU.

*edit
Just noticed that Michael S gave the same answer. Don't know how to delete my comment.

Fahad Hossain P wrote:

I think Brexit took its effect.

And the prize for the dumbest forum post of the year goes to....

1. Brexit has not happened yet.
  2. Even the most rabid Brexit supporters never suggested that Britain should be packed up and transported to another continent. Britain is located in Europe. As is Switzerland, which isn't in the EU either.

Lidia S wrote:

Some jobs restrict candidates to location in this case Europe which is fine. But I am from UK and apparently when I don't meet all the conditions because ....I'm not in Europe.

it is a bug 🙂

nyrrielatienza
Community Member

Hi Lidia,

Thank you for reaching out. Please bear with us as this may take a little time to get information since we’re waiting on a response from another team. We appreciate your patience and will update you guys as soon as possible.

~ Riri
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lidia,

Sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. One of our team members already reached out to you directly via support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Aleksandar D wrote:

Hi Lidia,

Sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. One of our team members already reached out to you directly via support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

Aleksandar, this is obviously something that needs to be fixed for all of us in the UK - do I need to reach out and get a support ticket too?

Christine A wrote:

Aleksandar D wrote:

. One of our team members already reached out to you directly via support ticket to assist you further.

Aleksandar, this is obviously something that needs to be fixed for all of us in the UK - do I need to reach out and get a support ticket too?

That's code for "let's not draw attention to it on the forum, there, have a lolly ticket."

Those things can't get fixed for one person, so once they are fixed in general, they are fixed for everyone affected, which is why I never open a ticket for such stuff, the tickets are all bundled together anyway, and once a bug is fixed, it's fixed.

They don't exclude you from the fix if you don't have a ticket 😉

Petra R wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Aleksandar D wrote:

. One of our team members already reached out to you directly via support ticket to assist you further.

That's code for "let's not draw attention to it on the forum, there, have a lolly ticket."

Those things can't get fixed for one person, so once they are fixed in general, they are fixed for everyone affected, which is why I never open a ticket for such stuff, the tickets are all bundled together anyway, and once a bug is fixed, it's fixed.

They don't exclude you from the fix if you don't have a ticket 😉

My post was my own form of code, meaning, "I don't want a lolly; are you going to fix this problem, or what?"

Hi all,

As an update, our team is aware of the issue you mentioned and are working on implementing a fix for it asap. As a side note, for known issues like these, we offer to create tickets for affected users if they don't have one already in order to automatically get an update once the issue is confirmed as resolved, in case they don't regularly check updates we post in the Community. We apologize again for the inconvenience.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Aleksandar D wrote:

As a side note, for known issues like these, we offer to create tickets for affected users if they don't have one already in order to automatically get an update once the issue is confirmed as resolved, in case they don't regularly check updates we post in the Community.

They'll notice, it'll be when they're back in Europe. 😉

There, there, have a lollipop!There, there, have a lollipop!

chhickish
Community Member

They have also moved Cyprus out of Europe...the best you can hope for is they will raise support request like they did for me...you will get some standard responses and then told it's too complicated for them to change (because apparently they have a system where changing what region a country is in is complicated!?!?!) and they will close the request and ignore you.

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all.

We received a confirmation that the issue with not meeting the location requirement has been resolved and I was able to confirm that the flag is no longer displayed for freelancers who reported it on this thread on job posts which include Europe as the preferred location. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths