🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » UK taxes
Page options
Community Member

UK taxes

I am a UK taxpayer but not a UK citizen, I have been living here for 4 years.
I have started to make some money on Upwork its less than 100 pounds so far. I have also filled the W-8BEN, but its just confirmation that I am not living or not U.S citizen, right? I did not touch the "vat" section, should I? What should write there exactly?
Should I now contact the HMRC to manage how to pay taxes on my profits ?

Thank you if anyone makes time to answer me.
Have a great day

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jan,


The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. I checked and it seems that you already added all the information for that form. You can check out this help article to learn more about it.


VAT is assessed on digital services provided by Upwork (i.e. service fees, membership fees, and connect purchases), not on services freelancers and agencies provide their clients. VAT rates are calculated according to the local rate of the freelancer’s country of residence. Please note that we will not charge VAT if you added a valid VAT number. You can add your VAT on the same page as for the W-8BEN form which is in Settings > Tax Information. Feel free to check out this help article for more information on VAT.


Please note that we can't give tax advice, so I recommend checking with a local tax advisor.


Thank you.

~ Aleksandar

Thank you for such a quick response. I appreciate it. Will do what you said 🙂

Many thanks


Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Jan 31
Feb 28
Upwork Community Virtual Hour
Community Hour English
Learning Paths